Book with collection of walks as gift

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scarab9 29 Jan 2017
Hey folks,
Got a friend who's getting into hill walking and also some climbing who I'm starting to teach some skills and join for some of the days out. They're very enthusiastic so it's great to be able to help them get out there and see the amazing places we get to.

Anyway, just wondering if there was a good suggestion for a book which has avoid collection (either Wales/lakes or a general UK one) as a source of inspiration? I dont really know of any as my walking came came more from climbing and running background

(so a walking book similar to either Classic Rock is for climbing, or more region based like the John sparks book for the lakes.)
Lusk 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

I think you really can't go too far wrong by starting with these myself ...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=circular+pub+walks&ie=utf-8&oe=ut...

skog 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:
I was going to suggest "The High Mountains of Britain and Ireland" by Irvine Butterfield, but it appears to be out of print.

If you can find a copy, it's a really good book for the Munros, plus the English, Welsh and Irish 3000 footers.

Edit - it's available on ebay second hand, "Very Good" condition, anyway.
Post edited at 23:49
OP Scarab9 29 Jan 2017
In reply to skog:

Ooh
> I was going to suggest "The High Mountains of Britain and Ireland" by Irvine Butterfield, but it appears to be out of print.

> If you can find a copy, it's a really good book for the Munros, plus the English, Welsh and Irish 3000 footers.

> Edit - it's available on ebay second hand, "Very Good" condition, anyway.

Ooh that looks good, and thanks for spotting the eBay listing!
OP Scarab9 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> I think you really can't go too far wrong by starting with these myself ...

>

Thanks, might see if I can spot a copy of one to have a nosey at and put on the list. (payday Tuesday so all generosity is on hold until then)
 routrax 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

Dan Baileys ridges of England, Wales and Ireland book is pretty nice, covers a good cross section of scrambles/easy(ish) climbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Ridges-England-Wales-Ireland-Scrambles/dp/1852845392
 Dark-Cloud 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

For a real nice coffee table book that's actually useful this is the one......

http://www.billbirkett.co.uk/complete-lakeland-fells/
 tony 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

> (so a walking book similar to either Classic Rock is for climbing, or more region based like the John sparks book for the lakes.)

Ken Wilson published a book called Classic Walks with Richard Gilbert, a long time ago. It has a selection ofwalks form around the country, contributed by a whole host of notable authors. It's been out of print for a long time, but copies may be available on eBay or AbeBooks.

However, it's not as good as Irvine Butterfield's High Mountains, which someone else has very sensibly recommended. Butterfield's book is terrific, and as inspiration for days out in Scotland, can't be bettered. The inclusion of selected hill in England and Wales was probably a bit of an afterthought, but is nice to see.
 ScraggyGoat 30 Jan 2017
Gordon Stainforths ' Eyes to The hills' not a walking guide so to speak, but would provide visual inspiration to get out there into a variety of different mountainous parts of the UK.
OP Scarab9 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

Thanks guys, much appreciating the suggestions
In reply to routrax:

Thanks for the plug! It's out of print, sadly - hence high price on Amazon. I do still have a few copies for sale at the cover price...

An alternative walks collection of mine could be Great Mountain Days in Scotland: http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/612/title/great-mountain-...
 fimm 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I was just about to recommend that - although the OP did say "Wales/Lakes or general UK" and that one is (obviously) Scotland.
 Mark Bull 30 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:
> Ken Wilson published a book called Classic Walks with Richard Gilbert, a long time ago.

One of a trilogy, the others being "The Big Walks" and "Wild Walks". Classics, but arguably a bit dated.

There's also Tony Greenbank's "Walking Britain's Skyline"
Post edited at 14:30
 tony 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Mark Bull:

> One of a trilogy, the others being "The Big Walks" and "Wild Walks". Classics, but arguably a bit dated.

I didn't know that. I got Classic Walks from my dad - I'll have to look for the others.
 Mal Grey 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:
Another vote for Butterfield's "The High Mountains", inspirational to me in my early hillwalking days.

Richard Gilbert's Classic, Big and WIld Walks as mentioned are another classic series. There was also a compendium of the best of the three called 200 Challenging Walks I think - not quite as nice as less images, but still good.
Post edited at 16:38
OP Scarab9 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

thanks to you all.
Ordered the High Mountains copy that Skog spotted (it was remarkably cheap listing compared to all the others for it I saw so couldn't say no!) as it seems the popular choice. May check out some of the others too but too good a deal not to check it out.
 routrax 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

No worries Dan, it's a good book! I've been working my way through it and the Scotland ridges one for a couple of years now.
 Dave Hewitt 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

> Ordered the High Mountains copy that Skog spotted (it was remarkably cheap listing compared to all the others for it I saw so couldn't say no!)

Re the late Irvine B's fine book, if you're buying a copy unseen online and it seems very cheap, be aware that as well as the all-singing all-dancing big-format picture edition, there was also a pictureless paperback smaller version, designed to be carried in a rucksack. That was a lot cheaper when first published, and second-hand editions will likely be cheaper than the main edition too.

Simon Caldwell 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Mark Bull:

> One of a trilogy, the others being "The Big Walks" and "Wild Walks". Classics, but arguably a bit dated.

These were my original inspiration when I started out hill walking. Wild Walks is the best and has aged well I think; the others perhaps less so.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

Specific to the Lakes but this was my most used guide in the early days, and well worth getting at this price
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/High-Lakeland-Fells-Bob-Allen/0711225273
 OMR 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Scarab9:

Another option is 'Britain's Highest Peaks' by Jeremy Ashcroft. Has chapters on - you guessed it - all of Britain's highest peaks, with annotated maps and directions for a variety of ways up each, ranging from simple walks to easy scrambles. Attractively produced.
In reply to Scarab9:

I've just started to take an interest in walking and looking for places to start (this forum being one of them). Thanks for the suggestions - both "The High Mountains of Britain and Ireland" and "On High Lakeland Fells: The 100 Best Walks and Scrambles" are on order.
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Mar 2017
In reply to Mark Bull:

I wouldn't give anyone 'the Big Walks' - they really ARE big! My copy has been making me feel inadequate for the best part of 40 years.
Wulfrunian 13 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Picked up a first edition of 'On High Lakeland Fells' a few years ago for 80p at a local second hand book shop! Still my go to guidebook for the Lakes. Mr. Allen's 'On Foot in Snowdonia' is also worth seeking out - similar in layout to the Lakes guide. Was going for silly money a couple of years ago but I've seen it for less than a tenner a couple of times more recently.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...