The Eastern Traverse - Ben Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ipfreely 18 Dec 2016
The first pitch of The Eastern Traverse on Ben Nevis, Under lots of soft snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzoQeNUhGhw&t
Northern Star 18 Dec 2016
In reply to ipfreely:

Normally some good gear if you dig around in the crack just before the small downclimb - wouldn't fancy doing it as run out as that. Oh and if you could have stopped to look around a little with the headcam rather than just focus on your axes then you could have shown the full horror of the exposure beneath. Can you go and do it again please
OP ipfreely 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Northern Star:

Maybe if we get some snow
 pass and peak 19 Dec 2016
In reply to ipfreely:

There used to be an in situ peg in that crack just before the down climb, anyone know if its still there, would be quite high up in lean conditions from what I remember!
 Michael Gordon 20 Dec 2016
In reply to pass and peak:

I remember it used to be fine but think a block may have disappeared a couple of years ago (making it further to step down).
 Billhook 20 Dec 2016
In reply to ipfreely:

Unfortunately the video =- another go pro -= just filmed a couple of axes flaying about on rock and snow. No views!!

Bah-humbug! Happy Xmas.
 rossn 20 Dec 2016
In reply to pass and peak:

All the old rusty pegs from the traverse were removed a few years ago. I think there might have been 3, not sure. From memory it started the usual debate about in situ gear. Should it be there, how do you know if its any good, does it deface the mountain, if you need to use it you shouldn't be there in the first place. Then there was a similar discussion about slings left at Tower Gap and I think, may be wrong, the same person who 'cleaned' the traverse removed the tat from the gap. Of course the gap has had the slings replaced, added to, reduced on many occasions since. But to answer your question that peg is definitely gone.

RN

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...