Wild camping in the pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jandwilson 04 Feb 2017
Hi

I'm going to France in a few days, was wondering if it could be worth taking a tent etc for some wild camping? It would be probably above the snowline most of the time as we would want to be in the mountains to make the most of the time. Is this a good idea? Or should I not bother? Thanks!
 oldie 04 Feb 2017
In reply to TheBigFactHunt:

Many years ago I went several times to the French Pyrenees in winter. There were many cabanes/shepherd's huts (marked on the maps), in addition the refuges, including those wardened in summer, were all at least partially open usually with dampish mattresses and there was usually no charge, One or two even had free canister gas stovesgas stoves. A good sleeping bag and a karrimat was always sufficient. In the valleys we could find somewhere adequate to sleep eg open fronted bus garage or under a lorry.
OP Jandwilson 04 Feb 2017
In reply to oldie:

Cheers
 goatee 04 Feb 2017

Check out this site. A wonderful source of info on all the huts..http://www.pyrenees-refuges.com/#8/42.899/0.678
Removed User 04 Feb 2017

Which part of the French Pyrenees are you going to?
On the IGN maps look for Abri or Orri as these are local names for the shepherd huts, Some are really basic and some have a fireplace and sleeping shelf. As goatee has said the internet source for refuges is great.
Cheers
Mike
Pyrenean-Trails
In reply to Removed UserMike Rhodes:

I'm gonna be in Arrens-marsous. I'll check out those websites and stuff . Would be great not to carry a tent around if I could sleep in the huts!
In reply to goatee:

Just had a look! Super useful thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...