Hard and Soft shell pants?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jackdimples1 07 Jan 2017
I'm looking to buy some hard shell trousers, that I can use for ice climbing in the alps but also for Scottish winter conditions. The obvious choice is hard shell, by has anyone had an experience with the Patagonia Kniferidge pants?

They are meant to bridge the gap in between soft and hard shell, but does this mean they will be able to stand up to Scottish winter conditions?

If not, can anyone recommend any hard shell pants that are nicely tapered, but aren't going to ruin my bank balance!
 BnB 07 Jan 2017
In reply to jackdimples1:

I have the Kniferidge jacket which has done a full winter season. Much more comfortable and more durable (so far) than a hardshell. Reasonable water resistance (best of ANY softshell) but ultimately not fully waterproof.

I'd say a combination of the pants with some decent thermals would be a winner but with the proviso that they do not vent so walk-ins could get warm. That would bother me but perhaps not you?

Also no crampon patches but that doesn't stop me piercing my Kevlar-lined hardshell pants all over!!
 TobyA 07 Jan 2017

> If not, can anyone recommend any hard shell pants that are nicely tapered,
Yes.
> but aren't going to ruin my bank balance!
Hmmm, depends how big it is!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6103 They've updated them since (including a few things that I noted! ) so I'm sure they're even better now, but I've used the original ones from the review happily in the UK for two winters now also (only piste skiing in Scotland, but climbing in the Lakes and Wales, and also ski touring in the Lakes and Arctic Norway and remain very happy with them).

GarethSL 07 Jan 2017

OR used to do hybrid hardshell / softshell trouses but I think it's only Arc'teryx doing them now. They are nice but too lightweight for my taste.
 Pina 07 Jan 2017

Decathlon do a nice membrane softshell which have lasted me a full Scottish season. I've found them excellent in everything but the heaviest downpour. I personally find it to be an off balance with trousers, do you get something that won't breath (no matter what goretex claims, it's not breathable) and cost a fortune or accept the fact you may get a little damp and that the heat you generate combined with breathability with let you dry off. I'm one of the people in the latter camp...
James Jackson 07 Jan 2017

Last season I spent most of my time (ski mountaineering rather than winter thrutching) in a pair of Mountain Equipment softshell trousers; good, but when conditions really came in (namely on the Cairngorm plateau!) I suffered. I've just bought a pair of Jottnar Vanir LT trousers, and put them through the wringer in the Alps (ski mountaineering and a little piste skiing), Lakes (climbing / scrambling) and Scotland (winter climbing gullies / scrambling) in a fairly intense fortnight. They are the absolute business. They feel like a softshell, but with the robustness of a hardshell and don't make any annoying rustling noises! From -12ish degrees up to around +7, I've worn them with just a pair of lightweight thermal trousers and have been just right and never sweaty despite some fairly high effort outings. The fit and mobility is excellent. Expensive, but you get what you pay for - highly recommended!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...