Sci-fi films worth a watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bellie 13 Dec 2016
I'm looking for some recommendations for films over the Christmas period.

I'm not much of a film watcher these days as I'm usually asleep when I get chance to sit down.

I have The Martian on my list. I'm not so much into Aliens type thing. Although I did get through Prometheus.

I have a secondary interest in that I'm looking at the interior designs of spacecraft/stations for a project I'm doing.

Cheers
cb294 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

For the design you HAVE to see Alien, even if you don´t watch the entire thing. That is probably the greatest interior of a film spaceship ever,

Otherwise, Solaris and Blade Runner were genre defining.

Also, Battlefield Earth, just to experience how utterly idiotic SciFi can be.

CB

xyz 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

There really is only one choice and that's 2001
 Snot 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Moon
 jethro kiernan 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

for design obviously check out Stanley Kubricks 2001
the sky fi channel on satellite has a few gems hidden away among the dross
 toad 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

from a design perspective, the Star Trek films are interesting in the way the design of the Starship Enterprise has changed over the years, whilst retaining the same iconic features. DON'T try watching all the films though. Some are OK, One is excellent (WofK), many are pants.

Serenity is excellent, and an interesting grungy ship, contrast with the shiny government ships

Dune is completely hatstand. I love it!
 Duncan Bourne 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Ex Machina - excellent film
Bellie 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have Moon on DVD, I enjoyed it. I guess for 'research' I'll need to revisit the genre defining ones such as Alien. Who knows I might enjoy them this time round.

I saw an article on the computer graphics for The Martian... the actual computer screen graphics - not any CGI. It was amazing how much detail was gone into on these things. I can't seem to find the actual article now.
 graeme jackson 13 Dec 2016
In reply to toad:

> Serenity is excellent, and an interesting grungy ship, contrast with the shiny government ships

Also has the best bit of dialogue in any movie ever....

"Kaylee Frye: Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Oh, God! I can't *know* that!

Jayne Cobb: I could stand to hear a little more. "
 Steve Perry 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie: Event Horizon is good.

SenzuBean 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I thought Ender's Game film was pretty good - although I think I enjoyed the book more.

Insterstellar is mostly good, and the music is brilliant.

You MUST watch Europa Report. It's probably the best scifi movie I've ever seen.
 Scarab9 13 Dec 2016
In reply to cb294:

> For the design you HAVE to see Alien, even if you don´t watch the entire thing. That is probably the greatest interior of a film spaceship ever,

WRONG!
Watch firefly/Serenity.

You're welcome .

:-p
abseil 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I like the movie "Contact". (And another vote for "2001").
cb294 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Just had a look a the trailer. Not even close.

CB
 bensilvestre 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Moon is amazing

Firefly/ Serenity are amazing too, if not a bit different. Properly fell in love with them
 planetmarshall 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

> Watch firefly/Serenity.

Tedious fanboy wank.

Try "Primer", and see how many viewings it takes to work out wtf is going on.

No spaceships, though.
 Liamhutch89 13 Dec 2016
Just came out: arrival

Aliens visit earth and a linguist is hired to try and communicate with them learning something very sci fi in the process.

Rated very highly by critics too
Removed User 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

For niche Kiwi made post-apocalyptic sci-fi, look no further than The Quiet Earth.

2001, Bladerunner, Alien(s) all essential viewing.
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Tedious fanboy wank.

> Try "Primer", and see how many viewings it takes to work out wtf is going on.

> No spaceships, though.

I absolutely love "Primer" one of my favourite films of all time.
Totally bonkers at the first watching.

TS
Bellie 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Plenty here to have a go at. Checked out some of the trailers. That Darkstar looks like Oliver Postgate meets Space 1999 : ) Proper old school sci fi. I did like Blakes 7.

Tom Valentine 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
Last twenty years: Gattaca
Last couple of years: I Origin
Last week: Midnight Special
Post edited at 15:39
 Scarab9 13 Dec 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Just had a look a the trailer. Not even close.

> CB

I shall assemble the nerds and we will hunt you down blasphemer!
 hokkyokusei 13 Dec 2016

https://xkcd.com/657/
Apparently, you need to "watch the ties".

cb294 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Forgive me O master, I failed to spot the sarcasm (at least I hope that is the case)....
CB
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I don't think Interstellar has had a mention yet. Ok film, and you'd probably find it interesting from a design point of view. The robots are the most original for years - basically just a wardrobe sized self-propelled Leatherman.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Guardians of the Galaxy so far. It's wonderful!

Not a film but if you can it might be worth looking at the Battlestar Galactica tv series. (The 2004-2009 one, not the cheesy 70s/80s one.) I think it's the only spaceship I've seen on film or TV that has actual plumbing. And bulkhead doors that swing open on hinges!
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> Last week: Midnight Special

But a stylistic throwback to something much older. It feels very "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", in a similar sort of way to how Super 8 was an homage to ET.
Bellie 13 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

In all these spacestation designs they all seem to have the interlocking sliding door design usually hexagon shape!. Obviously a future thing, but one that we hardly see in house design in the here and now. It wouldn't take much either - surely, for a door to recess into the stud wall.

Tom Valentine 13 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Nevertheless I enjoyed it.
 1poundSOCKS 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> I'm looking for some recommendations for films over the Christmas period.

Flash Gordon?

> Although I did get through Prometheus.

I think that's the most positive review I've seen.
In reply to Snot:

> Moon

..which features the best (and possibly only....) use of a Chesney Hawkes song in movie history

Padraig 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Barbarella?
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2016
> Nevertheless I enjoyed it.

Me too, it wasn't meant as a complaint.
 toad 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

ooh yes, Flash Gordon. Very camp and very retro.

Have we had Silent Running, yet? Some of the ship scenes got reused in Battlestar Galactica (the old one), although I think there were some cameos by the old TV spaceship fleet in the new remake.
 broken spectre 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Alien Resurrection - an overlooked classic! Featuring biometric breath sensors and Ripley, revived as a powerful human/alien hybrid clone who must continue her war against the alien
 Blue Straggler 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
Predestination. No spaceship interiors though.

Midnight Special was dull, meandering and directionless.
Post edited at 18:18
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Flash Gordon?

GORDON'S ALIVE!!

Chris Harris 13 Dec 2016
In reply to toad:

> Have we had Silent Running, yet?

Yes, 1st reply to the topic, by me. Someone, for no doubt good reasons, has given me a dislike for it.

In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> ..which features the best (and possibly only....) use of a Chesney Hawkes song in movie history

Well the song was launched on a film soundtrack, but I'll give you *best*.

In reply to hokkyokusei:

Bad form! Are you also a prolific beta sprayer?
 Pekkie 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> Proper old school sci fi. I did like Blakes 7.

For old school sci fi try Forbidden Planet. Acting and sets are fifties-ish but pretty good and thought-provoking.

aln 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Best sci fi film ever is The Fifth Element. Best on screen sci fi is a TV series, Babylon 5, cheap box sets are available. The Alien films, ET and Close Encounters are great, District 9 is brilliant, Mars Attacks is a hoot.

Oops. Right enough..!

cb294 13 Dec 2016
In reply to aln:

Yes, how could I forget Mars Attacks!

Attack the Block is also good fun.

CB
 wintertree 13 Dec 2016

> ..which features the best (and possibly only....) use of a Chesney Hawkes song in movie history

"Doc Hollywood" opens with "The One And Only"
 aln 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

> For old school sci fi try Forbidden Planet. Acting and sets are fifties-ish but pretty good and thought-provoking.

Good shout.
 aln 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I saw Arrival recently, it was excellent.
 wintertree 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Most of my favourite films have already been mentioned.

Starship Troopers is quite jolly; the use of CRTs make the ships bridges look very dated - somehow Star Trek managed to pull of a significantly more timeless look. The actual spacecraft in starship troopers seem more believable however - more like a large military ship but in space. The defining technology described in the 1959 Heinlein novel of Troopers is now on the cusp of cutting edge reality.

Wall-E is a good synthesis of many classic sci of ideas. Reminds me a lot of Rob Grant's book Colony which in turn reminds me of Heinlein's 1941 "Orphans of the Sky" - the bridge design in that is in parts ultra modern with the use of optical touch sensors etc.

2010 looks more at the spaceships of the 2001 universe. More politics and less trippy weirdness than its predecessor.

For realistic small spaceship cockpit design rooted in near-future technology the Starfury fighters from Babylon-5 are pretty good, similar things with the Mk-II viper from the recent Galactica.

The cartoon series Archer went into space with a couple of spaceships and a space station, they were more rooted in the near future than most stuff you'll see on the small screen.

They've been mentioned but Silent Running and Dark Star are both masterpieces.
Post edited at 20:06
 MonkeyPuzzle 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Under the Skin (Scarlett Johansson bonus!) is beautiful, sad and unsettling.
In reply to wintertree:

Well there you go. ..

It's use in moon still the best though
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Pekkie:
> For old school sci fi try Forbidden Planet. Acting and sets are fifties-ish but pretty good and thought-provoking.

Good call. Especially as the OP said he's interested in design, classic stuff. Robbie is pretty much the definitive movie robot. (That's one of the main reasons I suggested Interstellar - rare to find a movie imaginative enough to feature a robot character who's nothing like him.)
 freeflyer 13 Dec 2016

> Flash Gordon?

> GORDON'S ALIVE!!

+1 - soundtrack by Queen, BRIAN BLESSED, Ornella Muti, some of the best OTT quotes ever. Pathetic earthlings.

Cocoon.

Innerspace.

and if you tire of the telly, a great work of SF that has never yet been filmed: Cities in Flight by James Blish.
 Andy Farnell 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

> Event Horizon is good.

No. It's very, very good. Possibly the best sci-fi horror film. Excluding the first Alien. Obviously.

Andy F
 hokkyokusei 13 Dec 2016

> Bad form! Are you also a prolific beta sprayer?

I'm sorry if that spoils it for anyone, but it didn't help me much!
 deepsoup 13 Dec 2016
In reply to andy farnell:
I thought it was utter bilge, sorry. No accounting for taste I suppose.
 alan moore 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Cargo is really good. German I think.

Currently enjoying Black Mirror.
 Andy Farnell 13 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> I thought it was utter bilge, sorry. No accounting for taste I suppose.

Each to their own.

Andy F
 Bobling 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Recently I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. Apart from the end when a typically Hollywood denouemont is reached, but the bit before is cool, as is the concept if you've ever spent a long time mastering a computer game. Of course it's not a classic like many of te films above but thought I'd throw it out there.
 Pbob 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

For something a bit different try Robinson Crusoe on Mars or even Fantastic Planet, both very much of their time but very good.
 wercat 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

As well as Dark Star, look for "Silent Running"
 wercat 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

for Space (and underwater) Fashion as well as interiors and posteriors there is UFO, not to be missed.

wercat 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Pbob:

interesting about UFO is that it predicted Alien attacks and secret defence organisations in the 1980s. What we actually got were the Sinclair ZX80 and CB radio, not to mention Legs n Co
 ogreville 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

event horizon

sunshine

the fountain

blade runner

close encounters

for style, you MUST see the fifth element

Ai

Red Dwarf????
 Dave Garnett 13 Dec 2016
In reply to andy farnell:

> No. It's very, very good. Possibly the best sci-fi horror film. Excluding the first Alien. Obviously.

Yes, Event Horizon always scares the bejesus out of me.

I thought Interstellar was interesting (and the special effects modelling the wormhole and black hole generated several proper science publications), although I still think there's a glaring temporal paradox in the timeline of the story.

Rumours persist of an Iain M Banks Culture movie although, sadly, it's probably State of the Art rather than Consider Phlebus (actually, my vote would be for Surface Detail)

Dave Garnett 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Pekkie:

Another vote for Forbidden Planet. For its age the special effects are outstanding and there are some interesting concepts. Plus it's based on Shakespeare and so positively high-brow.
 Bootrock 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Interstellar.
 Jimmy1976 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:
'Use of weapons' would be my choice, brilliant book.
In reply to Bootrock:

Another vote for interstellar. Definitely got some science for your sci fi.
 lorentz 13 Dec 2016
In reply to ogreville:
Another vote for Danny Boyle's "Sunshine."

For interiors and general style of the piece (thinking those heat suits especially) and also for the plot, characterisations etc. Great scifi film & barely mentioned this far.
Post edited at 23:22
 pencilled in 14 Dec 2016
In reply to lorentz: Interstellar was such a surprisingly good film, it gathers such momentum; really beautifully directed. Moon, Sunshine, Starship Troopers, Star Wars, E.T., Ex Machina, Looper, The Time Travellers Wife, About Time... are all nice passages of time.

stp 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Prometheus is the worst of the 5 Alien movies. Films 1 - 4 are much better. Some people aren't so keen on 3 though a friend of mine says it was his favourite.

The Martian is definitely good imo.

There are also the five Terminator films if you've not seen them. No. 2 is the best but all are pretty good.

The Matrix trilogy?

If you liked Moon then Source Code by the same director, Duncan Jones, is very good: proper sci fi in that explores weird possibilities of what future technology might lead to.

Ex Machina, AI, and Transcendence are different views on AI.

Limitless is a sci-fi/thriller about smart drugs of the future.

Looper and Predestination are pretty decent thrillers involving time travel.

Minority Report is a really interesting film about using physics to see crimes before they happen. Sound a bit naff like that but really good film.

Oblivion is set in the future when Earth's resources have been completely destroyed. Another interesting unpredictable story.

In Time, set in a future where people can stop aging.

District 9 is about a harmless Alien Space ship marooned in Johannesburg and also about racism.

Edge of Tomorrow is a mind bender featuring the use of time travel.

There are the Planet of the Apes films. Rise of the Planet of the Apes is probably my favourite but most are good in different ways.

Mission to Mars I thought was good despite the low reviews.
 Kimono 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bobling:

> Recently I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. Apart from the end when a typically Hollywood denouemont is reached, but the bit before is cool, as is the concept if you've ever spent a long time mastering a computer game. Of course it's not a classic like many of te films above but thought I'd throw it out there.

I disagree...I thought it to be one of the best sci-fi films I had seen in the last 10 years. What puts people off is TC but I actually really liked in him in this.
But yes, the ending is Hollywood....I would personally have edited the ending with the view of the grenade pins

Bellie 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
Wow, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm sat with my morning cuppa digesting all of these. I've seen some of them - and in fact the ones suggested, that I have already seen, are in my collection as I liked them so much. Some - are ones that I thought I wouldn't get on with too.

I've hardly seen any of the big ones in the past few years - such as Interstellar and The Martian, so I need to get back into watching, given the oh so brief moments I get to sit down.

I do think the more odd ones like District 9 and Moon too.

Some suggestions also seem to ring a few bells from watching trailers of them at the time and thinking I must see them... but never getting round to it. So thanks for that - I will get round to it now.

There's also some real oldies in there too. I do like to see set design from way back when they actually built model sets and there wasn't such thing as CGI.

All have a big joint 'Like' for taking time to post. I didn't realise there would be so many fans of the genre.
Post edited at 08:20
 pebbles 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
moon
interstellar
solaris
the Martian
sunshine

silent running is fun in a cheesy but melancholy 1960s way
Post edited at 08:30
 wercat 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

If you look up Space 1999 the episode to watch is "Dragon's Domain" which was regarded as quite shocking at the time and a lot of people seem to remember.
 graeme jackson 14 Dec 2016

the one and only - Written for 'Buddy's Song'
also in Doc Hollywood. LA Slasher, Source Code and of course Moon.
Not a bad resume for a one hit wonder.

deepsoup 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
> There's also some real oldies in there too. I do like to see set design from way back when they actually built model sets and there wasn't such thing as CGI.

In that case - silly question, have you seen A Matter of Life and Death (1946)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Matter_of_Life_and_Death_(film)
xyz 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
> Ex Machina - excellent film

One of my favourite films of the last 5-years

I've just remembered the original Logan's Run with Jenny Agutter......

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074812/

Post edited at 09:50
 Duncan Bourne 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Kimono:

I am curious. Is Edge of tomorrow the same film as "live, die, repeat" I saw once?
 Duncan Bourne 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
If you like weird with some adult content then I recommend Lexx. Dated effects but utterly mad. Main feature a living ship that looks like a giant insect
Bellie 14 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Indeed I have, years ago. Classic David Niven.
 wercat 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

A bit of a long shot but the 1960's children's film "Thunderbirds are GO!" had a very impressive self-assembling spacecraft and you will see interesting spacecraft interior shots with the puppet crew, complete with oscilloscopes and Bob Monkouse as one of the crew. One of the nicest touches is the sequence where they leave the earth's atmosphere and the sky darkens as stars appear. Not to mention a puppet version of Cliff Richard and the Shadows performing in a celestial night club!

No CGI in prospect then, and it's impressive for its time.
 Siward 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Accompanied by the classic trekkie sound effect of pulling out then putting back a piece of paper from an envelope for the opening/closing.
 Hat Dude 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Flesh Gordon
In reply to Bellie:
For interior design, the large clear perspex hexagonal"cafetiere" of the Tardis takes some beating. A few flashing light bulbs and some wall sets from Top of the Pops and you have knocked spots off all this modern CGI nonsense. I should know, I was about 5 years old and I used to regularly sh1t myself watching it back in the 70's and so did my sister, so it must have been realistic. So that's two anecdotes, which everyone knows the plural of is data. Ergo, fact. HTH

and whilst I'm at it....that theme tune and the noise the tardis made when it disappeared.....
Post edited at 12:03
 Slategecko 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Mars attacks!
Manos the hands of fate!
 hokkyokusei 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> I am curious. Is Edge of tomorrow the same film as "live, die, repeat" I saw once?

Yes, it is.
 coolhand 14 Dec 2016
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but no-one seems to have called out Oblivion yet, which is relatively recent and relatively decent.
cb294 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

That is interesting to hear, but isn´t State of the Art a collection of short stories?

I would love to see Use of Weapons, ideally with Jessica Chastain as Sma.

CB
 aln 14 Dec 2016
In reply to coolhand:

> Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but no-one seems to have called out Oblivion yet

Mentioned above by stp
cb294 14 Dec 2016
In reply to stp:

Terminator? The first is brilliant (even if the special effects are now dated), but I did not like any of the others. Number 2? Arnie as a good guy, machine gunning his human enemies in the legs? How poor is that,
CB
 wercat 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

The original Tardis hum gave an impression of very powerful and not wholly safe technology. I loved the dematerialisation sounds - a pulsation of cosmic force together with the sound of space and time being pulled apart

wilkie14c 14 Dec 2016

> GORDON'S ALIVE!!

What do you mean Gordon's alive?
 deepsoup 14 Dec 2016
In reply to cb294:
> That is interesting to hear, but isn´t State of the Art a collection of short stories?

And a short story in itself. There have been some great (and some dreadful) sci-fi films based on a short story. (Especially a Philip K Dick short story!)

I doubt a Culture film could be made in Hollywood without it being an absolute travesty tbh, especially if they tried to adapt one of the full-length novels.
 toad 14 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

not culture, but I've always thought the obvious IMB adaption would be Against a Dark Background. Linear and (by his standards) relatively straightforward plot.

Never happen, I know.
 deepsoup 14 Dec 2016
In reply to cb294:
> Number 2? ... How poor is that,

Get outta here, it was ace!

Robert Patnick was a great villain, the CGI effects were way ahead of their time and the shape-shifting Terminator was a clever way to make the most of them whilst making indestructible Arnie the underdog.

*Poor* is the 3rd, 4th and 5th. Though the 5th did at least have the decency not to take itself too seriously.

Did you ever see the TV series (the "Sarah Connor Chronicles")? Surprisingly good. Good cast (if you don't mind Summer Glau basically reprising her role from Firefly/Serenity as the deadly weird kid), some interesting plot twists and a fine turn from Shirley Manson in the second series.

Sensibly it was set after the second film, and quietly forgot the others had ever happened.

Too bad it was abruptly canned just as it was getting interesting. Or maybe it's just as well it was canned just as it was about to jump the shark. We'll never know.

Ooh, ooh, thinking of Lena Headey, that reminds me!

Dredd! (*Not* the Sylvester Stallone one, obviously.)
I don't think anyone's suggested that yet.
 Pekkie 14 Dec 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Terminator? The first is brilliant (even if the special effects are now dated)

The perfect sci fi thriller with some great lines.

'I need your boots, your clothes and the keys to your motor-cycle.' A perfectly reasonable request - what's your problem?

The cyborg checks his onboard computer for a suitable reply to an insult in 1980s LA and comes up with 'screw you, asshole' which when you think about it is a suitable reply in 2016 London - depending on the size of the insulter.

'I came across time for you, Sarah,' says Rees, the cyborg's pursuer. How romantic is that? He didn't come across a world, a solar system, a galaxy, he came across time.
 deepsoup 14 Dec 2016
In reply to toad:
> Never happen, I know.

Well, you're probably right but never say never.

There was a BBC radio adaptation of State of the Art btw. It pops up on Radio 4 Extra every now and then. Worth a listen possibly next time it comes around...
 Dr.S at work 14 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup
> Dredd! (*Not* the Sylvester Stallone one, obviously.)

> I don't think anyone's suggested that yet.

Good call - faithful adaption.
 wercat 14 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

I seem to remember a big R4 production of Asimov's Foundation trilogy long long ago on an ether far far away ...
 Dave Garnett 14 Dec 2016
In reply to cb294:

> That is interesting to hear, but isn´t State of the Art a collection of short stories?

The title story is about a visit to Earth by a Culture ship in the 1980s to retrieve a Culture citizen who has been living here as an unmodified human.

They love our television, especially Star Trek, although the Mind can't resist explaining why transportation is impossible and not all the same as displacement...

AshFX 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I quite enjoy watching Sci-Fi movies that are about parallel universes:

- Cloud Atlas

- Mr Nobody

Not so much for your interior design of spacecraft's though...

doug s 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
Dune, Bladerunner, Alien(s)
Fahrenheit 451 also a favourite
moffatross 14 Dec 2016
In reply to stp:

> The Martian is definitely good imo.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned 'Gravity' which is in a similar vein to the Martian, and it's pretty compelling (and scifi-realistic) in its own way.

> The Matrix trilogy?

But you can only watch them once if you don't want to end up hating them.

> Limitless is a sci-fi/thriller about smart drugs of the future.

Yep, I'd very much like to score some of those Ees.

> Minority Report is a really interesting film about using physics to see crimes before they happen. Sound a bit naff like that but really good film.

> District 9 is about a harmless Alien Space ship marooned in Johannesburg and also about racism.

Racism yes, and prawns too

> Edge of Tomorrow is a mind bender featuring the use of time travel.

The trouble with it is that (like all the humanity under threat from seemingly omnipotent conquering alien species movies), they meet their match on Earth. They've conquered entire galaxies but then they meet us and we're just so goddam' smart and resourceful that we send them all to hell.

Another nice time travel film is 'Safety not Guaranteed'. It's quirky, has some lovable characters, doesn't hinge on heroics and leaves you with a strange, warm feeling inside despite it being rather sad.

Anyway, nice thread There're a few films mentioned that passed me by and that I'm going to make an effort to watch.
 deepsoup 14 Dec 2016
In reply to moffatross:
> I'm surprised nobody's mentioned 'Gravity' which is in a similar vein to the Martian, and it's pretty compelling (and scifi-realistic) in its own way.

Funnily enough I just watched that this evening. It is compelling, and quite beautiful. And so realistic that I don't think it's really science fiction at all.

Have you seen the short companion film 'Aningaaq'? It's lovely, though rather sad. Only 7 minutes long.

Trying to avoid any spoilers - do you remember the scene where she makes contact over the radio with someone who doesn't speak any English? This is the other side of the conversation.

youtube.com/watch?v=jLR1yCvu498&

(Spoiler alert - if you plan to watch 'Gravity' and haven't yet, probably better to leave this until after. It's tacked onto the DVD as an extra.)
 nufkin 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> I have a secondary interest in that I'm looking at the interior designs of spacecraft/stations for a project I'm doing

It looks like no-one's suggested Akira yet, if you've not come across it before. Not spacey, but good for dystopian future sci-fi, and the design of Neo-Tokyo, its residents and their various machines is very good
moffatross 15 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks very much for that link, and no, I hadn't seen it, and wasn't even aware of it It's a magic little connection and I can well understand why it wasn't included in the cinema release. Actually, in retrospect, I think Gravity is one of the most first person POV films I've ever seen.
cb294 15 Dec 2016
In reply to toad:

Just read that one again a few weeks ago. IMO it is his best SciFi book, together with The Algebraist and Use of Weapons.

CB
cb294 15 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Get outta here, it was ace!

Ace? Even my kids could only roll their eyes at the pretentiousness of nice Arnie!

> *Poor* is the 3rd, 4th and 5th. Though the 5th did at least have the decency not to take itself too seriously.

The less mentioned about these the better?

> Did you ever see the TV series (the "Sarah Connor Chronicles")?

No, always assumed it would be complete rubbish. Might give it a try, though, when the kids come home over Christmas.

CB

Seen it twice, read the Wikipedia explanation twice and I still haven't got a clue.
Great film though, one of my favourite time travel films as you're discovering the concept with them, rather than there being a character whose job it is to explain the film's concept and rules of time travel.
 toad 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Byronius Maximus:
Upstream colour, if we've branched out into wtf weirdness
 1poundSOCKS 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> I'm looking for some recommendations for films over the Christmas period.

I really enjoyed Pacific Rim, but I'm not sure anybody else did. If that's a recommendation?
 stp 15 Dec 2016
In reply to moffatross:

> I'm surprised nobody's mentioned 'Gravity'

I was thinking of that. A great film which I was lucky enough to see at an IMAX cinema which just made it all the more special.

Not sure it's technically a scifi film though as all the technology already exists - there's nothing fictional about the science.
 BnB 15 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Not a film but if you can it might be worth looking at the Battlestar Galactica tv series. (The 2004-2009 one, not the cheesy 70s/80s one.) I think it's the only spaceship I've seen on film or TV that has actual plumbing. And bulkhead doors that swing open on hinges!

More to the point it's a superb political/military satire. By the third series (which blatantly subverts the US occupation of Iraq) it was the hardest hitting show on TV. Critics were going wild but few viewers heard the noise. Good to see you did!!
 spenser 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

FAQs about time travel is quite frankly hilarious. It's about a group of blokes in a pub who have a trippy evening, we genuinely thought we'd walked into the wrong screen/ made a horrible mistake going to watch it and then realised it was a fantastic film.
The Expanse on Netflix is excellent, has various different styles of spaceship and a good story.
I'm a strong fan of stargate, lots of different ship designs in that, it's very 90s but good fun most of the time, Destiny is set on a spaceship with the crew trying to figure out what everything does.
 Tom Last 15 Dec 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I really enjoyed Pacific Rim, but I'm not sure anybody else did. If that's a recommendation?

I was pleasantly surprised by that.
 Tom Last 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
Best Sci-Fi I've seen lately wasn't a film but the Neflix series The Expanse.
It reminded me of the worlds in the Asimov books Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun only with actual characters.
Great Earth/Mars/solar system based middle-future action sci-if, if that makes sense! Very watchable.
Post edited at 19:30
 Tom Last 15 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
Also the most recent series of Black Mirror - the last of which was just brilliant near future stuff, as we're come to expect of BM.
Post edited at 19:31
 BelleVedere 15 Dec 2016
In reply to stp:

> Minority Report is a really interesting film about using physics to see crimes before they happen. Sound a bit naff like that but really good film.

really underrated film i think - love/hate the scene with the eyes! I find it hard to like TomC but he's been in some great Sci-fi.

Has no-one mentioned 12 monkeys yet? I really like that film.
 1poundSOCKS 15 Dec 2016
In reply to BelleVedere:

> Has no-one mentioned 12 monkeys yet? I really like that film.

Totally forgot about it. Great film.
Bellie 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I've now got a really decent list to go through! I suppose I'm also missing the obvious ones like revisiting the Star Trek films too. Looking for details in the design rather than watching the films this time.

I used to watch the Next generation series and DS9 but at the time never really checked out the spacecraft.

RX-78 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I'd recommend lifeforce too, as a teenager I really like this movie.
 RX-78 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:
I'd recommend lifeforce too, as a teenager I really liked this movie.

Also liked battle beyond the stars (a certain James Cameron did the special effects)
Post edited at 15:27
 RX-78 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Oh, just to say for spaceship design look at Oban star racer, way out ideas, especially Ceres the last surviving Mong's ship.
 Ian65 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Check out the Astronaut. The whole films takes places in the 'space capsule' and is an intersting contrast to the Martian. In fact the whole film probably cost less than any one effect in The Martian.

Also, no one has mentioned The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original not the poor remake), an absolute classic in which you can see the cues for many scfi films to come.

12 Monkeys is another favourite of mine that has not yet had a shout.
moffatross 16 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Try Dark City for a bit of gothic and noiresque scifi. It has a great set, and it's all quite creepy in a weird dreamy way.
In reply to Bellie:

Anyone mentioned Ice Pirates yet? Good for a giggle.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/
 Rob Davies 17 Dec 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Agree about "Dark Star" - it's got the best low budget alien ever, a big beach-ball with a couple of claws attached.
 JFT 17 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Sci-fi is one of my favourite things and you've got quite the watch list from everyone so far! Throwing my 2 pence in; Coherence is an absolute beast
 Tom Last 17 Dec 2016
In reply to moffatross:

> Another nice time travel film is 'Safety not Guaranteed'. It's quirky, has some lovable characters, doesn't hinge on heroics and leaves you with a strange, warm feeling inside despite it being rather sad.

God I forgot about that, that really is a fantastic film. Absolutely darkly hilarious too. Loved it.
 David Alcock 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Just one more vote for Tarkovsky's Solaris. Stalker as well.
 Offwidth 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

A few more I didnt see in the replies.... Metropolis and Brazil both superb films of any genre and brilliant for design. Fifth Element is daft fun but weird and wonderful for design. 12 Monkeys meets both requirements pretty well.

Also search for sci fi interior design...its not just films.. lots of crazy people out there build sci fi film sets for their own life.
 Offwidth 18 Dec 2016
In reply to David Alcock:
A lesson for Hollywood. Writers, directors and imagination are more important than special effects.

That reminded me of a few others.. comedies ..Doctor Strangelove, The Man in the White Suit, Galaxy Quest.... quiet...Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Children of Men, Upstream Colour... more foreign language...Delicatessan, La Jettee, Troll Hunter, The Host, Battle Royale, The Ring, Nightwatch/ Daywatch.... and for a bit more anime Ghost in the Machine
Post edited at 10:33
 wercat 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Rob Davies:
Both it and Silent running show huge creativity. I loved the little touches of movement that gave the robot "helpers" character in Silent running.

would the rocket interior of Wallace and Grommit's Grand Day out count?
Post edited at 11:28
 David Alcock 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Ah yes, la Jettee. Haven't seen that for years. Good choice.
 deepsoup 18 Dec 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

If you want weird and wonderful, you can't leave 'Being John Malkovich' off the list. Doesn't get much more original than that.

Galaxy Quest is a good call for sci-fi btw, surprised that hasn't been suggested already. (er.. I think.)
 deepsoup 18 Dec 2016
In reply to wercat:
> I loved the little touches of movement that gave the robot "helpers" character in Silent running.

Almost incredibly, Huey Louie & Dewey had human actors inside. They must have been pretty athletic to say the least:
cinetropolis.net/unsung-heroes-silent-runnings-drones/
 Tom Valentine 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Tom Last:

Well if we're doing TV I will back Westworld up to the hilt
 freeflyer 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

As a tribute, and a very watchable film, there's Queen of Outer Space (1958):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052104/

Reviewed as "a creditable attempt to bring sex to the science-fiction genre" and mostly notable for the effortless, blatant and charming way that Zsa Zsa Gabor steals every scene she is in.
 Tom Valentine 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

No space craft here but:
The Adjustment Bureau
Predestination
Her
and for District 9 fans

Chappie
 deepsoup 20 Dec 2016

> The Adjustment Bureau
Excellent call. The OP expressed an interest in doors further up the thread.
Yet another film based on a Philip K Dick short story.

> Chappie
Is that good? The trailer put me off - it just looked like a gritty re-make of Short Circuit. Number 5 is alive!
 1poundSOCKS 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> and for a bit more anime Ghost in the Machine

Shell?
Removed User 20 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Chappie
> Is that good?

I quite enjoyed watching it on a flight - but then that does temporarily alter one's quality filter.
 Offwidth 20 Dec 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Yes, sorry. Its been a few years since I've seen it.
 1poundSOCKS 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Yes, sorry. Its been a few years since I've seen it.

I do love GitS, 1 and 2 and the Stand Alone Complex series. They're bringing out a version with actors and real stuff next year. Hope it's good!
 Offwidth 20 Dec 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I watched the spin-off series in a random order over a few years with a few gaps ... would be good to return one day and watch them in order.
 1poundSOCKS 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> I watched the spin-off series in a random order over a few years with a few gaps ... would be good to return one day and watch them in order.

Needs to be done. The laughing man story is the meat of series one and runs through it, with the odd stand alone episode (I think it was series one, it's been quite a few years now).
 Offwidth 20 Dec 2016
In reply to freeflyer:

That film is dire but watchable... really niche cult stuff. Ed Wood is an essential watch (and a genuinely good film) for fans of such movies and it might just about make this list. Sci Fi is about using fictional science to provide disrupted and so unusual stories beyond the remit of standard fiction.
 Tom Valentine 20 Dec 2016
In reply to deepsoup:
"Chappie" is a disappointment but the bad guys are really good, if you get my drift...

There are obviously links with the perfectly watchable "Elysium".

Unfortunately neither has a line as good as "Don't point that fooking tentacle at me...."
Post edited at 17:45
 stp 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Just watched The Signal with Laurence Fishburne. Thought this was a really interesting sci-fi with fantastic photography and a fine mystery that keeps you engaged all the way till the end.
 wercat 25 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

by the way, just to clarify, after seeing that there is some abominable animation with the same name, the Thunderbirds are Go film is the original 60s cinema production.
 bpmclimb 25 Dec 2016
In reply to all:

152 posts so far, any women?
 oldie 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Another vote for Dark Star definitely.
Also Blade Runner, Alien, 1st Star Wars film, Total Recall (Schwarzenegger one).
In reply to Bellie:

Star Wars!!!
 TheFasting 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Watch Arrival. Don't read about it just watch it.
bobeck 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

2 Top films in my opinion. Pitch Black and sequel Chronicles of Riddick
 HansStuttgart 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Avalon
 Michael Hood 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

Nobodys mentioned the original Westworld film, ahead of its time.

And for scary time stuff, watch the original weeping angels episode of Dr Who (Blink ?). Genuinely inventive and frightening in a program for kids!
 wercat 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I see Thunderbirds are GO is currently on Film 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...