Alpkit Brewkit - impressed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scarab9 31 Jan 2017
Afternoon all,

been looking to get a Brewkit for a bit and looks like I'm finally getting around to it.

The Jackal is sold out which is a shame, but the wolf doesn't appear to be much different (ever so slightly bigger...not sure if it's just the latest version or a larger version by design), but of the two reviews 1 is 5/5 "absolutely amazing" and the other is 1/5 saying it took nearly 9 mins to boil.

I'm presuming given what I've heard that the negative review is an anomaly but just wondered if anyone else could chip in with their experience?

(have looked at jetboils but the extra cost is a bit much for me, and I've always been impressed with alpkit products so do always look to them if they do what I'm after)
 galpinos 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

Original Brukit got mixed reviews:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=599246

No idea if it got updated? I'm sure there were more threads about it......
OP Scarab9 31 Jan 2017
In reply to galpinos:

hmm interesting. I was umming and ahhing between that and a proper stove (I don't have one at the mo). Seems there's not much between them in speed which does negate the brewkit's benefits (as far as I've understood it), though presumably a bit less faff?
I am several years behind on what stoves are like at this point so maybe that's an outdated philosophy on them and they're way more refined now...

I'll see what a few people say anyway and make a judgement.
 JoshOvki 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:
I had a problem with it, and no longer use it. If you over tighten the gas canister (very easy to do if the pot already attached) then you break the gas canister making it useless. Jetboil managed to solve this issue, not sure if AlpKit have yet. Cause me quite a few problems having 2 stoves but no gas because the brewkit had destroyed it.

I have plenty of other bits of alpkit kit, and love it all. Only issue I have had so far is with the brewkit.
Post edited at 17:03
 deepsoup 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:
I started a thread on this last year and was given some good advice:
https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=645113

Didn't plump for either in the end, just stuck with my existing stove for now, so can't add anything I'm afraid.
 angry pirate 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

I've used a Brukit for a couple of years now and I'm very impressed with it.
I did umm and ahh after the mixed reviews here but I really rate mine.
It is noticeably faster than my old Pocket rocket / Ti mug combo and is much more stable. it uses far less gas too.
I haven't gone head to head with a Jetboil but it has been a reliable performer.
I use Primus gas with mine so it will fit inside the pot. I've yet to wreck a canister with it but Alpkit did send it with a warming label about overtightening.
In reply to Scarab9:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=618261&v=1#x8094736

My review from a few years back with stats for gas use and number of boils and boil time.
Long story short I like it .

TWS
 DaveHK 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

Personally I dislike Jetboil style stoves. Bulky, unstable, not very versatile and heavy. Plus, the brukit at least suffered from a massive increase in boil time with half empty cartridges. Lots of folks like them but it didn't suit me.
 aceagles 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

I love mine.

Although I may not be as serious a user as most, boil times and efficiency etc is mostly lost on me.
Seems to boil quick enough, haven't timed it but definitely seems faster than 9 minutes.
 Dell 01 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

So what do you like?
 DaveHK 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Dell:
> So what do you like?

For the kind of application's you'd use a Jetboil for I use an Alpkit Kraku with a titanium mug or pan depending on exactly what I'm doing. It's much lighter and less bulky and it doesn't suffer from the reduction in performance on half empty canisters or in the cold as some heat reflects down from the burner and heats the canister. It isn't much slower than a Jetboil working on a full canister and it's quicker when the gas is running low. Like I said, maybe the Jetboil works for some but I really couldn't see any advantages with it other than neat packaging and a slightly faster boil time in some situations.
Post edited at 15:45
In reply to Scarab9:
I have the jackal and so far so good and at a good price. Still putting it to the test but even out in cold it has been fine
Post edited at 20:02
 bouldery bits 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

I have a jetboil and this: http://www.icebear.co.uk/product/optimus-crux-lite-solo-stove?utm_source=go...

The Optimus comes out more often.
In reply to Scarab9:

If all you want to do is boil water a Brukit/Jetboil set up works fine, but I admit I use mine more often out the back of the van than in anger in the wilds. My choice for wild camping/bikepacking etc is an Alpkit Koro with a windshield and any combo of Mytistack pans that suits.

To my mind, the advantage of a Koro type stove is you can invert the gas canister when it's getting empty or cold to eek out a little more umph.

Of course if you want to go hardcore ditch the gas and go with

http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop/?product=ultra-ultralight-8g-met...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...