Rannoch moor photo alternatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pietrach 12 Dec 2016
Hi
I am looking for photographic locations with lots of ponds and water together with standalone trees etc, with mountains in the background. My first thought is Rannoch Moor, but this is over 2h drive from my place, and I was thinking if there is something closer to Glasgow with similar visual benefits?

Thanks for any advice.
Regards
 Fraser 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Pietrach:
My immediate thought was Loch Ardinning between Milngavie and Strathblane, but I might be mis-remembering, so check a map or Google Earth first. And I'm not sure if you'd count the Campsies as "mountains".

Edit; scratch that idea, I've just checked and there's way too many trees for what you seem to be after.
Post edited at 12:20
OP Pietrach 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Thank you anyway Fraser
 Mark Bull 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

I can't think of anywhere closer to Glasgow that's like Rannoch Moor.
Glen Falloch (south of Crianlarich) has some photogenic solitary Scots pines, but no standing water.
 rallymania 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

anything in the trossachs or loch lomond that might fit?
 GrantM 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

Not really like Rannoch Moor, but there are some interesting looking trees at Firkin Point - there's one on the beach on its own with exposed roots. Or possibly Arrochar looking over Loch Long to the Cobbler, or the Rest & be Thankful in front of Beinn an Lochain & at Butterbridge. As mentioned above, there's a nice spot before Crianlarich with a few trees on a small hill that always looks photogenic with early morning mist around it and the Munros in the background.
 Toccata 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

Loads of places. Barcraigs up by Uplawmoor immediately sprang to mind but might lack the mountains. There's a few reservoirs on the Fairlie Moor road (and a lovely secret waterfall) that have some hills at least. Lots of water bodies on the Stinchar Bridge road to Glen Trool. And what about the Kilpatrick hills? Loads of water and hills!

God it's a lovely part of the world!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...