Any good climbing Christmas presents?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thought I might as well ask, how was your Christmas?

Have you got lots of shiny new gear to play with?
What climbing and mountaineering biographies are you now reading?
Are you perusing inspiring new guidebooks or getting pysched watching the latest DVDs?

For me, this year's haul was:
A ludicrously bright new Petzl Sirocco helmet.
A copy of Laycock's 1913 "Some Gritstone Climbs" guidebook.
A Scottish Mountains 2017 calendar.

I'm currently trying to get my head around which was meant to be harder; "Distinctly Difficult" or "Decidedly Difficult". Any suggestions?
 spenser 26 Dec 2016
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Scottish Winter Climbs guidebook has been handed over, hoping to start addressing my lack of winter climbing experience this year!
 BusyLizzie 26 Dec 2016

BMC t-shirt!
 John Kelly 26 Dec 2016

Black diamond ultralight cam, red 1, found slot for it yesterday, very satisfying
 climber34neil 26 Dec 2016

Chasing the ephemeral, pure winter filth
 angry pirate 26 Dec 2016
In reply to climber34neil:
Me too! Spent the day at home yesterday looking decidedly miserable flicking through the book lamenting being stuck indoors until the missus dispatched me for a day in the Peak today.
Also the proud owner of some Rab icefall gauntlets and a UV water purifier (when they arrive)
Post edited at 23:33
 jonnie3430 26 Dec 2016
In reply to angry pirate:

And me, purilely ticked the routes I've done at the front too. Looking forward to using it for the winter ( when it comes!)
 bouldery bits 26 Dec 2016

Crux Torq Smock (admittedly bought a few days back). It feels quite burly to say the least. Looking forward to getting out in the wet and the snow.
 Misha 27 Dec 2016
My family don't Xmas and don't think I'll be getting anything climbing related for NY. However just ordered a load of stuff for myself, mostly in the 'lost', 'worn out' or 'emergency spare' category (the latter includes yet another belay device, having spent the first Scottish winter weekend of the season a few weeks back belaying off an Italian hitch; the belay count is now up to five and they all live in various allocated placed, or at least they're supposed to). Also ordered a copy of Chasing the Ephemeral - whether I actually read it beyond looking at the pictures remains to be seen.
 Misha 27 Dec 2016

I raise you 'definitely difficult'! Hard as nailed boots, that.
 climber34neil 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Misha:

It's definitely worth reading as well ( took me a few goes to get past the pictures)
 climber34neil 27 Dec 2016

Enjoy your day out!!
 Paul Troon 27 Dec 2016
A titanium spork and a map case
o and shin splints!!! @
Paul
Post edited at 10:30
 alexm198 27 Dec 2016

I'll join the legion of those who got Chasing the Ephemeral. Looks like a handy little book. Photos are stunning and some good stories too.

Also got a set of WC Superlight Offsets, which I look forward to placing in some flared andesite cracks on the Ben in order to prevent becoming a gibbering wreck. Whenever winter decides to return, that is...
 leewil86 27 Dec 2016

Couple of dmm cams a fleece and 'the villain' don whillans book! , must of been a good boy this year!!
 JEF 27 Dec 2016

A black diamond no3 cam, a set of quick draws and a pair of trousers that should withstand bum-shuffling decents!

fire_munki 27 Dec 2016

Blue Tricam and a 1st edition of Games Climbers Play. Plus some bike stuff.

All of which are useless as my back is not happy. Word of advice, those of us older than say 15: don't go on trampolines. God it was fun for 60 mins but 2 weeks of pain is not worth it.
 John Kelly 27 Dec 2016

I shaved 25grams off my rack and added 2kg at the table
 petestack 27 Dec 2016

I bought myself 'The Bond' (and am reading it now) as well as sent a copy to my brother... does that count?
 climbwhenready 27 Dec 2016

I got my first bouldering pad - a DMM highball.

Now that I live walking distance from Yorkshire grit, should allow me to wander up there of an evening and get some short climbing done!
In reply to petestack:
> does that count?

I think so
When you've finished it, let us all know what you think.
 Babika 27 Dec 2016

A very unexpected but wonderful pair of Scarpa Techno x shoes. Yippee!

Sadly two sizes too small so they'll have to be changed but the thought was definitely there
 AP Melbourne 28 Dec 2016
In reply to petestack:

> I bought myself 'The Bond'

Being from the same publishing stable, Simon McCartney & I swapped books between Hong Kong & Oz and I saved his The Bond for Chrizzy. About to commence reading this arvo.
 Greenbanks 28 Dec 2016

'Nowt but the..' book and finger exercisers.
 Paul16 28 Dec 2016

Got a copy of Peak Rock - looks like an amazing piece of work. Just reading about Puttrell at the moment.

No gear, had some ice screws last month for my birthday and if I'm honest my family are probably sick of being asked to buy climbing gear.
 angry pirate 28 Dec 2016

Thank you! I did. A day of type 2 fun schlepping over Bleaklow in the wind. Decided to chuck on my winter boots with yeti gauntlets which were ideal for knee deep bogs
Additional haul: Nick Bullock Echoes, an ace read and the Mick Fowler book which I'm really looking forward to after reading Vertical Pleasure.
 climber34neil 28 Dec 2016

I can vouch for both of those books as being excellent reads as well! Glad you had a good couple of days!
 jon 28 Dec 2016

I wanted some of those really strong fingers that most sponsored climbers have these days. Petzl do them, I think. Also one of those gizmos that shuts the brain off when you get a metre or so above a bolt... but no chance. I got a deep fat frier...
 philluu 28 Dec 2016

I got Punk in the gym - very much looking forward to reading it!
 Offwidth 29 Dec 2016

I already have too much climbing stuff but I was wearing a self purchased BMC T shirt.

Currently finishing reading Wild Country which is really enjoyable and will start Punk next.

You forgot dirtily difficult, delightfully difficult, delicately difficult, doggedly difficult.... maybe you could start a climbing thread on early cliimbs that would typify such names... I've never seen one here before
 Tigger 29 Dec 2016

Not a bad little haul this year

Size 6 Dragon
Trad light and phantom snap gates for quick draws
The new Lakes selective
Tenaya Iati's
And Gogarth North definitive

Oh and Go-outdoors replaced my worn out Scarpa's due to crappy Velcro, say hello new Miura VS's
 neuromancer 29 Dec 2016
I haven't climbed in ages due to work but I got a signed copy of Chris Bonnington's Mountaineer who rather kindly wrote 'dear neuromancer, here's some inspiration for when you get some time off' inside.

So I may have bought myself some ice axes also.
Post edited at 12:18
 Rob Naylor 30 Dec 2016
In reply to petestack:

> I bought myself 'The Bond' (and am reading it now) as well as sent a copy to my brother... does that count?

I was given The Bond as a present. I didn't surface much on Boxing day until I'd finished it!

Also given Andy Kirkpartick's "1000+ Tips for Climbers" which I'm saving until after I've done the Fan Dance race next Saturday.
In reply to Rob Naylor:
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on 1001 tips. I had a quick flick through in the shop but was undecided whether to buy it.
 LJJ77 30 Dec 2016

I had some DMM Demon 1,2,3,4 cams but I had them early some RAB guide gloves, DMM pivot belay device and a pair of singing rock bandits (the last was a present to myself)
 angry pirate 30 Dec 2016
In reply to LJJ77:

Bandits are ace! I really like mine (bumbly that I am)
 Rob Naylor 31 Dec 2016

Still not got properly into it. "The Bond" was ace, though, IMO. Will report back on Mr K's book once I'm well into it.
 TheFasting 31 Dec 2016

Got a pair of Nepal Extremes and some money for crampons (someone here suggested Petzl Lynx, so going with that)
 nniff 31 Dec 2016

A pair of Black Diamond Cobras. How spoilt am I? I did shift the old ones by Christmas Eve though
 TobyA 31 Dec 2016
In reply to nniff:

> A pair of Black Diamond Cobras. How spoilt am I?

Very spoilt. Enjoy - they feel great but make odd noise when you are used to metal. I was watching that Captain America silliness last night with the kids when it was on TV and noticed that the Bad Guys abseiled off Cobras that they had swung into the bonnets of cars on an overpass - I'm sure BD does not approve!
 TobyA 31 Dec 2016

I got Chasing the Ephemeral by Simon Richardson - this will mainly make me feel bad if I fail to get to Scotland to climb this winter. Cool book.
 veteye 31 Dec 2016

I had not heard of Chasing the Ephemeral until I went up to Aviemore for a few days/long weekend, the weekend before Christmas(When Sneachda was totally devoid of even a snow patch), but I came across it in the gear shop North of Tesco's. So I bought it for myself as a Christmas present along with some new Boreal Rock boots as the light blue 5.10s are going and they don't make them any more.
Looking forward to working my way through the CTE book-a damned good idea. I hope that I can catch the right philosophy from this far away(Stamford Lincs)
 veteye 31 Dec 2016
In reply to nniff:

One year I had just one of those amazing Carbon picks as a present,but by the end of Feb I had dropped it in Observatory gully in the dark(my mate put it into my waist band, which was not fastened) and never found it again. no-one brought it to the CIC where we were staying either.
 FreeHeelSki 02 Jan 2017

Black Diamond First Shot
E-Climb Dissip for when l fall off
Pair of DMM Vaults for racking my non-existent collection of screws (my original collection must have been recycled into Coke cans by now)
Pair of 60cm extenders

Wrapped them all myself and had the kids present them to me on Crimbo Day.

Best present is Mrs FreeHeelSki giving me an additional week in Scotland this season.
 More-On 03 Jan 2017

Currently working my way through The Great Mountain Crags Of Scotland, which is fantastic.
Also got the customary Good Beer Guide, which although not climbing related goes on all climbing (and other) trips...
 Andy Johnson 03 Jan 2017

I was given a copy of Ron Fawcett's autobiography, Rock Athlete, which I'm really enjoying.

On the other hand, my lovely (non-climbing) partner gave me a copy of The Ascent Of Rum Doodle, which I'm going to have to at least try to read.

And a #5 dragon cam.
 Toerag 03 Jan 2017
My usual Harenberg 'Alpen' desktop calendar - I think they're brilliant, and use the old months to 'wallpaper' my garage
http://harenberg-kalender.de/alpen-2017/
 nniff 03 Jan 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:

> On the other hand, my lovely (non-climbing) partner gave me a copy of The Ascent Of Rum Doodle, which I'm going to have to at least try to read.

The Ascent of Rum Doodle is perhaps the finest book on climbing that has ever been published: in fact, many have observed that no author has ever written a better account of mountaineering.

The Ivanator 03 Jan 2017

From sister "The Bond" (looks great - only read introduction so far), from Mum Katana Lace Rockshoes, from wife DMM Demon Cam 3.5 (and lots of non climbing stuff), from parents-in-law Mini Traxion, from Dad "Unseen Extremes - mapping the World's great mountains" (beautiful book).
Probably the most climbing related stuff I've ever received in one year, makes me feel a little one dimensional, but it's certainly better than loads of stuff that will never get used/looked at.
 Tim Sparrow 03 Jan 2017
In reply to nniff:

Ah, the long held dream materialises.
 edhawk21 04 Jan 2017

The new Chamonix Rockfax book, A55 Sport climbs and Meru on Bluray
 nniff 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

You noticed........

steveriley 04 Jan 2017

Couple of books for me. The most excellent Pollitt Bureau/Punk in the Gym. Only a handful of chapters in so far but already making me smile a lot. Homework for the year: Clwyd Rockfax.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...