All round pants - softshell or hardshell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ROSP 10 Jan 2017
I'm in the market for some decent trousers as all my softshells have more patches than actually trouser left! Ideally, I'd like something I can ski in, Scottish winter climb in, take valley ice cragging and alpine climb in. Would hard or softshell pants better meet my needs for the majority of those activities in your opinion?

Interested to hear your opinions!
 JayPee630 10 Jan 2017
In reply to ROSP:

I've given up on hardshell pants for all of that and use Mountain Equipment G2 mountain softshell pants now. And if it's really pissing down I stay inside.
 Greasy Prusiks 10 Jan 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Trousers.
 Denni 10 Jan 2017
In reply to ROSP:

I've always used Mammut Base Jump pants for absolutely everything and carried a cheap pair of lightweight waterproof over trousers just in case.

They are outstanding in every way and I just can't fault them. Skiing, climbing/mountaineering in everything but heavy rain and I've even parachuted in them! I also have a pair of Mammut Splide pants which are a heavier version of the Base Jumps and I only bought them as I found them in a yard sale here in the States for $20 so why wouldn't you!

You won't be disappointed.

HTH, Den
 JayPee630 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Trousers.

You're right. Sorry. TROUSERS TROUSERS TROUSERS.
 Greasy Prusiks 10 Jan 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

That's better.
 Dell 11 Jan 2017
In reply to ROSP:

Just imagine, doing all those activities wearing only your pants.
 LucaC 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Dell:

Vapourise guides, but they might be a bit hot for alpine climbing, depending on what your doing.
 GrahamD 11 Jan 2017
In reply to ROSP:

I presume you have seen other recent similar threads e.g ?

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=654477&v=1#x8448646
 Gav Parker 11 Jan 2017
In reply to ROSP:

Another vote for Mammut Base Jump pants. Expensive but last for years, very durable and windproof...
 GridNorth 11 Jan 2017
In reply to LJC:

Rab Vapourise guide trousers are a fantastic fit and very effective for winter walking but useless, IMO, for alpine (too warm) and ice (not waterproof enough) I have a pair but as soon as I press my knee against the ice I get a cold spot. The softshell trousers from Decathlon are far better and cheaper but I'm not sure how long they will last. I had my Mammut softshell for nearly 20 years before they gave up.

Al
 grump gnome 11 Jan 2017
In reply to ROSP:

Keela Scuffers are a good price and last.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...