Advice re boots for touring and climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 14 Dec 2016
What would you guys recommend I consider in terms of a touring boot that performs reasonably well both on descents and climbing steep-ish ice? I'm 90kg and currently climb in size 44 Nepal Cubes.

And any recommendations as to a good boot fitter in Scotland? I live in Glasgow but am happy to travel.
OP Tricadam 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

BTW just to clarify, am not looking for something that's going to *replace* the Nepals! Could've worded that more clearly!
 jonnie3430 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

I went for the pair that fitted best for skiing and made sure I could walk fine. I'd have liked the dynafit tlt6, but they didn't fit and I've had awful problems the past with touring boots that hurt for skiing after an hour or two. I don't think some of the super light touring boots would work as i think they flex over the forefoot. I settled on scarpa maestrale which seem fine.

I had the same dramas as you for trying them out and ended buying in Chamonix. Cairngorm or braemar mountain sport is probably your best bet and you may be able to hire before you buy.
 Just Will 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

Arcteryx have just released a boot this Autumn attempting to fill the void between touring and climbing:
http://www.arcteryx.com/Article.aspx?country=gb&language=en&article...

Scarpa Maestrales also meant to be quite good
 blurty 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Will Kernick:

I have Maestrales, they are good for climbing (Takes one back to the old days, climbing in plastics!).

I've heard that the Arcteryx boots leak - beware/ do some research

As said above, good fit is the most important factor to consider, then secure crampon attachment if to be used for climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...