La Sportiva Nepal Extremes (for a beginner)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ParaDan 29 Dec 2016
Hi,
Im looking at winter climbing/walking boots with the intention of becoming safe and proficient at winter hill/mountain walking this year then progressing to ice climbing next year.

I get the impression that a B2/C2 combo would be ideal this year but not as I progress onto my real interest of steep ice climbing but can I comfortably get away with buying a B3/C3 combo like the la sportive nepal extreme and a similar level crampon this year whilst im getting to grips with the winter basics?

Im looking at walking mostly in Snowdonia probably the Ogwen valley but only after I have the basics sorted in the Clwydian range.
 TobyA 29 Dec 2016
In reply to ParaDan:

Don't get too hung up on the B/C ratings - they help but aren't some holy formula that must be followed.

Nepal Extremes are great boots if they fit you well. I can hike perfectly comfortably in mine although they are stiff and heavy if you aren't on your way up to the snow line for winter climbing. If you are certain you are going to climb steep ice next year (i.e. you are going to do a course in the Alps or Norway, or have a friend who is experienced and you have definite plan for going on an ice climbing trip together) then they would be a good bet. If you are going to snatch whatever possibilities come up in the North Wales for a few years you could probably get away with a lighter boot which would be better for hiking and scrambling in but that you could still use with a crampon.

For crampons you want a classic 12 point crampon like Grivel G12s or the many other very similar models. You can climb Nordic icefalls in these fine (it's what i've got on in my profile pic), but also they work ok for winter walking and scrambles in the UK, on Scottish mixed and for summer alpine climbing.
 tehmarks 29 Dec 2016
In reply to ParaDan:

I had the same problem a few years ago; I wanted one boot and crampon combination that would do everything that I aspired to do over the lifespan of the boots and crampons, without leaving me needing to buy another pair of boots and/or crampons when i started to progress to more technical mixed climbing rather than low-grade alpine snow plods.

I ended up with a pair of Trango Extremes and Petzl Lynx, and I can't say it's been a problem, beyond my crampons having more of a disposition for balling up in crap snow. The boots have been fine for plodding along glaciers and on long hut approaches.

Of course, I'm less happy that next year I'm going to have to buy a second pair of boots for a spring trip to Chamonix, on account of the Trangos probably being a bit on the cold side...
 zimpara 29 Dec 2016
In reply to ParaDan:

My next boot for the UK and Alps is going to be Rebel super light jobs.

david100 29 Dec 2016
In reply to ParaDan:

Walking in b3 boots is not too bad if they fit well. If they dont fit well it is a nightmare. Think blistered heels and black toes. So it all comes down to fit and the stiffer the boot the more critical the fit. The best way I found to find the right fit is to try and buy second hand. I currently have a pair of second hand nepal evos which work for me if i tape my heels before i head out. I match those with g14s which climb well and walk ok although the tooth arrangement can cause my foot to twist if walking over snow covered rocks. good luck on your search for the right boots.
OP ParaDan 29 Dec 2016
Really appreciate the help guys. Il simply look for a bloody good fitting pair of winter boots then. The le sportiva's do fit like slippers to be fair so it might not be a bad bet. I was just concerned about a rigid boot for walking in.

Snowdonia is a starting place. I intend to climb in more permanent icey conditions as soon as Im capable.
 PPP 29 Dec 2016
In reply to ParaDan:

I have done West Highland Way over in Scarpa SLs (B1s) over 3 days (so 50km a day with camping gear), as well as overnight trips with La Sportiva Nepal Extremes in not so wintery conditions (wet snow and lots of bogs/river crossings). Yes, I survived both times, but did I choose the right boot? Probably not, but in both cases they were the best choice from what I had in the cupboard. Nepal Extremes get soaked through after a while, which means they become even heavier. I got mine for £90 quid (used for under a week in Alps? they looked worse after first time I got out, so...).

From my personal experience, don't get the best boot, just something that fits and is cheap. You'll know what you need with more experience and also you won't be scared to ruin them. On my 5th or so day out in winter, I stepped on my boot, with crampons on... I'd be raging if they were £400 boots.

Also, I am not sure if you can plan what you'll be climbing in X months/years. I started gym/sport with no intention to climb trad, transitioned into trad quickly and it became my passion, started soloing more often (never intended to either), went to Dolomites, spent many days climbing multi pitches and shortly quit rock climbing. Completely.
OP ParaDan 23 Jan 2017
For the sake of conclusion. I went with the la sportiva Nepal extremes and I must say im really happy with them. Been up Snowden and Glyder fach so far and although hard to wear in they have been as comfortable as anything!
Looking forward to getting them into some ice and snow, see what they are made for !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...