REVIEW: Alpkit Definition Shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 16 Jan 2017
Helmet-friendly hood, 3 kbThe result of 12 years of development, Alpkit's new top-end shell is billed as a fully-featured mountain waterproof at a highly competitive price. Too good to be true? Dave Saunders is forced to think again.

Read more
 Timmd 16 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:
Is it a 'coil' or a 'vislon' style zip for the main zip?
Post edited at 18:27
 GarethSL 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Looks like a vislon or perhaps even a Riri zip: https://ukc2.com/i/286286.jpg
In reply to Timmd:

It's a YKK Vislon AquaGuard - it's under the Zips heading in the review
 davesa 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Vislon
 Timmd 16 Jan 2017
In reply to GarethSL:
I need to improve my reading comprehension, it is a Vislon zip which is nice.

Edit: Doh!
Post edited at 18:44
 JayPee630 17 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Think this has been mentioned before but not that convinced the price (£210) or the weight (490g) is that competitive or good.

Unless the price comes down in sales which doesn't tend to happen with Alpkit stuff does it? There's plenty of lighter and cheaper good shells for less than £200 about.
 Hay 17 Jan 2017
In reply to JayPee630:
40D is not a lot of D either.
 ianstevens 17 Jan 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

> Think this has been mentioned before but not that convinced the price (£210) or the weight (490g) is that competitive or good.

> Unless the price comes down in sales which doesn't tend to happen with Alpkit stuff does it? There's plenty of lighter and cheaper good shells for less than £200 about.

It's not designed (so far as a I can tell) as a "lightweight" style shell, more as a competetior to hard-wearing flagship shells (such as the Patagucci Super Alpine, Arc'teryx Alpha etc.) which all weigh about 500g.
 Ramon Marin 17 Jan 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

I'm biased on this as I work with the Alpkit chaps. But I do think it's a fair bit cheaper that like-for-like jackets. The Rab Latok, for example, a very similar jacket, retails at £260. But yes, you are right, if you wait for sale you probably find it a similar prize. Though Alpkit also has some sale prices at times too. I think it's a very good, technical and competitive jacket. Certainly much better than many of my other jackets like the Mountain Hardware Mixaction for example. I'd suggest for anyone who's curious about gear, they should pop by Alpkit's showroom, the quality of their technical gear is now as good as most well-known brands.
 davesa 17 Jan 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

yes I think that is a fair comment; the impression I got is that the jacket is primarily intended to be a hard wearing shell - the relatively modest weight is a bonus!
 galpinos 17 Jan 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Quite a bit of diference is the "robustness" of the fabric on paper though?

Definition - 40D (I think?) compared to the Alpha - 100D?

Quite a difference in price too mind.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...