La Sportiva vegan climbing shoes from 1990's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climber_Bill 02 Feb 2017

In the nineties, La Sportiva had a black vegan climbing shoe. It was quite good, but perhaps a bit ahead of its time as it didn't last that long in their range. It was similar to the Kendo in shape and style, just black and made of non animal products.

Does anyone remember what it was called? It's not important, I just can't for the life of me remember, even though I had a couple of pairs, and it's really bugging me.

Thanks.

TJB.
 mangoletse 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Climber_Bill:

the black shoes (with yellow piping etc.) were called Tao IIRC
 james mann 02 Feb 2017

Sportive Taos. Never had any but do remember them. The popular sportiva shoes from the 90s were kendos, mythology and cobras which were slippers like ninjas.

James
OP Climber_Bill 02 Feb 2017
In reply to james mann and mangoletse:

Yes, the Tao, thanks very much.

Also had the Kendos, and as you say James, they were the really popular Sportiva shoes. Could never understand why they were discontinued.

Thanks.

TJB.

Andy Farnell 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Climber_Bill: I had a couple of pairs of the Tao back in't day. Good shoe, decent fit and rubber but the black colour was bad news in hot sunny weather. Rather smelly iirc.

Andy F

Hat Dude 03 Feb 2017

The material was called Lorica IIRC

Probably of Italian origin as in the 90s I had a Fiat Tempra estate with seats of the same stuff; they were the least of the problems with that car!
 AlanLittle 03 Feb 2017
In reply to andy farnell:

I had a couple of pairs of those too. Great performance when new, but they had another innovative design feature: the rand didn't overlap under the sole, sole & rand were just glued together edge to edge. Briefly.
 Andy Farnell 03 Feb 2017
In reply to AlanLittle: Now you mention it, I do remember they had a build quality somewhat akin to BL cars in the mid 70's...

Andy F

Mike Owen 25 Feb 2017
Hi Richard, just seen your post. Wow, takes me back to North Stack Wall in 1990. I tested a few pairs of Tao's for DMM at the time. Was happy enough to trust them with my life on those scary climbs. Happy memories, thanks.

Ps. notice you're down here at the moment, have a wonderful trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...