Winter hardshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all, I'm after some advice on a new waterproof. I've been at go outdoors looking to spend the gift voucher I got for Christmas. Mainly looking at Rab stuff and the following stand out to me, Fuse, Spark, Nexus Alpine, Sentinel and Mammut Kento. I'm also open to other suggestions. Has anyone used any of these?
I'll be using this jacket for year round hillwalking initially, but I plan to get into winter climbing so would like a jacket suitable for this.
Is my budget too low?

All advice appreciated

Thanks
 ChrisH89 18 Jan 2017
In reply to The Freewheelin’ Jim182:

I haven't used any of the specific models you mention but my experience of Rab hardshells is that they are poor. My Rab jacket lasted less than a year of moderate use - I really wouldn't recommend them for winter climbing (or anything as far as waterproofs go frankly). Isolated case perhaps, but recent threads on here suggest otherwise.
 GarethSL 18 Jan 2017

There were some very nice Marmot gore-tex jackets on sale in Go Outdoors not so long ago at a reasonable price. Whether they still have them or not is another matter.
 GrahamD 18 Jan 2017

Have you tried stuff on for fit and features ? people have different requirements after all. Personally I hate jackets which are too short or without a map pocket or without a loop to hang them up from.
In reply to GrahamD:

Only tried the Fuse on so far, I'm going tonight to try the others. It was a bit short and maybe a bit too lightweight for winter.
 nathan79 18 Jan 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

I don't know why it matters so much, but I too hate jackets with no hanging loop. It's just a tiny bit of material but so crucial!
 MrJared 18 Jan 2017

I have the Kento. Could be a little lightweight for winter climbing, I dont think it will last long being rubbed against rock and ice, but willing to be corrected on this. Otherwise seems to be standing up well to the elements.

Positives are that it has a little loop to hang by and the material is stretchy so it doesnt rise up as much. Negatives are you cant store the hood away for when the wind picks up.
 nufkin 18 Jan 2017
In reply to nathan79:

> I too hate jackets with no hanging loop

You can get little folding hangers to fit inside the handle of your ice axe - like thingy had in Raiders of the Lost Ark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...