Bluetooth speaker recommendations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 11 Jan 2017
I would be most grateful for recommendations of a Bluetooth speaker that can be used in the cab of a large noisy van while driving on the road.

The speaker has to be loud enough to be heard over siren noises and produce good quality sound without blowing the speakers or distorting because of a higher volume.

I would also like the speaker to last for at least 24 hours continuous between charges. this would get me through at least two 12-hour shifts in the van.

At the moment I have a Marshall Kilburn speaker. At the time it was great. The sound was loud enough to be heard in a noisy cab and the sound quality was, to my ears, excellent. However the batteries are now losing their charge. Marshall, who promoted the replacement batteries throughout their literature do not sell replacement batteries. And you can not buy replacement batteries on the web. In short, I now have an expensive speaker that is getting to the point where it now has to live on the end of a plug.
In reply to The Lemming:

Just stick any suitable replacement battery in? Surely the battery isn't unique chemistry or form factor?

Bog-standard 2200mAhr 3.7V Li-ion:

https://zmarshall.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205827532-What-kind-of-batt...

Cheap as chips. Well, maybe not that cheap for reputable devices, but cheaper than tossing a 230 quid speaker for the sake of a replacement battery.

http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/battery/lithium-ion-battery.html
http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/rechargeable-battery/industrial-lithium-ion-r...
Post edited at 21:41
 3leggeddog 11 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Open up the Marshall and find the part number on the battery, Google and replace.

I would also like a good Bluetooth speaker so keep the recommdations coming
 snoop6060 11 Jan 2017
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Get a UE boom 2. I went to get the UE boom flip which gets what hifi awards but the bigger one is better and I walked out with that one. Shock proof, waterproof, flawless pairing and really good (and loud if needed) sound.

You can turn it on remotely from your phone which sounds gimmicky but is really useful. Battery gets a good 8 hours from an hours charge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Wireless-Speaker-Waterproof-Shockproof/d...

Been really impressed with mine.
OP The Lemming 11 Jan 2017
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> Open up the Marshall and find the part number on the battery, Google and replace.

Now why did I not think of that.
In reply to captain paranoia:

Just found the manual and see that it's using a battery pack in the base. Looks like cyclindrical cells, as per the second of those links. Only questions are how they're connected (probably series; the pack open cell voltage will tell you), the cell type (dimensions should give you a clue), and whether there's a cell protection circuit. Buy four replacement cells of the right type,buy a four-battery holder for them, and re-use the existing connector.

bloody poor show that they've stopped producing packs, given how much they make of the lomgevity and repairability of their amps (IIRC, they have a busy service/refurbishment department).
Post edited at 22:10
In reply to snoop6060:

Sorry but 8 hours is just not long enough.
 snoop6060 11 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

24 hours and good sound quality with volume and you are asking a lot. Not sure such a thing exists. Plenty of options if you are driving to charge something mind, but I guess that kinda defeats the purpose.

> bloody poor show that they've stopped producing packs, given how much they make of the lomgevity and repairability of their amps (IIRC, they have a busy service/refurbishment department).

I completely agree. And do you know what grinds my gears as well?

I bought the speaker from Amazon, and the web-chat person said that Amazon was not an authorised seller of the speaker. I have to return a whole speaker to Marshall and they will, possibly replace my battery.

All I want to do is buy a replacement battery.

;-(

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the1lemming/32254924145/in/dateposted-public/

In reply to snoop6060:

> 24 hours and good sound quality with volume and you are asking a lot. Not sure such a thing exists. Plenty of options if you are driving to charge something mind, but I guess that kinda defeats the purpose.

I ticked all those boxes, until the battery started to fail.

I still have a cheap Phillips speaker that uses 4 AA batteries and lasts for 2 weeks. That's 10 sets of 12 hour shifts.
 MonkeyPuzzle 11 Jan 2017
In reply to nawface:

Minirigs are ace bits of kit.
In reply to The Lemming:

Measure it; i'd guess it's four 18650 cells

http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/lithium-rech-industrial-battery-icr-18650-26f...

65mm long, 18.5mm diam.

Slice off the pack sleeve to show the connections (the pack voltage of 14.4V tells us they're in series)
In reply to The Lemming:

I may bite the bullet and buy a Templeton speaker.
In reply to The Lemming:

Send me your Marshall... Don't bin it.
OP The Lemming 12 Jan 2017

Nice try
 balmybaldwin 12 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Can't you run power from a cigarette socket or do you already have equipment plugged in?
 Ian Patterson 12 Jan 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Same question - assume the Marshall does not have micro usb charging. If you get speaker that does you can charge from cigarette lighter socket if available or via a portable power bank .
OP The Lemming 12 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Any recommendations for a Bluetooth speaker would be very much appreciated.

Ian Patterson 12 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Somebody above recommended the UE Boom 2. I've got a UE Mobile Boombox, which is older (and smaller) speaker, for a couple of years and have been very happy with it in terms of sound quality, usability and reliability. Think all UE mobile speakers recharge via micro usb.
 simon kimber 12 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Minirig all the way..... loud, clear, robust and 50hrs off a charge
 Murd 12 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

JBL charge 3 ticks most of your boxes. This guy does pretty in depth reviews of speakers.
https://www.youtube.com/user/clavinetjunkie/videos
m0unt41n 12 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> I would be most grateful for recommendations of a Bluetooth speaker that can be used in the cab of a large noisy van while driving on the road.

> The speaker has to be loud enough to be heard over siren noises and produce good quality sound without blowing the speakers or distorting because of a higher volume.

You could always ask the Emergency Services to turn down their sirens instead.

Bhopper 17 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Minirig all the way, by far the best portable speaker I have come across, battery lasts for ages, good balanced sound, comes in a neat case. Mine has been up lots of mountains and even fallen off a moving car roof and still works perfectly.
https://minirigs.co.uk/portable-speaker
 elliot.baker 17 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

300% recommendation for the UE Boom 2 or if you want to spend more and think you need Very Very loud then a UE Mega Boom.

I've had the original UE boom for nearly 3 years and it's still going strong and is the main way I listen to music. It's changed my life being able to carry it anywhere in the house and stream live music off spotify, soundcloud, youtube, bbc radio player or my mp3's - all from my phone.

So then my gf's dad bought a Megaboom and absolutely loves it, then I bought my mum a UE Boom 2 and she loves it.

Really quality product definitely worth the price. Got the 2 for £85 from Amazon black friday.

Can't recommend enough.
August West 18 Jan 2017
In reply to nawface:

I have taken the advice of nawface, MonkeyPuzzle, simon kimber and Bhopper and just ordered a Minirig. Looking forward to getting it.

I do own an Archeer A210 speaker which I have been very happy with, although obviously it's not perfect because I'm buying a Minirig. It's a bit cheap (£26 on Amazon) and not loud enough at times but I've been using it around work and enjoying listening to my music selection rather than the radio. It seems reasonably robust and has been dropped a couple of times without causing any damage. It does not meet the criteria of the OP.
 JuneBob 18 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
I own a FUGOO Style Bluetooth Active, which I'm very happy with, it's loud, and lasts quite a while.

edit: seems the UE Boom 2 gets a slightly better score than the Fugoo, but the Fugoo does have 40hrs battery life, 20hrs at full volume:
http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/portable-audio/10-best-portable-speaker...
Post edited at 07:59
OP The Lemming 18 Jan 2017
In reply to JuneBob:
> I own a FUGOO Style Bluetooth Active, which I'm very happy with, it's loud, and lasts quite a while.

I like this one as it seems to be ticking all the boxes.

Edit

That would be if I could find one for sale
Post edited at 10:34
ultinator 18 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Bose sound mini link is awesome quality. Doesn't distort. Not sure if you'll get 24 hours battery life though. Depends how loud you have it.
But I think the mini link II can be charged via USB.
 nawface 18 Jan 2017
In reply to August West:

Good shout. You now need to find others and have a minirig link up!
In reply to ultinator:

Personally I found that UE speakers had a better sound than Bose speakers.
In reply to The Lemming:

Ironically, 'the story of Marshall' has just started on BBC 4...
ultinator 18 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

To be fair, I have never heard them.
But upon reading about them, I would choose them over the bose.
The fact that it's is waterproof IP7 and generally more rugged is great.

Bose is a cool piece of kit though. Sound is truly awesome, base is good too

I shall try and see it on catch up.

On a night shift

Kevster 18 Jan 2017

Buy an inverter? Then it can stay plugged in.
August West 28 Jan 2017
In reply to August West:

> I have taken the advice of nawface, MonkeyPuzzle, simon kimber and Bhopper and just ordered a Minirig. Looking forward to getting it.

Now I've had my Minirig for a week or so I would like to add my recommendation. Quick despatch from Minirig, a good quality product with nice sound and decent bass, long battery life, the ability to charge your phone from it, made in the UK... the list goes on but I won't. I will be purchasing another one and the subwoofer to go with them.

iksander 02 Feb 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Beoplay A1
OP The Lemming 04 Feb 2017
In reply to nawface:

Well I've taken a punt with a minirig. And it arrived in the post today.

I have to say for a tiny speaker, it produces a lot of noise. However the sound quality is not a patch compared to my Marshall Kilburn speaker. Saying that, its not a fair fight as the Marshall has 2 tweeters and a 4 inch subwoofer in the box while the minirig has only one speaker.

If I had not heard the sound quality of my Marshall, then I would have been over the moon with the volume and sound quality of the minirig.

Tomorrow, I will take it out for a field test. If the battery is as advertised, then I can forgive its limitations of only a single speaker. The sound quality is good enough for my old ears.

OP The Lemming 05 Feb 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Ok, field test completed.

And I have to say that the minirig is an excellent bit of kit.

The volume levels are very impressive for such a tiny device. This little thing sure does punch above its diminutive size.

Also shower proof is an added bonus, especially if you leave it out overnight in a drunken haze.

The only down side is that the speaker uses a proprietary cable to charge it. Would it have hurt to include a mini USB or USB type C connector rather than the round charger port?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...