SkiMo/Ski Touring Gloves for the up and skin transitions etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 08 Jan 2017
Has anybody got any suggestions for a decent close fitting dextrous glove for general ski touring use and the occasional scottish skimo race, doesn't have to be waterproof, just reasonably warm when wet and close fitting

I have a pair of thin softshell north face ones but the finger ends keep getting stuck in buckles and the cuffs are a bit short, ideally need something thats reasonably warm when wet with decent grip, looked at the Rab Vapour-rise, M14 and Alpine, the Vapour-rise seems the best combination of fit and might be warmest when wet than the other two.

Cheers
James Jackson 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I use a pair of Reusch softshell gloves that I picked up in the Alps a few years ago. Have a look at stuff designed for Nordic skiing...
OP Dark-Cloud 08 Jan 2017
In reply to James Jackson:

Ahhh good point, never even thought of looking at Nordic stuff, will have a search about
 wbo 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
Well a lot of the Nordic stuff is a bit rubbish - just too thin , not warm at all when wet. Mountain equipment, mountain Hardwear, dynafit all make nice gloves that you can use. Ortovox?
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> looked at the Rab Vapour-rise, M14 and Alpine, the Vapour-rise seems the best combination of fit and might be warmest when wet than the other two.

I've used all three of those gloves. The VR is very good but a little on the warm side in the spring. It is warm when wet but dries quickly. The M14 is a climbing glove really and wouldn't be warm enough. The Alpine is a good gloves too. I use this a lot for climbing but rarely for sking.

Cheap leather gloves from Decathalon work well too.

In reply to wbo:

Yes I realise that they all make gloves, I am after some real use recommendations as a lot of high street shops don't stock Dynafit etc.
 HammondR 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
The only glove I use when touring (or pretty much any kind of skiing) is the classic Chamonix Bin Men's gloves. Cheap from French hardware shops. I apply Nikwax leather proofer before using, bringing the total cost up to about a tenner. I have carried fancy dan Black Diamond gloves as back up in case I ever get too cold (or loose a glove), but I have not yet needed them in the Alps.
 HeMa 08 Jan 2017
In reply to wbo:

> Well a lot of the Nordic stuff is a bit rubbish - just too thin , not warm at all when wet.

You're doing IT wrong .

Nordic stuff is ment to offer some insulation and wind blocking, but you're supposed to be moving enough to generate heat.

So the 10-15 eur Thermo XC gloves are more than enough glove for skimo comps and even going up on normal tours. Just have other gloves whilst just touring for the downhill.

Or maybe I'm doing IT wrong, and/or in too bad shape for the uphill.
 wbo 08 Jan 2017
In reply to HeMA: I think it's me doing it wrong - wet hands from crashing

I was think of stuff from Craft, Dæhlie - barely warm enough for cycling i.m.o.

Doug 08 Jan 2017
In reply to wbo:

XC stuff from the likes of Craft is good for what its designed for - you use your arms quite a bit xc skiing so hands stay warm
James Jackson 08 Jan 2017
In reply to wbo:

> Well a lot of the Nordic stuff is a bit rubbish - just too thin , not warm at all when wet. Mountain equipment, mountain Hardwear, dynafit all make nice gloves that you can use. Ortovox?

I think it hard, if not impossible, to find a magic glove, which is where your systems on the hill come in. I always change my gloves to beefier insulated jobbies as the first stage in a transition; learnt that the hard way when getting the thin uphill gloves wet on an early transition. Wet gloves - cold hands!
In reply to wbo:

Yeah can relate to that, my thin soft shells were soaked last skimo race but I didn't notice it at all but it wasn't that cold, hence needing something warm when wet, normal touring I would transfer to warmer or stick a pair of overgloves on top of the wet ones, just wanted to see if anybody was using anything specific that worked well
craigloon 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I find pertex and pile mitts are great for touring in winter and spring. Not waterproof, but retain heat even when wet and dry quickly. I used to buy Buffalo ones, but found I had to get new ones every year, as they tend to get trashed too easily from holding ski edges. Fortunately not too expensive at around £20. Montane do a more robust version with reinforced palms, which also helps with grip for ropework etc.
 jay.mac 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I am planning on trying a pair of cheap nitril foam gloves for the skimo races this year as I the requirement is for dexterity and protection over warmth.

http://www.bestworkwear.co.uk/click2000-nitrile-foam-poly-glove.html?gclid=...

Might try get a pair of black ones to be less conspicuous.
OP Dark-Cloud 15 Jan 2017
In reply to jay.mac:

Yeah I have those for working on the bike, not sure I would like to ski in them, not much warmth from them, I think I will just go with a grippy powerfleece from whichever manufacturer suits at the time I buy, Hestra have some nice Nordic ones but I don't really like buying gloves without trying.
 Jim Braid 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

How about Sealskinz ultra grip gloves.

https://www.sealskinz.com/UK/ultra-grip-gloves-black?filter_name=ultra%20gr...

I use them on the road bike and winter hill walking. Certainly close fitting and dexterous enough compared to other winter gloves.
 Dave 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
For training and the very occasional race I use nordic ski gloves, plenty warm enough down to -5 to -10 and dextrous for transitions, and they have reinforcements in the right places which regular gloves tend not to.

OP Dark-Cloud 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave:

Cheers, actually tried a pair of these on yesterday, seem to fit the bill, very thin Windstopper on the backs and a nice grippy palm overlayed on Amara, at £35 they are worth a punt i think.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/clothing-accessories/all-gloves-mitts/tor-glove...
 top cat 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Should be ok as long as they don't leave bits of fluff on your skins, assuming you will not be wasting time taking off your gloves to de skin on the transition?
 jonnie3430 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Sorry, I assume you want something a bit more specific, but I've used the dickies insulated leather gloves for this and think it superb. They're only about 15 quid and at useful for lots of other stuff as well. Either buy them online, or I've found them in machine mart before.
 ed woods 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Here's a leftfield suggestion - http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/merino-gloves/product/MGV02

Quite nice for £35?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...