Keela Munro Jacket Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Staples 03 Jan 2017
In the process of looking for a replacement jacket for winter climbing/walking and wondered if anyone had some advice about the Keela Munro.

The thing that strikes me (despite never having used it) is that the MRT guys use it. Therefore it must be good.

I have done a bit of research but some tips from someone who uses or has used the Munro for climbing would be great?

Cheers
Dave
 Dave the Rave 03 Jan 2017
In reply to David Staples:

I bought the youth version for our kid.
It's a nice jacket, if a little heavy, but you get that extra durability and at a good price.
She reports the warmth and breath ability to be good. The hood is good but I doubt you would get a helmet under it.
I would buy one for winter hillwalking and easy gullies etc
 Andy DB 03 Jan 2017

We are issued them. They are fairly good as an MR jacket but not convinced I'd buy one as a personal jacket. They are quite heavy and bulky which is good for keeping you warm when stop start searching or hanging around a a cas site but not so great for a full day out walking / climbing.
 PPP 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Andy DB:

1.1kg :o! Even Mountain Equipment Kongur MRT (no personal experience with it) with 80D fabric/150D reinforcements weighs 670g. The Keela one must be nail-proof then...
OP David Staples 03 Jan 2017

Cheers everyone, thanks for the advice.

Dave
 Simon2005 03 Jan 2017

I had about 12 years out my first Keela Munro and didn't hesitate to replace it with another. They are pretty heavy duty. Can be a bit too warm but they do have some interesting arm vents which work but are a tad fiddly. They are good value.
 liamando 03 Jan 2017

Bulky but bombproof and nice and warm. Wore mine extensively this year and no sign of wear.
 RobOggie 04 Jan 2017

As Andy said they are standard issue in our MRTs which was due in the case of my team to an un-refusable offer from Keela.
I personally don't like the Munro, I find it heavy (they don't quote a weight on their website), bulky and I've had issues from new (read, fresh out the packaging) with the waterproofing.
Would recommend shopping around and finding a decent gore tex jacket for around the same price

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...