Ski Mountaineering Kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GWA 19 Dec 2016
Hi does anybody know what company in the UK is best to get kitted up with Ski Touring gear (boots, skis, skins)?

Many thanks

Geoff
In reply to GWA:

Glide and Slide in Otley fitted my bindings to my touring skis, after I bought them online.

They seemed very clued up about touring and others recommended them to me.
 jonnie3430 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GWA:

Braemar mountain sport?
 tehmarks 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GWA:

For the ski side of things, I can highly recommend Jon at The Piste Office. I bought my first pair of skis from him yonks ago, and will be going back to him early next year to have them remounted with touring bindings. A wonderful chap, and undoubtedly an expert in skis, maintenance and repair.

For boots, Backountry UK in Ilkley seem to have a good reputation, and is probably where I'll head to for boots.
 FreeHeelSki 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GWA:
To get expertise and a range of kit at a the best price in the UK is a challenge.

If you're happy with your boot size, and content with ordering on-line, Telemark Pyrennes are a great bunch. I've bought quite a bit from them in the past (my last two ski/binding/skins/boot combos were from TP). They don't just do tele kit, they have a huge range of mountaineering and ski-touring/mountaineering kit across all disciplines.

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com

I'm all for supporting UK shops, but you rarely seem to get the best prices in the UK for ski touring kit, it often seems at RRP, even if it's last season's gear. Saying that, Facewest were good, but they've really wound down their ski range this season.

TP are great for advice as well.
Post edited at 14:35
 zimpara 19 Dec 2016
In reply to FreeHeelSki:

Blacks sells some really discounted skis and boots, dunno if they are any good!
 Doug 19 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Never seen any ski mountaineering gear in Blacks, are you getting confused with downhill gear ?

HammondR 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GWA:

Geoff

Whereabouts in the UK are you located? It might make a difference to some of the recommended suppliers
 j_duds 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GWA:

Backcountry in Ilkley:

http://www.backcountryuk.com
 zimpara 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Doug:

Only seen it on their website
 blurty 19 Dec 2016
In reply to tehmarks:

> For the ski side of things, I can highly recommend Jon at The Piste Office. I bought my first pair of skis from him yonks ago, and will be going back to him early next year to have them remounted with touring bindings. A wonderful chap, and undoubtedly an expert in skis, maintenance and repair.

> For boots, Backountry UK in Ilkley seem to have a good reputation, and is probably where I'll head to for boots.

My recommendation excatly
 earlsdonwhu 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GWA:

Boots get fitted in UK from Facewest, Braemar, Lockwoods etc.

Other hardware get from Sport Conrad online. Pity for Uk shops but the choice is wide and prices are good.
 mike123 19 Dec 2016
In reply to tehmarks:
A second thumbs up for Jon at the piste office for skis, bindings and all things related to ski servicing . Best in the uk.
 SteveM 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GWA:

Another vote for Backcountry in Ilkley! Now in new premises too
 Jim 1003 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GWA:

Decathlon, if you have problems you can take any of it back even after using it. Includes boots and skis!
 TobyA 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Do they do any touring kit?! Haven't seen any in my local shop but I know they have lots more stuff online.
 Jim 1003 20 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA:

They sell it in online in the UK, massive stock, also in store, slightly less. Easy to return if it doesn't suit, huge savings over UK shops.
 ed woods 20 Dec 2016
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

A lot of folk mention Braemar, it is a good shop. However I've had different experiences there. 3-4 years ago my wife had boots fitted - service was excellent, the fitter had lots of experience and ideas. She ended up with a few shell mods (inc cuts to the cuff etc) that really worked. I went back a year later and the lad I saw couldn't do much more than heat the liners. They had no hard foam to reduce volume under the tongue, something that's pretty standard. Ended up doing more to the boots myself at home. A bit disappointing after driving up from Edinburgh.

Moral of the story... Boot-fitting can be very much who you get on the day, so I'd be skeptical about online reputations and phone any shop beforehand to ask a few searching questions. You can get loads of fitting info from Wildsnow if you do your research.

For skis though... Jon Coster deserves the excellent rep that the Piste Office has gained. I've had a few pairs from him, he's so helpful and his knowledge of what he sells is fantastic. He posts as spyderjon on Snowheads.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...