Carbon vs aluminium poles for Scottish winter use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 17 Jan 2017
I've decided to get some Black Diamond Distance FLZ poles for Scottish winter climbing use. I've currently got some Trail Ergo Cork ones which are great in general but don't quite pack down small enough for easy rucksack storage while on the climb. I'm debating whether to go for the standard aluminium model (470g) or the carbon version (365g). The weight saving would be handy but I wonder about the durability, given that I'm eventually bound to bend them a bit more than they're designed for while hobbling through Cairngorm boulder fields buried in unconsolidated powder - to name but one tumble hazard! I've found that, when bent, my aluminium Trail ones can be restored to their former shape without too much difficulty and suspect the same might not be true of carbon. Thoughts/experiences anyone?
 vscott 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Carbon don't survive being trapped then twisted as you describe, stick with alloy. Bit heavier than FLZ but very tough and pack as small are BD compacter ski poles.
OP Tricadam 17 Jan 2017
In reply to vscott:

Thanks Viv, you've confirmed my suspicions that Lochnagar boulder fields are no place for a carbon pole!
 Welsh Kate 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

One of my carbon poles died in Coire an t-sneachda saving me from being blown over by a strong gust. I'd use carbons for backpacking, but for Scottish winters I'd use my aluminium BDs.
 Hugh Simons 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I have these poles (the aluminium version) and I have to say they are great - they aren't too heavy and are dead durable too. One thing to mention though, since you say you want to use them in winter, is that they don't come with snow baskets. I think they're intended for "trekking" use - they don't even have the ability to screw snow baskets on to the tips on the bottom. Unfortunately you can't even take the tips off and replace them with ones which have a screw thread, they're welded on...

I got round this by buying some snow baskets and fitting them myself, with the aid of a knife and good old insulation tape. Just thought I'd mention it as snow baskets are pretty handy in winter!
OP Tricadam 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Hugh Simons:

Thanks Hugh, I'd noticed that on the BD website. I actually don't bother with snow baskets unless skiing though, so no loss to me.
 StuDoig 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

One of my carbon poles became a casualty of Lochnagar's boulders at the weekend so I'd definitely say Alu! My old Alu set had to be bent back into shape a couple of times, which would have killed Carbon Fiber Poles!

Cheers,

Stu
ultinator 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Hugh Simons:

I got some BD flz poles recently,
Not carbon ones just the standard ones.
They came with plastic tips. But also came with metal tips suitable for ice.

The tips are tight on there but come off with the use of pliers. I believe there is attachable bits you can get for them.
Hopefully I'm talking about the right poles ...
 Hugh Simons 19 Jan 2017
In reply to ultinator:

Yep that's right, you can change the very bottom of the tips (and I have changed the plastic to the 'carbine Tech Tips' which give much better grip on snow and ice!), I was talking about the whole bottom unit which the plastic or metal tips attach on to. On other BD poles they often have a screw thread on them for snow basket attachment. You can get spares for them (see http://www.facewest.co.uk/Black-Diamond-Flex-Tip.html?gclid=CLfmlpz3zdECFYU... but sadly not the FLZ distance ones I've got as they're permanently welded on.
ultinator 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Hugh Simons:

Oh okay.
I thought it was like a generically sized pole, and all was needed is to heat the Plastic bottom end in water or something and pull it really hard, then can replace it with a more adaptable bit.
Bit of a farce though
 leon 1 19 Jan 2017
In reply to ultinator: The FLZ Distance Trekking Poles are marketed as a 3 season pole with a fixed small trekking basket. The Alpine FLZs are the ones sold as a 4 season pole and have replaceable snow baskets

andrewmc 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Apparently it is pretty easy to get the tips off and replace them with another BD tip using boiling water. There is a video somewhere on Youtube.
 Timmd 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Being diabetic and needing to know carbohydrate portions, the weight difference is about 4 slices of bread, of the dense brown square tin type.

Having a decent poo before setting out might save a similar amount of weight.

Two possibly useful facts.
Post edited at 12:46
OP Tricadam 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

A decent poo can save a kilo! Not to mention half a kilo emptying your bladder. Caffeine is effective in stimulating both
andypg 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

YouTube video on how to change tips using boiling water. It works a treat.
youtube.com/watch?v=s11waZhTVrM&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...