Pants for easy mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dheorl 18 Jan 2017
I'm looking at getting a new pair of bottoms for a couple of mountains I'm looking to climb in the spring, largely involving prolonged snow slopes but very little, if any, technical climbing.

I know a lot of people really rave about soft-shell pants these days, and I haven't really had the opportunity or money to try them so I was hoping someone here could advise.

The main thought which is making me wonder about their usability for myself is the fact I might be stopping on a fair few sections of snow slope to belay my less confident friend, and I'm wondering how soft-shell pants cope when actually sitting on/in snow. I know when teaching people on glaciers in the past I always wore hardshell pants because kneeling on the ice in my vaguely "shower-proof" hiking trousers immediately resulted in very wet, cold legs.

Any input is welcome.
 ChrisH89 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

As someone else pointed out today these are silly good value: www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-alpinism-pant-id_8010075.html . No reason not to try softshell at that price!

I much prefer softshell to hardshell in almost all conditions, only using hardshells if the weather is properly minging. I often wear fleece leggings underneath them when expecting to spend a lot of time standing in the cold belaying, kneeling in snow etc and have never been wet or cold. Would probably get a little damp after a while without some sort of base layer underneath if spending a lot of time sitting or kneeling in snow, but then you'd still feel the cold through hardshells anyway if that was your only layer!
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

Trousers.

(Apologies for the pedantry but I think I may have found my calling in life)
 Andy Hardy 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

Pants for easy mountains?

Anybody else thinking "large and fastened with velcro"?
 Tom F Harding 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

Personally on Easy mountains I go for a standard pair of boxer shorts - the Rab ones are good. On medium difficulty mountains I will upgrade to ones with slight water repellency just in case I wee myself slightly. For hard stuff my go to item is a full on, high absorbency, technical nappy. Each to there own though.
Dheorl 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

Yes, yes, trousers. I've just spent too much time flicking through websites who call them pants.

So, soft-shell for sitting belaying up snow fields? Will I end up with a wet ass needing some of the aforementioned absorbent undergarments or will they keep me dry?
S3.K1 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

Experienced that softshell is a bit water repellent but this disappears during use. There is some useful information: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/a/11070/How-to-Layer-Clothing-for-Each-Season
In reply to S3.K1:

"Alternatively, you could select a windproof fleece such as the Patagonia R4, the North Face Windwall, or the Mountain Hardwear Mistral."

Disqualifies this author, I think...

Windproof fleece is never the answer for active use in the UK... (IMHO)

It's an American article, where it might be more applicable.
S3.K1 20 Jan 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Oh well, i thougt this is the solely manifesto carved in stone
How about these fissure evo trousers if they fit?
 Dell 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

>Will I end up with a wet ass...

ARSE! it's ARSE!
Unless your 'less confident friend' happens to be 4 legged? In which case, as you were.
Dheorl 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Dell:

No, my friend is just American, and I chat to her so much via IM the spelling rubs off on me.

Does anyone actually know the answer to my question?
In reply to Dheorl:

> Does anyone actually know the answer to my question?

It depends... Mostly on the condition of the snow.

If the snow is nice and cold and dry, and you have a decent amount on insulation on your legs, then you can sit in a snow seat for a long time, and you won't get a wet arse or ass if you're wearing non-membrane softshell trousers (such as the Simond Alpinism). Snow is mostly air, and is a good insulator. You sitting on it won't melt it much. If your arse feels cold, it means your body heat is leaking out of it, which probably means you're sitting in something pretty damp, and you arse is likely to get wet. Either that or you haven't got enough insulation under your trousers. Some Paramo trousers and salopettes (which are essentially a type of soft shell) come with a foam pad that can be inserted in the seat, to provide that insulation.

On the other hand, if the snow is warm and slushy, you are essentially sitting in a puddle of water. In which case, water will be forced through the non-membraned soft shell, and you will get a wet arse. In these conditions, you need a waterproof seat to the trousers, as a minimum, or full hard shell trousers.
 nniff 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

Decathlon soft shell, with a small insulating sit mat on a piece of shock cord stuffed under the lid of your rucksack - sit on that - warmer and drier if the snow is soggy.
In reply to S3.K1:

> Oh well, i thougt this is the solely manifesto carved in stone

I was being terribly picky... The OGL page is pretty good, if a little too prescriptive in detail about the different layering systems and seasons. My advice is usually to pick and chose from five layers (base, mid, windshell, rainshell, insulating overlayer), to suit the weather and activity.

> How about these fissure evo trousers if they fit?

These Fissure Evo trousers?

http://www.verticalmountain.com/en/pants-shorts/4553-fissure-evo-pant.html#...

No idea. Never seen them.
In reply to nniff:

> with a small insulating sit mat

Yup. I carry a piece of 3mm Jiffyfoam (EPE foam packaging). It weighs about 20g. Which means that, without your shockcord, it can be prone to blowing away if you forget when you stand up...
Dheorl 21 Jan 2017
In reply to nniff:

That's a pretty good shout actually. From years ago I even have a small thermarest sit mat knocking around, might put it to good use.
Dheorl 21 Jan 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Do trousers exist that are mainly softshell but with hardshell panels?
cloves95 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

Montane Super Terra pants (trousers) really versatile trouser good for all round use also check them out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...