Rucksack, knapsack, or backpack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 25 Jan 2017
Any more names? What do you call yours, and what's the difference?

Mine's a rucksack, sometimes a sack or a pack.
 Toerag 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I know someone who calls his a backsack
 GridNorth 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Ex-military types tend to call them Bergens.

Al
 olddirtydoggy 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Back sack and crack
 subtle 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

a haversack
 simonharpham 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I say rucksack or backpack, but they all mean the same thing although they have different ages and roots.

Knapsack is German in origin and dates to 1600.
Haversack is French in origin and dates to 1735.
Rucksack is alpine German in origin and dates to 1866.
Backpack is English in origin and dates to WWI.
Bergen is English/German in origin and dates to WWII.
OP Trangia 25 Jan 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

> Ex-military types tend to call them Bergens.

> Al

Fine for the military, but I always think that sounds so crass in a civilian context
 jon 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Fine for the military, but I always think that sounds so crass in a civilian context

I once worked with an ex squaddie at PyB and he insisted on saying Bergens. I called them sacs or rucsacs. This infuriated him to the point that one day he fixed me with one of those one-more-word-and-you're-dead stares and said flatly 'They're Bergens, Jon'. And Bergens they were, after that...
 Flinticus 25 Jan 2017
In reply to simonharpham:

You know too much..
 subtle 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Fine for the military, but I always think that sounds so crass in a civilian context

I never realised that people used that term - ooh, that sounds so crass!

ooh, you are awful!
 simonharpham 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Nah, I just use etymonline.com.
 GridNorth 25 Jan 2017

I always thought Bergens were named after a Norwegian called Bergen but I bow to your superior knowledge.

Al
 Martin Bennett 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:
For my reply I sought advice from Max Bygraves, that great expert on all things outdoor, and found that he endorses the use of knapsack. Altogether now - singalongamax:

I love to go a-wandering,
Along the mountain track,
And as I go, I love to sing,
My knapsack on my back.
Chorus:
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri,Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back

But seriously, in Britain, unless army (about which more earlier) it has to be rucksack, or more often spoken as simply "sack", surely? Backpack is far too American and knapsack and haversack are archaic, no?
Post edited at 16:05
OP Trangia 25 Jan 2017
In reply to subtle:

> I never realised that people used that term - ooh, that sounds so cra

I think it's a good word to try and convey what I was trying to get across. Can you think of a better word to describe the behaviour of someone who is actually not ex military at all, but wants other people to think they are by casually dropping military terms into their speech? You must have come across these slightly sad individuals?
OP Trangia 25 Jan 2017

> I say rucksack or backpack, but they all mean the same thing although they have different ages and roots.

> Knapsack is German in origin and dates to 1600.

> Haversack is French in origin and dates to 1735.

> Rucksack is alpine German in origin and dates to 1866.

> Backpack is English in origin and dates to WWI.

> Bergen is English/German in origin and dates to WWII.

Wow! I'm impressed by your historical knowledge, and date precision.

Looking at Rucksack. How should it be pronounced? Many people say Ruck as in the Rugby "ruck", but if it's of German origin should it not be "rook" as in the bird?

Looking at Bergen - isn't that Norwegian rather than German?
 GrahamD 25 Jan 2017

I always thought a haversack was something different, one strap a bit like a satchel ?
 The New NickB 25 Jan 2017
In reply to GrahamD:
I think you can only refer to it as a haversack or knapsack if you are one of the Famous Five or Secret Seven.
Post edited at 18:28
 Dr.S at work 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

We used to refer to my Grandads as his 'heavysack'
 Neil Williams 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Rucksack, or just bag. Never "pack", it sounds too much of an Americanism.
In reply to Trangia:
It's more "rueckzak" than "rook", as there's an umlaut on the U in "Ruecksack", which, as I have done there, you substitute with "ue" if you can't / can't be bothered to type it.
Post edited at 18:42
OP Trangia 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Never "pack", it sounds too much of an Americanism.

Is it American? The British Army called it their "pack" in the Great War, see the penultimate line of Sassoon's poem:-

The General
BY SIEGFRIED SASSOON
“Good-morning, good-morning!” the General said
When we met him last week on our way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of 'em dead,
And we're cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
“He's a cheery old card,” grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

Tom Last 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:
I was told (by a guide in the Blue John Cave as I recall) that knapsack is an old mining term for such a bag, referring to the act of 'knapping' a rock.
Post edited at 19:01
In reply to Trangia:

A lot of Americanisms are actually olde Englisheisms that we evolved away from but they didn't. Stuff like "ize" is as well.
 Martin Bennett 25 Jan 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

> I always thought Bergens were named after a Norwegian called Bergen but I bow to your superior knowledge.

> Al

Right on Al. Though I think it was Bergans rather than Bergen. I even had a "Bergans of Norway" labelled canvas sack when I started climbing in 1965, inherited from me Dad who'd had it since World War II. It was the classic triangular framed job, widest at the bottom.

Imagine me then, with that and me Dad's Black's ventile anorak and Munari of Cornuda Italian leather boots, cutting a dash around the Lancs quarries and Yorkshire limestone crags we started on.
 Matt Vigg 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I was in el Chorro many years ago on a big route and two hardcore guys caught us up and we briefly shared a stance for a water break before they sped off. We'd made a little water bottle backpack by clove hitching a sling to the top of the bottle leaving two loops for the arms and when they saw it one of the guys said in a strong accent "I like your backside"! So that's what I call mine....
 simonharpham 25 Jan 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

No, I think you're right ... I got the thing about Bergens from the WIKI article on rucksacks ...

"In fact, Britons used to call Alpine-style backpacks "Bergen rucksacks", maybe from the name of their creator, Norwegian Ole F. Bergan, combined with the name of the Norwegian city of Bergen.[citation needed]"

Besides I don't actually know anything, I just regurgitate stuff I read elsewhere
 DerwentDiluted 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:
> Is it American? The British Army called it their "pack" in the Great War,

The Pattern '08 webbing contained both a Haversack and a Pack. My etymological dictionary gives Haversack as coming from the German Hafersack being an Oats bag. 'Pack' originates in Flanders/Netherlands/ North Germany and originally refers to a bundle -of wool.
Post edited at 20:53
 DerwentDiluted 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Tom Last:
> I was told (by a guide in the Blue John Cave as I recall) that knapsack is an old mining term for such a bag, referring to the act of 'knapping' a rock.

Indirectly yes, apparently they both come from the German 'Knappen' which is the source word for knap as in to strike flint, and also means 'crack' 'snap' 'quick sudden bite' and refers to preprepared broken up pieces of food carried for utensil and preparation free eating, something to consider when travelling. So a knapsack is a bag for chunks of ready to eat food, the sort of thing you would 'snap up'.
Scnapps also comes from this, something you drink quickly/suddenly
I suspect that the Sheffielders use of the word 'snap' for food stems from this too.
Post edited at 20:55
 GridNorth 25 Jan 2017

> Besides I don't actually know anything, I just regurgitate stuff I read elsewhere

Isn't that what every body does?

Al
 GridNorth 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I'm sure you were kitted out like that when we went to Morocco !

Al
 d_b 25 Jan 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

Nah. Some of us just make it up.
 Tom Last 25 Jan 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Good knowledge and interesting stuff, cheers.
 Stu Tyrrell 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Cragsack.
 radar 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Dora the Explorer has a backpack. So, as a result what were once backpacks in Chateau Radar are now very definitely rucsacs. (I've always had rucsacs, or sacs). Grandad Radar (my dad) talked of knapsacks and haversacks. Radarling #2 has a Bergen cos he is in army cadets and is all camo and ready to kill bad guys. He gets very upset if I call his bag a rucsac.
Post edited at 23:07
 Bootrock 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Daysack
 DerwentDiluted 26 Jan 2017
In reply to radar:
> Radarling #2 has a Bergen cos he is in army cadets and is all camo and ready to kill bad guys. He gets very upset if I call his bag a rucsac.

I love this obsession from military types with calling a rucksack a Bergen, its kind of like Spinal tap,

"This is my Bergen, it goes to 11"
"But its a rucksack"
"No its a Bergen"
"What makes it different from a Rucksack?"
"Its.... a Bergen"
Post edited at 08:32
 GridNorth 26 Jan 2017
I would say it's fair enough to call a pack a Bergan or a Bergen (I have looked this up, it's a known and accepted variant on the word) if it has "Bergan" written on it but to call an Arcteryx rucksack a Bergan is just perverse.

Al
Post edited at 09:32
 Rog Wilko 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I've always used a rucksack but as a concession to modernity I now spell it rucsac. Unfortunately nobody notices.
 Fredt 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:
I always say Sack.
Though I'm not sure if it's spelt Sack or Sac.
Post edited at 09:47
 GridNorth 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I've always used a rucksack but as a concession to modernity I now spell it rucsac. Unfortunately nobody notices.

Or cares

Al
 GrahamD 26 Jan 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

Sadly I googled 'haversack' after that and it does appear to be a different beast to a 'rucksack'. Single strap rather than double. Definately out of Swallows and Amazons though.
 Bootrock 26 Jan 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

> I would say it's fair enough to call a pack a Bergan or a Bergen (I have looked this up, it's a known and accepted variant on the word) if it has "Bergan" written on it but to call an Arcteryx rucksack a Bergan is just perverse.

A rucksack is a rucksack. A Bergan is a huge rucksack. Over 100L. With a top flap. Made of tough old school materials that won't break when you stand on it to get more shite in.
Always weighs twice as much when it's wet.

Neil Williams 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Fredt:
If it comes from the German it's Rücksack, which literally translates as "back bag" or "back sack".

"Rucsac" sounds a bit 1980s/1990s for some reason.
Post edited at 10:45
 Doug 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Bootrock:
surely its just a rucksack from the Norwegian company called Bergans?

But have you looked at their current range ? (https://www.bergans.com/catalog/backpacks? ) - nothing like the heavy canvas & metal framed things beloved of Scout leaders back in my childhood, they even have 'lady' models! (https://www.bergans.com/catalog/backpacks/daypacks/Istinden-26-L-Lady)

(edited to correct spelling)
Post edited at 10:50
 simonharpham 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Ha! It's not my knowledge - I'm just handy with a search engine ... I expect those dates are earliest occurrences in print and the words probably occurred earlier in spoken language. And yeah Bergen would be Norwegian ... I misread the WIKI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpack)
 simonharpham 26 Jan 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

From the looks of it that would be the original meaning (a small cloth bag on a strap worn over one shoulder to carry havercakes or oatcakes), but in current English usage it's a synonym for backpack.
 The New NickB 26 Jan 2017

> From the looks of it that would be the original meaning (a small cloth bag on a strap worn over one shoulder to carry havercakes or oatcakes), but in current English usage it's a synonym for backpack.

And lashings of ginger beer!
 GrahamD 26 Jan 2017

It may be common but not universal. My father and grandfather always made a distinction between a rucksack and a haversack. Especially important because at the time it was cool to have a khaki canvas rucksack from the army and navy (preferably with added 'designer' frayed bits and covered in felt tip band logos) but an otherwise equivalent khaki haversack was naff and basically a satchel.
 GridNorth 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Weren't the original knapsacks gas mask bags?

Al
 Xharlie 26 Jan 2017
Firstly, you're wrong: "Rucksack" does not have any umlauts - at least not according to any of my German or English/German dictionaries or Google. (Excluding my monstrous yellow hardcover one, which is currently 20km away, at home.)

Seccondly, the "ue" spelling is an unhelpful substitution for "ü" in my experience because it suggests a sliding vowel sound from "u" to "e" to the English reader who has never had a German lesson. This sort of sliding vowel sound may be common in english but is almost never found in German. (I know it is the technically correct substitution, I still find it unhelpful.)
Post edited at 11:54
 wercat 26 Jan 2017
In reply to GrahamD:
I think you are right. In the days of 37 pattern webbing on school field days "Haversack" rations were issued which were carried in a small pack with a single strap. I'm sure John Peel would have known the difference, with his references to "adjusting your webbing".

I thought Bergan came in to distinguish the brand of scandinavian style rucsack issued to Commandos etc in WWII which had that brand name from the normal webbing horror pack

perhaps they got them from Black's - That Bergan style was sold in outdoor shops well into the 70s - I had one before I knew better things existed. Triangular metal frame with leather straps and a kidney banging strap across the lower back.
Post edited at 11:55
 wercat 26 Jan 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

The ex wwII haversack was often used as a"bait bag" by men going to work when I was growing up - don't know when that died out.
 Bootrock 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Doug:

I meant when used as a military term.

wercat 26 Jan 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

I suspect that they were named after something from the Skiing firm that still exists, but were mistakenly called Bergen after the place almost everyone had heard of and associated with Norway.
 DerwentDiluted 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Found it, the Bergen is the Pattern '42 Bergen Rucksack made for special forces use based on a design by Bergans, a Norwegian manufacturer.

British WWII Era Commando P42 Bergen Rucksack ima-usa.com
http://www.ima-usa.com/british-wwii-era-commando-p42-bergen-rucksack.html

So, its a rucksack type made for military use and the term Berge/an is a brand name. Continued use of the term Bergen by the military is now a colloquialism.
Post edited at 12:48
 wercat 26 Jan 2017

the external frame was patented by Oetzi's people long before!
 Fredt 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

OK, We have a haversack for my ramble, A rucksack for my hike, a Bergan for my yomp.

What do I take on a walk?
 MonkeyPuzzle 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Fredt:

> OK, We have a haversack for my ramble, A rucksack for my hike, a Bergan for my yomp.

> What do I take on a walk?

A pork pie.
 Neil Williams 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Xharlie:
> Firstly, you're wrong: "Rucksack" does not have any umlauts - at least not according to any of my German or English/German dictionaries or Google. (Excluding my monstrous yellow hardcover one, which is currently 20km away, at home.)

So it hasn't, which is odd considering that Rücken is back. Ruck (without the umlaut) actually translates as "jerk" - not the insult, but as in a sharp pull. I wonder how that derivation came about?

> Seccondly, the "ue" spelling is an unhelpful substitution for "ü" in my experience because it suggests a sliding vowel sound from "u" to "e" to the English reader who has never had a German lesson. This sort of sliding vowel sound may be common in english but is almost never found in German. (I know it is the technically correct substitution, I still find it unhelpful.)

I'm not convinced that's much of a problem, partly because someone who has never spoken any German isn't going to have much of an accent, and partly because the sound actually is represented by a kind of merged "ue" sound (but not a flowing vowel from one to the other, more both at the same time). In any case, it would hardly be appropriate to define the rules of one language (German) based on people learning it from another language (English).
Post edited at 13:53
 defaid 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Fredt:

In reply to Fredt:

The dog?

At my age, what's hanging off my shoulders doesn't weigh as much as the second sack I wear round the front. I call that one my belly. Or occasionally the cider-baby...

Day-sack if I'm out for a stroll or scrambling or cycling. Rucksack if there's more to carry. But they're both referred to as 'the sack' if they're named at all: 'Where's the lighter?' 'Lid-pocket.'

A mate at work is a retired ACE Mobile FAC and it's always a bergen to him. Just like Trangia, I can't say it myself - it sounds as pretentious coming from my civvie mouth as calling Afghanistan Afghan.

D
OP Trangia 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Fredt:
> OK, We have a haversack for my ramble, A rucksack for my hike, a Bergan for my yomp.

A day sack! No one's mentioned them yet.

Edit: Hold on, L defaid has!

And then there are bum bags too.
Post edited at 15:19
 GrahamD 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> And then there are bum bags too.

What, you mean fanny packs ?
 Siward 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

What do people take on a fortnight's backpacking? Rucksacking? Haversacking? Bagging?
 subtle 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> I think it's a good word to try and convey what I was trying to get across. Can you think of a better word to describe the behaviour of someone who is actually not ex military at all, but wants other people to think they are by casually dropping military terms into their speech? You must have come across these slightly sad individuals?

Ok, I concede, crass is a good option for describing that.
A better option though be to describe them as being (better not swear)
 SenzuBean 26 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Tramping pack is what they're called in NZ. My crag bag (surprised nobody mentioned this one?) was actually bought as a tramping pack.
In reply to jon:

> I once worked with an ex squaddie at PyB and he insisted on saying Bergens.

I always thought the UK military use came from the Norwegian (e.g. RM Arctic Cadre). And probably a confusion between the place, Bergen, and the manufacturer, Bergans.

Although the suggestion that the name derives from Dutch/Germanic meaning 'to store, or stash away' is pretty convincing.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bergen

In reply to Trangia:

If you're thinking of Bergen-Belsen, I'm pretty sure that's not the etymology.

Me: rucksack or daysack, depending on size.
Knapsack or haversack to me is a single, over-the-shoulder strap bag.
Post edited at 18:23
 Jim Walton 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I've always called it a Pack. If it's good enough for the Stone Roses then it's good enought for me.

"The gold road's sure a long road
Winds on through the hills for fifteen days
The pack on my back is aching
The straps seem to cut me like a knife"
Fools Gold
Removed User 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Being German and all, I obviously call it a Rucksack. However, in English I say backpack. I am unsure why English maintains two words for the same thing, which seems awfully wasteful and inefficient to me

That is, unless there is a difference in meaning?
 wercat 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed UserFuchs:

backpack is american - first time I remember it being used was for the Apollo astronauts. I suppose we imported the term backpacking and then backpack itself. Was always rucksack for me and still is
 jimtitt 19 Feb 2017

> So it hasn't, which is odd considering that Rücken is back. Ruck (without the umlaut) actually translates as "jerk" - not the insult, but as in a sharp pull. I wonder how that derivation came about?

From rug or rugg (or ruggi), old Schweizerdeutsch for back.
 JEF 19 Feb 2017
In reply to wercat:

> backpack is american - first time I remember it being used was for the Apollo astronauts. I suppose we imported the term backpacking and then backpack itself. Was always rucksack for me and still is

I don't think we should trust people who hold their pants up with suspenders!
 john arran 19 Feb 2017
In reply to wercat:

> backpack is american - first time I remember it being used was for the Apollo astronauts. I suppose we imported the term backpacking and then backpack itself. Was always rucksack for me and still is

You're right, we should strenuously resist all attempts to pollute our fine English language with words of foreign origin.
 jon 19 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:

Absolutely. Ban 'rappel' in favour of the good old english 'abseil'.
 Neil Williams 20 Feb 2017
> Being German and all, I obviously call it a Rucksack. However, in English I say backpack. I am unsure why English maintains two words for the same thing, which seems awfully wasteful and inefficient to me

Bothering about those things is much more a German thing than an English thing. We are good at being wasteful and inefficient, unlike Germany
Post edited at 08:35
 Neil Williams 20 Feb 2017
In reply to jon:

> Absolutely. Ban 'rappel' in favour of the good old english 'abseil'.

Good old German you mean
 jon 20 Feb 2017

Oh dear, Neil...
 Robert Durran 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Any more names? What do you call yours, and what's the difference?Mine's a rucksack, sometimes a sack or a pack.

Mine's a carrying system (because I paid more for it).

In reply to jon:

> Absolutely. Ban 'rappel' in favour of the good old english 'abseil'.

I "rope down" just like Victorian gentlemen used to. None of this foreign nonsense for me.
 jon 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

You ARE a Victorian gentleman, Rob.
 Rog Wilko 20 Feb 2017
In reply to jon:

Looks like we need an irony indicator, Jon.
Dheorl 20 Feb 2017

I think it's possibly a region thing. Where I am they do hold different meanings; by and large you have a rucksack for going to school with and a backpack for going backpacking with.

No idea if this applies nationwide though, not something that comes up much.
In reply to Dheorl:

> By and large you have a rucksack for going to school with.................

Surely you go to school with a school bag. Or, in my case, a 5p Tesco carrier bag.
 galpinos 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

> I think it's possibly a region thing. Where I am they do hold different meanings; by and large you have a rucksack for going to school with and a backpack for going backpacking with.No idea if this applies nationwide though, not something that comes up much.

Where is this?

Dheorl 20 Feb 2017
In reply to galpinos:

Bristol.
Dheorl 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Surely you go to school with a school bag. Or, in my case, a 5p Tesco carrier bag.

Sure... that's why I just said something different, because what I really meant was what you said...
 Stu Tyrrell 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

In fact I think I always just say SACK!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...