Braehead Indoor Icewall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Climbers were observed last night ascending routes, which clearly weren't in acceptable winter conditions!

The unseasonably lean conditions, over the past 2 months, have clearly not allowed any ice to be built up, to any useable depth! As a result, the underlying metal bar is being damaged to an extent, that future ascents might not be possible, except for exceptional seasons! Even mixed climbing isn't possible, due to the lack of ice beneath barring access.

I fear it's only a matter of time before dry tooling ascents of the indoor rock wall at the entrance, witness climbers scratching their way up plastic.......

Stuart
Post edited at 15:07
 Pids 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Stuart the postie:

I thought that hooking the rebar was the only way to climb at Braehead, it has always been lean whenever I've visited.

Desperation kicking in this year though, lean ascents of Braehead may be the only option.

The indoor upstairs place has those wooden jobbies you hook on the holds though, have seen folk using them in the past. And I can advise that they do carry them out when finished, they don't just leave the jobbies lying around.
 Tricadam 16 Dec 2016

Sad to see global warming taking its toll on such classic routes. When I were a lad we used to pride ourselves on soloing the long vertical, the cave and the vertical corner in a day - preferably before work and while still pissed from drinking whisky out of our cloth caps the night before. On virgin, unhooked, bullet hard ice. This younger generation has no ethics, fewer balls and at least one too many ice tools. Bring back leashes!
 boyson 16 Dec 2016

Wish they would tell you if its in before you pay
In reply to boyson:

If it's in, it's in! Otherwise they should close it to the public for essential maintenence or offer a (vastly) reduced rate session!

Stuart
 jaggy bunnet 20 Dec 2016

Was it Archie MacPherson or Arthur Montford who coined the phrase : " It's a disaster for Scotland" ??

Says it all about Bra-heid in my book.
 kwoods 20 Dec 2016

Had a great day's skiing at Braehead last week (first time on skis ) but the ice wall in the corner did look a bit sad...
 coinneach 20 Dec 2016
In reply to jaggy bunnet:

> Was it Archie MacPherson or Arthur Montford who coined the phrase : " It's a disaster for Scotland" ??

Neither . . . . It was William Wallace.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...