Value of vintage Ice Axes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 atrendall 20 Jan 2017
Looking to the UKC collective knowledge base for some advice about old ice axes I have.

1. Chouinard-Frost ice axe. Overall length c70cm. Stamped on head with "Chouinard-Frost", a "C" in a diamond, and "Camp" and "Interalp". Shaft is very fine grained, straight wood possibly bamboo.

2. 3 x Stubai ice axes that look a bit older. Shaft lengths 56/60/60 cm. Stamped on head Stubai.

Do any of these have any value as collectibles or just as wall decorations and if so any ideas on price or best place to sell.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 wbo 20 Jan 2017
In reply to atrendall:
The Chouinard certainly does , but I don't know what they're currently going for. They often change hands on ebay
Post edited at 09:44
 d_b 20 Jan 2017
In reply to atrendall:

The going rate seems to vary wildly. With a bit of work you can turn them into excellent wall decorations though. A bit of elbow grease and linseed oil will take you a long way.

I spent £30 on an old interalp axe from someone on ukc, which turned into this:

https://www.avon-mc.org.uk/2014/11/the-golden-ice-axe-project/
Lusk 20 Jan 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

Excellent!
Not happy with the sandals though
 Fraser 20 Jan 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

Nice work!
 d_b 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Lusk:

You will be glad to know that the sandals have since fallen to bits.
Rigid Raider 20 Jan 2017
In reply to atrendall:

I have my Dad's wooden axe, older than the one pictured and I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a walking axe. He shortened it when I was a kid and it's still long by modern standards. Still in excellent condition.
In reply to atrendall:

The Chouinard was made under licence by Camp in Italy and is not an original Chouinard which may have had some value. If it was original it wouldn't have camp or interalp on it. It is probably from the early to mid eighties.
OP atrendall 20 Jan 2017
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Thanks for the info everyone.
 mhughes 20 Jan 2017
In reply to atrendall:

I might be interested in a pair of the Stubais if you could pm me a pic and price?
ta
Mike
OP atrendall 21 Jan 2017
In reply to mhughes:

Not at home at the moment but will sort out photos later. Thanks for the interest.
In reply to atrendall:

The axes are collectables and/or wall decorations.

Use the well known internet auction site. Chouinard axes (inc those stamped Interalp Camp) go for a tidy sum; think £75 -£150, I know as I have recently sold one (laminated bamboo shaft. If the shaft is obviously laminated (and it sounds like it is) then it is most probably bamboo which will attract a bit more of a premium.

If the Stubai axes are stamped Aschenbrenner then they will have a modest value although I have seen them go for up to £40 (or even more but I wouldn't raise your hopes too much).

Happy selling
OP atrendall 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

Thanks, Trevor, that's very useful. WIll have a look on that well known site.
The Stubai axes are stamped Aschenbrenner.
I've sent out photos to some UKCers who wanted them. If anyone want some nice wall decorations then get in touch or make an offer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...