Skye trail Ultra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drunken monkey 22 Dec 2016
Hi folks - anyone off here done this race? I see entries are open for 2017.

the route looks fantastic, although the cost is expensive - any feedback from folk who may have done it before/

thanks
Ste Brom 16 Jan 2017
In reply to drunken monkey:

Heard good things, but too late, signed up anyway...
 2ba 18 Jan 2017
In reply to drunken monkey:

I did it the first year. I describe it as a race for connoisseurs. It is a magic route, but not for everyone since it is quite tough. Now, I hear you saw, lots of Ultra's are tough, so why is this one? Partly logistics - getting to the start on time required only two hrs sleep the night before, after a long drive. The first leg is a marathon over the hills - about 25 miles and about 2000m ascent (if I remember) along the whole of the Trotternish Ridge. Sublime running with a killer descent into Portree. Awesome single track, scenery, bog. My time estimate for this was 6hr 6mins and I came in a minute under this. Only ~47 miles to go (think the Fling).

The next leg to Sligachan is road and many stream hops. Glen Sligachan it just fantastic. We had had torrential rain for 2 weeks before and while dry on the day, the paths were very vey wet (wet feet from 20mins after the start of the race to the end). This run really requires rear view mirrors since as you leave Cammusunary to Elgol the technical coastal path requires full attention - but do stop an look back. Gob smacking.

Elgol hill checks the SOH, then some great paths visit secret Skye and the place people don't go, and the most beautiful Bluebell wood I have seen. Blaven carpark - hey, only a half marathon to go, but some rough running, secret beaches best avoided in the dark - and fabulous trails back to Broadford.

My time would have won in the second year of the race. Go for it. It is one on of the best places to run.

For toughness, think of doing Jura followed by the Fling possibly!

Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...