Helmet and ropes, inside or outside pack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ROSP 26 Dec 2016

It seems to me that you can use a 30L pack for everything up to and including Scottish winter if you simply have your rope and helmet on the outside! But some people seem to have a weird obsession that everything for a route muse be inside their pack so end up carting around a ridiculous sized rucksack.

Why do people think you must have everything in you pack, are there any serious advantages other than fashion? And why is it considered punterish to clip stuff to the outside?

Post edited at 11:48
 snoop6060 26 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

> But some people seem to have a weird obsession

With posting daft shit on UKC
 elliott92 26 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

All depends on the approach. If it's an hour and a half scramble in the mountains to get to the start of the route then I prefer it all in the pack to stop it snagging on things. If the approach is just a hike then I take a smaller pack with it lashed to the outside
 Trangia 26 Dec 2016
In reply to elliott92:

I prefer it all in the pack to stop it snagging on things.

Isn't that the reason in a nutshell?

Nothing to do with being punterish.

abseil 26 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

I always have the rope outside my pack to show passing hikers what a hard man I am, living on the edge, brave, ready to hurl myself up mighty cliffs and then go home for tea.
 timjones 26 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

> It seems to me that you can use a 30L pack for everything up to and including Scottish winter if you simply have your rope and helmet on the outside! But some people seem to have a weird obsession that everything for a route muse be inside their pack so end up carting around a ridiculous sized rucksack.

> Why do people think you must have everything in you pack, are there any serious advantages other than fashion? And why is it considered punterish to clip stuff to the outside?

What on earth makes you think that anyone thinks it is "punterish" to clip things on the outside?

Have you got self confidence issues?
 GridNorth 26 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

I prefer to keep ropes and helmet on the outside because a) I can carry a smaller sack that is not too big to climb in if necessary b) I don't like all the weight pulling on my shoulders so I like to carry the rope separate c) what is there to snag on in the mountains which is when I would normally carry a rucksack rather than a cragging bag.

Al
 BnB 26 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

I like to make sure the rope stays dry at least until I start dragging it across the snow. Wet rope weighs considerably more than dry and I can shield in in my 35/40l winter pack. But on dry summer days it's rope on the outside as my rock/scrambling pack is only 26l.
 ianstevens 26 Dec 2016
In reply to timjones:
For the reason abseil highlights above - it creates the impression (even if not the intention) that you want others to know you are a "climber" (whatever the f*ck that is). I don't see why you would want your rope/helmet exposed to the inevitable dampness/windblown snow outside your bag getting wet when you can put them inside. If you need more than a 35L bag for winter and you can't get the rope and your lid in it, you've got to much shit. Literally every bag ever made has straps to compress it down so they don't flap around once you've taken stuff out.

And remember, punter watch is always watching.
Post edited at 16:42
 Andy Hardy 26 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

If you want to strap rope and helmet to the outside of your sack, that's fine. If you don't want to get your stuff wet, buy a bigger sack and put it all inside, that's fine too.

Nobody *really* gives a toss.
 Sophie G. 26 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:
First thing: it doesn't matter what other people think about how your pack looks. Do what suits you.

Second thing: I personally prefer everything inside because things on the outside swing and clink with my movement and the wind, which gets on my nerves after a while, and in a high wind is slightly energy-inefficient.

The exception to this is my helmet, which I wear most of the time, simply because a helmet is bulky so it's the easiest way to carry it, and also because it helps my hood stay where I want it, whether that is up or down. (And thirdly, because even in Scotland, on some routes you actually want head-protection on the approach and retreat.)
Post edited at 18:23
 Brass Nipples 26 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

I prefer to walk in wearing my harness and helmet with hexes clanging like cow bells and rope swinging jauntily over my shoulder. That way everyone knows to clear the path for an "expert" approaching the task at hand.

JEF 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> I prefer to walk in wearing my harness and helmet with hexes clanging like cow bells and rope swinging jauntily over my shoulder. That way everyone knows to clear the path for an "expert" approaching the task at hand.

Wearing tweed plus-fours and red socks!
In reply to ianstevens:

> And remember, punter watch is always watching.

Those punterwatch cameras are everywhere. There's a yellow VW camper with a climbing picture on the outside taking a kicking at the moment.

Worryingly, outside work my everyday wear is Prana jeans and DMM tee shirt. Better keep the logos covered up

johncook 27 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

If your stuff won't fit in your pack, you bought the wrong pack!
Ropes and helmets are buggers for getting caught on various obstructions, like trees, barbed wire narrow descent chimneys etc. I taught myself to ration my gear and pack carefully so that everything I actually needed was in the pack and no space was wasted on a variety of useless stuff that 'would be nice to have'.
Good luck with your winter/summer climbing. Do what suits you so long as you don't endanger other peoples physical and mental wellbeing!
Enjoy!
 Trangia 27 Dec 2016
In reply to abseil:

> I always have the rope outside my pack to show passing hikers what a hard man I am, living on the edge, brave, ready to hurl myself up mighty cliffs and then go home for tea.

I'll bet you keep your house and car keys on a krab too? Preferably an anodised one in a lovely blue or red colour
 GrahamD 27 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

I think my pack shrinks during the day. In the morning I can get rack, abseil rope and climbing rope plus water and waterproof in the pack but come the evening the abseil rope has to end up outside.
 jondo 27 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

> It seems to me that you can use a 30L pack for everything up to and including Scottish winter if you simply have your rope and helmet on the outside! But some people seem to have a weird obsession that everything for a route muse be inside their pack so end up carting around a ridiculous sized rucksack.

> Why do people think you must have everything in you pack, are there any serious advantages other than fashion? And why is it considered punterish to clip stuff to the outside?

helmet out, rope on rope strap, most climbing packs have these...
though helmet inside saves it from scrapes
 MG 27 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:
Stuff on the outside flaps about, gets caught on stuff, gets wet, and makes annoying noises. It also makes getting at stuff on the inside harder.
Post edited at 18:38
 nniff 28 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

All on the inside (except axes). The weight difference between a big sack and a small one is not a lot and wet ropes are a PITA. At the top in a gale, far easier to bundle everything in and leave quickly. When climbing, all the sack contains is belay jacket, walking poles, a waterproof, a flask and a bit to eat; it squashes down small with all those straps that people use to lash things to their rucksack.....
 Fraser 28 Dec 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Having previously used a larger sack to take everything, or a smaller one with a separate rope bag, I finally got a decent rucksack last year. I now probably prefer having the rope slung under the lid secured with a rope strap. As you say it means you can have a smaller sack with 'clip-ons' essentially. Having said that, I definitely find it's more balanced to walk in when everything is inside the sack, so it's swings and roundabouts really. 30L however is to small for me when I'm carrying camera gear etc, so I now use a 45L sack which seems ideal.
 d_b 28 Dec 2016
In reply to abseil:

I always have the rope outside my pack to show passing hikers what a hard man I am, living on the edge, brave, ready to hurl myself up mighty cliffs and then go home for tea.

These days I prefer to cut out the middleman and get straight into the drinking tea. It's more efficient.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...