Simond Alpinism Pants - Even better value

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leon 1 18 Jan 2017

Just a heads up that probably the best value winter trousers around are now even cheaper
Reduced to the silly price of £32 =99
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-alpinism-pant-id_8010075.html
Post edited at 14:30
 maxsmith 18 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:

incroyable, almost makes me want to buy another pair
 zimpara 18 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:

I was impressed with every bit of simond clothing I saw.bought in Chamonix.
I will slowly start reviewing pieces that I get a hold of. Fortunately my partner is a simond whore
Good gear.
In reply to leon 1:

Be aware that there are 2 versions of Alpinism pants - these thinner (Water repellent) ones usually at £40, and the thicker fully waterproof ones, the Alpinism 700, usually around £70.
Bellie 18 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:

I really like mine, but I fancy the look of the new Simond Cascade trousers. Waterproof (Novadry). Might just be the thing to save me popping my overtrousers on.

jamie_bkc 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Is that to say the thin ones aren't much cop?
OP leon 1 18 Jan 2017
In reply to jamie_bkc:
There are many reviews on UKC about this `'thinner ' version All of them good. Ive used them for years and they are really tough, windproof and about the best winter softshells Ive used for Scotland, Personally I found them better than Patagonia Guide pants. I dont find them thin at all, very burly in fact but the other ones Ron mentioned are fully waterproof. These do have braces, internal gaiter and zips for leg venting
Post edited at 17:19
In reply to jamie_bkc:

Don't know, I've never had the thinner ones.
The 700s are absolutely fantastic!
 tjin 18 Jan 2017

+1 on the 700!
 CurlyStevo 18 Jan 2017

Most people including my self bought the non membraned soft shell version. I'm not a big fan of membranes in soft shells especially cheap ones but each to their own I suppose.

> Be aware that there are 2 versions of Alpinism pants

You forgot the third version... Alpinism Lite

The trousers in the OP (Simond Alpinism soft shell) are a pretty heavy duty soft shell, hence the 800g nominal weight. Most of the comments and reviews seen in threads here are for this version.
Post edited at 18:28
In reply to leon 1:

They were also knocking out their lightweight down jackets (not the synthetic side-panel ones) for £23 at the weekend. Which reminds me...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/full-down-mens-green-id_8370599.html
Post edited at 18:34
 Billhook 18 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:
Those are excellent value pants. Good detail such as internal snow gaiters that are removable. Adjustable and removable braces, decent 3 zipped pockets and elasticated waist. They have worked well for me in winter too. Needless to say I have a pair!!!
Post edited at 19:44
In reply to captain paranoia:

The Decathlon down jackets are annoying in that they only have a 1 way zip, so get in the way when belaying.

At that price though it's probably worth having one anyway (even if it is a strange shade of green.....)
 Billhook 18 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:

Oh and I forgot the side ventilation zips and crampon protection patches.

I paid full price for one of these lightweight down jackets last year, fantastic value for the money! The only negative I could comment on, wind easily passes through the stitch lines of the baffles.

Go Decathlon

Stuart
 pass and peak 19 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:

You had too didn't you, just bloody well had to post this up, 3 days after I paid the full price!!!
Great pants by the way, though I've yet to test them to their full capacity, as there's no winter!
 Pina 19 Jan 2017

I didn't find the 700s to really be that burly. They've lasted one winter season and are full of gashes. Probably due to too much winter thrutching. Decathlon seem to have done away with them though, any ideas on what's replaced them?
 JohnO1978 19 Jan 2017
In reply to pass and peak:

Me too..

Ive worn them once and they were fantastic value for the money.

Has anyone tried the more expensive cascade pants?
 ianstevens 19 Jan 2017

> They were also knocking out their lightweight down jackets (not the synthetic side-panel ones) for £23 at the weekend. Which reminds me...

Any idea how "ethical"* this down is? Can't find any info which may be how they keep the price so outrageously low?

*no down is really ethical, but clearly some are better than others.
 Martin W 19 Jan 2017

I'm just back from a week's skiing in the Portes de Soleil, first trip using the Simond Alpinism Pants (bought when they were £40, if not more, hey ho). The pants did a fine job and stood up to falls and general ski-related abuse very well. The water repellency got a good test when we got stuck on a chairlift in heavy snow for about 20 minutes: absolutely no penetration from the snow that inevitably settled in my lap and then melted.

Couple of points to bear in mind:
1) I'm 6ft and I found the braces a little too long even at their shortest. Nothing that can't be fixed by taking a 1" tuck in each one, but something that shorter folks might appreciate knowing about in advance.
2) The fly is a two-way zip. The upwards zip is great for quick stops on the hill, but if you "go" in a more conventional manner eg in a restaurant loo you can inadvertently pull both zippers up, leaving yourself 'at risk'... In my case, with two base layers underneath there wasn't much chance of anything getting loose - but the unexpected cool draft upon stepping back outside was a bit of a surprise!

At this new lower price, I'm sorely tempted to get another pair.
Post edited at 10:33
In reply to ianstevens:

From that page:

"For this down jacket with its 85/15 filling, the inflating power is guaranteed to be 660 CUIN or above.
Our feathers come from Chinese ducks reared for their meat; we remove their feathers after slaughter. We hold the death certificates for these ducks."

I strongly suspect they don't mean just the feathers; they mean the entire down/feather filling.
 ianstevens 19 Jan 2017

0/10 on comprehension for me.
 nathan79 19 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:

I had been waiting for the need to buy a new pair of pants/trousers to arise in order to treat myself to a pair of these or the 700s. Instead I made the "mistake" of popping into the Berghaus outlet at Gretna and grabbed a pair of their Ampezzo pants for a bargain price.
In reply to Martin W:

> I'm just back from a week's skiing in the Portes de Soleil, first trip using the Simond Alpinism Pants

I bought mine in 2010 (when they were the grey, Quechua-branded version), and they've had about ten weeks' skiing. Apart from a few scuffs on the ankle protection, they still look like new. I'm pretty convinced that the fabric is identical to that used in the Rab Exodus jacket. They are fabulous value at full price, and bonkers at £33. I may have succumbed to further temptation...

Agree on the braces length; I have a short back, and the braces are very long for me. At least they can be shortened; lengthening things is harder...
 tjin 20 Jan 2017
I actaully never used the braces... I also got the grey Quechua version and the Simond 700 (bought on sale) one. Although both suffer from crampon holes, which are sewn shut and seamsealed over.

Tempted at buying another pair, but don't need it...
Post edited at 14:31
 Dark-Cloud 20 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:

What are theses like for sizing, am a 36 waist in jeans for comfort but have cycling glutes and quads !! Thinking a large but the sizing guide doesn't work on iPad.
 Glyno 20 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:

am I right in that the ones in the OP's link are the 800's?

sooo... where are the 700's?
OP leon 1 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
Similarish- Im 6' and a size 34-36 (depending on flavour of pies) and I find that the Euro XL size is perfect for me. I got some belt loops sewn on mine as I preferred that to the braces, HTH
Post edited at 20:24
 Dark-Cloud 20 Jan 2017
In reply to leon 1:

Cheers, XL it is then, I am a braces kind of guy so no worries there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...