Cairngorms dog walkers spend the night out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to Siward:

or the value of a hot dog
 Dave the Rave 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Name Changed 34:

> or the value of a hot dog

IT was Black Bag, the faithful border bin liner that saved them.
 poppydog 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:

Regardless of what ever else I have in my rucksack, there is always bivi and bothy bags.
 Dave the Rave 02 Jan 2017
In reply to poppydog:

> Regardless of what ever else I have in my rucksack, there is always bivi and bothy bags.

May I ask why both?
 Brass Nipples 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:

Was it a ruff night?

poppydog 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Different uses, really, I just always leave them in my rucksack. The bivi is an old goretex the size of a sleeping bag, and the bothy is a small-group size. I used the bothy a couple of years ago on Snowdon when I came across a young woman who had passed out, as a sun shade - it was a sweltering day - and then as a marker to help the helicopter locate us.
 L.A. 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward: Footage of the conditions. Lucky they had that bivvy bag.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-38492670

top cat 03 Jan 2017
In reply to L.A.:

Looks like a standard manky day, nothing too extreme. I wonder how the dog got on. Whilst dogs are robust, they are also in the worst zone for spin drift: ie knee height and below.
 Sean Kelly 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:

Bothy bag for me every time. It's useful in so many ways!
 Brass Nipples 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:

Why of why do they describe it as Arctic? Not it is not, it Scottish winter conditions, arghhhh
 HTPumlumon 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:

This is quite an amusing little interview - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-38500093

Sounds like they had a bit of an epic (who hasn't), but were well enough equipped to deal with it. Makes a pleasant change I suppose!
 benp1 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:
So in similar conditions, would you rather a bivy bag or a bothy bag?

If I was doing that I'd like to this I'd have a bothy bag AND a blizzard bag, plus a back up headtorch. But the whiteout conditions make it tough

EDIT - in the interview they said the lady's rucksack blew over the edge while they were getting the bag out, sounds pretty horrendous! The rucksack had the map in it
Post edited at 10:53
 drunken monkey 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

It was an example of how serious the conditions can be on the plateau - from the Cairngorm MRT Team Leader.

I'd suggest he knows a wee bit about the Cairngorms in winter.
 earlsdonwhu 04 Jan 2017
In reply to HTPumlumon:

I don't wish to speculate about these folk but being well equipped is not the same as having common sense, experience and relevant skills.
 Robert Durran 04 Jan 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
> I don't wish to speculate about these folk but being well equipped is not the same as having common sense, experience and relevant skills.

Absolutely. On TV last night they came across as all pleased with themselves and preachy to others about being properly equipped. They had to be rescued FFS! they screwed up! Yes, anyone can make mistakes, but I would have thought that anybody who has needed rescuing should be contrite and humble about it.
Post edited at 15:28
 gavmac 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

Tend to agree. No issues with them needing rescued and I'm thankful they were, to an extent, well equipped. But I would be utterly embarrassed in that situation and certainly wouldn't be getting interviewed on national TV!
 jonnie3430 04 Jan 2017
In reply to gavmac:

I think there was a great message put out to everyone that heard of it that bivvy bags save lives, and that if you aren't sure what your doing, carry a bivvy bag.
In reply to jonnie3430:

> I think there was a great message put out to everyone that heard of it that bivvy bags save lives, and that if you aren't sure what your doing, carry a bivvy bag.

Only if you're not sure? I think it is madness to go out on the hills in winter without a bothy or bivi bag. Shit happens.

gavmac 04 Jan 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

I think the message of carrying a bivy bag was reported pretty strongly, even without their interview. That's a good thing, no doubt.

I still wouldn't have been volunteering to be interviewed on BBC. If I had, I think I would have been a good deal more sheepish about my exploits
In reply to gavmac:

> I think the message of carrying a bivy bag was reported pretty strongly, even without their interview. That's a good thing, no doubt.

Nothing wrong with being interviewed as such, but they should have said that, having messed up and got into difficulties, they were glad that they had a bivi bag so that they were able to survive long enough until they could be very gratefully rescued. They came across as if they were a great example to everyone else!
 Dave the Rave 04 Jan 2017
In reply to gavmac:

> I think the message of carrying a bivy bag was reported pretty strongly, even without their interview. That's a good thing, no doubt.

> I still wouldn't have been volunteering to be interviewed on BBC. If I had, I think I would have been a good deal more sheepish about my exploits
If I'd survived by the skin of my teeth and been rescued, I would be doing my utmost to get as much cash as possible in order to donate it to the MRT. There's a good tale regarding this in the book Cairngorm John.
Perhaps they were a bit hyper at having survived or were hamming it up for the cam?
Not having a pop at you're opinion by the way.
 gavmac 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Hadn't thought of it like that. I'm probably just a bit proud!

I've been meaning to reread Cairngorm John- thanks for the reminder.
 zimpara 05 Jan 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

3 likes to ten dislikes

It seems the UKC massif believe being well equiped is the same as having common sense, experience and relevant skills.

You have to wonder sometimes.
 brianjcooper 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

I have to agree with you. If the MRT had not found them would they have found their own way off the mountain if the whiteout conditions, shown in the video, had persisted? I've made a few bad navigation errors in my time, but not used them as shining examples of my survival skills.

Scarab9 05 Jan 2017

if the small number of hyper judgemental types on here could promise that if they ever need to be rescued they post on here so we can arrange for them to be put in stocks for a week so they can be properly and publicly shamed that would be great. Wouldn't want any utter incompetent and frankly disgraceful failure of a person who might have had to call mountain rescue getting away without proper punishment eh!

Robert Durran 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Scarab9:
> if the small number of hyper judgemental types on here could promise that if they ever need to be rescued they post on here so we can arrange for them to be put in stocks for a week so they can be properly and publicly shamed that would be great. Wouldn't want any utter incompetent and frankly disgraceful failure of a person who might have had to call mountain rescue getting away without proper punishment eh!

I am very happy to do so retrospectively. I still feel humbled, ashamed and idiotic twelve years after I was rescued from a crevasse and helicoptered off after a grossly incompetent display of bumbly skiing in the Valle Blanche. Obviously I am grateful to the passing guide, rescue services and doctors who sorted me out, but they shouldn't have had the inconvenience of doing so.

Edit: note that I did not judge the couple in the Cairngorms for their original mistakes which got them into trouble, but for their attitude in the interview afterwards.
Post edited at 17:47
 Robert Durran 06 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:

Another story with a happy ending:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-38501247

Good effort, though I think I would have got the man inside a bivi/bothy bag with all available spare clothing and with another person while the other went for assistance, rather than walking him anywhere.
 Howard 08 Jan 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:
The dog is probably thinking: I think I had better do the navigation next time......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...