L2 Fitness Instructor courses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anyone on here a fitness instructor? Thoughts on providers, courses, work opportunities etc.

Thinking about additional qualifications rather than a full career change.

Thanks.
Tomtom 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Hi Stuart.
I did my level 2 and 3 a few years ago. I haven't used either for a day of paid work since, although I have had chances.
The industry is very saturated, lots of people are doing the course, it's easy and people think it'll get them away from the 9-5 rat race.
As a level 2, expect work in a council gym, probably minimum wage, and crap hours. Other than that, you'll be hard pressed to find what you want.
Although it's more time and money, going for level three will open it up for you a bit, but it's still a difficult industry.
Working for commercial gyms gives you two options. Either you're a gym employee, you'll get contracted hours essentially as a L2, cleaning, supervising the floor etc, but trying to sell personal training to users of the gym. The client pays the gym for the session, and you get an increased wage for that period of time. The more sessions you do, the more they'll give you per hour, with the hopes that you eventually do 40 hours worth of sessions and the next newbie takes on your menial tasks. This is probably the best way in, it means you've got ok hours contracted, so a guaranteed wage, but it's not long term viable unless you start getting sessions in. These gyms are mainly the higher end gyms, Nuffield, Virgin etc. you'll not only need level three, but they'll also want to see some experience, so don't expect to walk in straight after qual.
Option two is essentially freelance but tied to a gym. A gym takes you on, allows you access to their clients and equipment, and in return you either pay 'rent' or work for 'free' for a select amount of hours. Then it's a case of toting your wares to the clients in hopes of sessions which you take the full income from. These tend to be budget gyms, and therefore clients don't tend to have spare cash to chuck at PTs, but these gyms are often the only start point when newly qual'd.

Outside of that is straight to freelance, which is hard to get into, difficult with out experience and will require some business nounce. You'll need fingers in many pies to make this work, look at quals for spinning and aerobics etc. the les mills body pump classes etc.

It's hard to break into, but if you've got financial support from elsewhere, and can spare the time and effort then go for it, but deffo go level 3.

Oh and to finish my small essay, a word on who you qual with. Big companies will charge in excess of 3 grand for the course, covering 6 weeks for level 3. They get mega bums on seats, and rake it in, but you see little of it. Their money goes into marketing. Avoid if you can. I found a small company run by a bloke that just wanted to teach, there were two of us on course, great teaching and half the price of the big company's. If you're northern, let me know and I'll point you in his direction. He doesn't run the courses often as he runs a business doing military fitness style boot camps and that sorta thing.
Any who, it's a nice idea to get into, but practically, not really. I have used it, just mainly for myself and friends, and now use it along side climbing coaching.
In reply to Tomtom:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It's as I thought and I'll have to think on about it some more.

Cheers

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...