Pitching a pop up tent without pegs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 18 Jan 2017
Is it possible to pitch a decathlon pop up tent without putting the guy lines out? I'm thinking of using one as an extension for the campervan when parked up in lay-bys, so it would be occupied and could be tied to the van so it didn't blow away if I got up to pee in the night. I am wondering it it will hold its shape without pegs?
 Mountain Llama 18 Jan 2017
In reply to ablackett:

If it's on of these then yes http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-iii-pop-up-tent-3-man-green-id_83...

Pitching/folding
Quick installation. Free-standing tent (place it wherever you like, and if there's no wind, no need for pegs = ready to use!). Easy folding using our "Easy" guiding system.
 Dell 18 Jan 2017
In reply to ablackett:

Just carry a few bricks and put them inside.
 Siward 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Dell:

The occupant is the Brick.

Absolutely fine to do unless it's windy.
In reply to ablackett:

The front and back of popups have a tendency to lift off the ground when unpegged, and so will catch any stronger winds. As others have said however, with you and any other items inside it won't likely be going anywhere. I can't remember the last time I pegged down a popup. If you are worried though, the simplest option would be to take two pegs and just pin down the front/back at the base for reassurance.
 cat22 18 Jan 2017
In reply to ablackett:

Yep. Tried and tested in many of Scotland's finest lay-bys. It's a bit more likely to hit you in the face on a windy night than if you put the guy lines out, but generally it holds its shape fine.

We just upgraded to the XL Air version, which has a porch - it's slightly lower than the original, so a bit harder to sit up in, but the porch means the inside doesn't get so wet when you open the door, and there's a place to put shoes. It also holds its shape without pegs, though we've only tested it in the benign climates of the southwestern US
 zimpara 18 Jan 2017
In reply to ablackett:
The issue is going to be if it is raining, and the tent folds a little, touches something, and then leaks for the rest of the night... Just a thought.

Go on... Dislike it, I am ready
Post edited at 00:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...