Keela Belay Pro Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Westy 08 Jan 2017
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience of the Keela Belay Pro Jacket?

http://www.keela.co.uk/belay-pro-jacket.html#product_tabs_description_tabbe...

The insulation looks pretty good, but it doesn't appear to have a hood?! How essential is that?

I'm heading to Scotland for a week in Feb, and was wondering if this would be any good as a belay jacket?

Any thoughts appreciated.
 DaveHK 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

> it doesn't appear to have a hood?! How essential is that?

I think it is essential, makes a massive difference.

In reply to Westy:

If my neck and head aren't warm then I'm not warm. Has to have a hood IMO.
 Dell 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

They do a seperate hood.

http://www.keela.co.uk/sherpa-hood.html
 IM 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

You could pick up a Montane Prisim jckt for less money, hood and all.
 Bish 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

I have one that I use for work. I don't find it that warm if I'm honest. It has more fill than all my other jackets but still feels colder.

A lack of adjustable bottom hem and hood are some of the downsides to the jacket.

A prism jacket has a quarter of the insulation weight of the keela so will see be colder even if it does have a hood.
 angry pirate 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

I'd agree with the above comments re a hood.
Have you tried one on? It looks a little short to me. I used to have a Paramo Torres belay smock which was chock full of insulation but was short so didn't cover the bum well and I always cold in it. I now use a Rab Alpine Generator which has much less filling but is a cracking length and is much warmer as a result.
IMHO a belay jacket should cover the bum/groin to be useful (should also have a 2-way zip so you can access the belay loop)
OP Westy 09 Jan 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

> Have you tried one on? It looks a little short to me. I used to have a Paramo Torres belay smock which was chock full of insulation but was short so didn't cover the bum well and I always cold in it. I now use a Rab Alpine Generator which has much less filling but is a cracking length and is much warmer as a result.

I've not tried it on, so have no idea about the sizing, but I take your point about longer being better!

Appreciate the thoughts re:hood, I've emailed Keela to see if their separate one attaches to the jacket.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...