Pack for day scrambling and alpine routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 19 Jan 2017
I'm looking for a 25-30L pack for long scrambling, multi-pitch mountain days and single day alpine routes.

I'm considering:

Patagonia Ascentionist 25
Arc'teryx Alpha FL 30
Arc'teryx Cierzo 28
Blue Ice Warthog 28

I'm 6'0 and generally slim so how how do all the bags fit?
Which features are useful - side compression straps/top lid/bungee cord on front?

Any advice and experience appreciated.
 kestrelspl 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:

I really like my osprey mutant for exactly that use case.
OP Alpenglow 20 Jan 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

I already have 18L and 40L packs but I need something in the middle. I don't find 18L big enough for some of the things I want to do.
 HeMa 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:
Can't help with the fit, as I'm small...

That said, I have had older Cierzo's... use currently the warthog 26 and last after the.

Patacuzzi, is nice, but to me it felt like the Cierzo... ie. somewhat flimsy, but still heavy..

So for a really robust one, pick the Warthog...

For a lightweight bag, Cierzo.

And for an alpine dream (good for one nighters as well), FL.

Oh, and the Simond 20l one is perfect as a "bigger" rock climbing bag... think of alpine rock with non glacier approach. But you got that already covered with the 18l option.
Post edited at 08:28
 galpinos 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:

I have an Ascentionist 25L. I really like it. Light (the lightest on your list), reasonably robust (for it's weight) and simple. Surprisingly comfy to carry. Sits nicely above a harness for climbing and even when full doesn't foul your helmet (Petzl Meteor). The combined lid drawstring thing is good, though if you put too much in the lid pocket (I like the zip being on onside) it doesn't quite sit open like in the pictures. The only downside is it doesn't take a rope under the lid very well, it kind of slips down. I'm going to have to add some bungee to the daisy chains to rectify this.

They are often on sale if you don't mind a dodgy colour (mine was half price in horrific fluorescent yellowy green).
 Toerag 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:

Karrimor Hot Rock 30? simple, but good.
 ianstevens 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:

I've recently got a Montane Medusa to fill the gap between 20L and 45L - works a treat. Bit bigger than what you require (32L) but it;'s light (<1kg) and has enough straps on but still looks remarkably clean and is un-faffy. Super easy to use with gloves too.
 Pina 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:
I've got the Cierzo 25 which I really like and find to be an ideal size. Big enough for some winter routes where you don't need to carry too much, served me really well on the Cuillin as well. To do again though I'd seriously consider the Cliff 20 as its a fraction of the price.

Found a review here: http://succinctgearreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/simond-cliff-20-bag.html?... and talking to various people with it and seeing lots of guides in chamonix would really sell me on it. Pity I hadn't considered it before shelling out on the arc'tryx number at 3 times the price.
Post edited at 13:04
 Exile 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:

I've got a blue ice warthog 28, which is good, but a little short in the back. (I'm 6ft 1in.) Although I like the concept of simple and super robust, I don't find myself using it much.

I'd seriously look at a running pack for what you want - OMM Classic 25 or 30. Pockets for bottles and snacks so you don't need to stop to fuel up, and really not noticeable at all on your back when empty. I've used a running pack in the situations you describe, and Scotland in winter, a lot, and it has worked really well.

Jasonic 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Exile:

I used to have one and worked great in those situations, but fit is everything with packs!
 Tricadam 20 Jan 2017
In reply to galpinos:

I second everything galpinos has said about the Ascensionist 25. I bought the 35 first for Scottish winter and have subsequently bought both the 25 and the 45. Absolutely brilliant packs. Remarkably comfortable and stable to carry, given their weight, and carefully placed daisy chains for attaching bungees, compression cords etc. And more durable than they may appear. Picked up my 25 in an online sale on the cheap. Agree that on-the-outside rope carriage requires a bit of ingenuity, but easily arranged with some bungee cord. Have yet to decide whether the Ikea bag colour scheme is cool or not, but given that I can't see the bag most of the time, who cares!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...