Planning Application

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 10 Dec 2016
Anyone here ever objected to a planning application?
We had an anonymous note put through the letter box drawing our attention to a planning application relating to a property about 150 - 200 yards from us. We are far from happy about the application which is for the change of use to multiple occupancy for "ex-offenders".
I was a bit miffed that whoever originated the note did not identify themselves. I don't know much about these things bu I would have thought that a joint co-ordinated effort might be more beneficial in which case the interested parties need to know who is "on-side".
Anyway, grateful for any advice how to proceed.
 Chris Harris 10 Dec 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Recent experience:

Planning application was put in. Local (Borough) council wrote to all people within a certain (small) range, detailing the application. (In your case, it seems someone wants to anonymously alert as many people as possible over a wider area.)

Village gossip, social media etc then kicked in to spread the word.

There should be something on your council website where you can register objections. Try to make it factual/dispassionate. If you can quote any legislation/guidelines, all the better. Try to get the Parish Council/equivalent on side. Look for procedural/documentation errors in the application.

This was the one near me:

https://planningon-line.rushcliffe.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDe...

Ended up with the best part of 60 objections & it got thrown out as the joke it clearly was.
Crackstone Rib 10 Dec 2016

Take a good look at the planning application on the council website, and all of the appendices. Things get buried in the appendix. Then if you still object, go through the council website first. If you really hate it follow it up with the local planning officer. They're busy people, but they will listen
 MG 10 Dec 2016

My experience is the council will take an entirely procedural, box ticking approach and not seriously engage at all. For example, the issue of increased traffic was raised so the applicant was required to do a traffic survey. They naturally did this at the quietest time of the day thus not determining if problems might occur at busy times. Planners were happy with this though as the box had been ticked. I suggest any effect will only result from group action.
 Simon4 10 Dec 2016

This is a reasonably good guide :

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.co.uk/p/how-to-object.html

You need to object on the allowed grounds, not what you think are the objectionable things about the application. Applications will almost always be online, including supporting documents these days. Download and look through them carefully.
Lusk 10 Dec 2016

What's your objection to the 'Ex-offenders' house?
There's one down the end of my street, there were grumblings about it when it opened, but in the 15 or 20 years it's been there, there hasn't been one negative incident that I've heard about.
 Timmd 10 Dec 2016
In reply to Lusk:
I was wondering the same.

Edit: It doesn't say why in the OP.
Post edited at 21:52
OP FesteringSore 10 Dec 2016
In reply to Lusk:
It is in very close proximity to a school and a local community facility treating elderly people for dementia and memory problems.

PS It is not really any concern of yours what my objections are - I was seeking advice
Post edited at 21:50
 Timmd 10 Dec 2016
> It is in very close proximity to a school and a local community facility treating elderly people for dementia and memory problems.

> PS It is not really any concern of yours what my objections are - I was seeking advice

With some posters having previous experience of the process, I'm thinking that it's possibly only by knowing what your objections are, that people can best advise you on whether you might have success in your objections being accepted?

If your objection is that it's mixing ex offenders with proximity to a school and a community for old people with dementia, saying so might be helpful.
Post edited at 22:01
 Timmd 10 Dec 2016
In reply to Lusk:
> What's your objection to the 'Ex-offenders' house?

> There's one down the end of my street, there were grumblings about it when it opened, but in the 15 or 20 years it's been there, there hasn't been one negative incident that I've heard about.

Apparently,due to struggling to find anybody who will give them a chance, business owners who have a policy of employing/not discriminating against ex offenders find them to be hard working and loyal employees, because they value the opportunity which is given to them to such a degree.
Post edited at 22:10
 wintertree 10 Dec 2016

I would search your local authority's "planning portal" online for similar applications in the past and play close attention to the ones that failed, especially the narratives given as to why they were rejected. Good guidance there as to what evidence can sway the decision.

It's always worth taking the time to look at the criteria applications are decided on. Demonstrating a bad match to those can be more powerful than objecting on personal grounds.

I would have thought you are close enough that the council should have written to you; there is normally a list of addresses to be informed filed as part of the info on the planning portal, check it and check how large it should be - although such a procedural objection would likely just slow the process and not sway the ultimate decision.
I objected once to an application to build a block of flats just across a narrow lane from our house. In the end it didn't get built but not because of our objection, a year or two later someone else got permission to put up a really horrible looking block of student housing which completely blocks our view. We'd have been better off with the first building.

The system is stacked against you. There are consultants that can help but they usually work on the other side of the fence. We talked to one recommended by our lawyer and he was honest enough to tell us we had no chance before we gave him any money. It doesn't matter why you actually object the game is to find things in the rules you can use as an argument. Then they will pay consultants to tell the council why you are wrong or make some minor adjustments.

Unless you have a totally killer argument in the end planning will give in and there will be a meeting at which the council will nod it through. I got the minutes of the one that approved the one we objected to under freedom of information and basically either nobody said much or it wasn't written down: totally useless. We discovered that the Chairman of the Residents Association for our flats had written a letter saying the residents association had no objection to the development we were trying to get stopped - he was a retired architect and pals with the architect that designed the new block. If there's letters getting written against expect the developers to call in favours and get letters in support to balance it.

Probably you need to get enough people and publicity that the local Councillor gets worried they might get kicked out at the next election if it goes forward at which point they might be bothered showing up and opening their mouth at the meeting or having a quiet word with the planning guys.
Post edited at 22:58
 Dax H 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Lusk:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say nimbyism.

In reply to Lusk:

Erm, increased risk of crime, unwanted associates, house price reduction, inability to sell.

I know ex offenders need a chance to reintegrate but not sure Id want one near my house.

NIMBY i admit.

Indy 11 Dec 2016
> change of use to multiple occupancy for "ex-offenders".

> grateful for any advice how to proceed.

Complain to the council making sure you mark your complaint with NIMBY. You'll get extra points if you live in Tunbridge Wells. If that doesn't work then move somewhere really really expensive so the riff raff can't afford to move in.
Post edited at 07:44
 AndyC 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

> Ended up with the best part of 60 objections & it got thrown out as the joke it clearly was.

Sadly, they'll be back - with more 'expert' input on the justification for cutting down the trees next time. Eventually, if all else fails, just cut down the trees anyway. They know the council can't afford to take it to the courts.

OP FesteringSore 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Dax H:
> I'm going to go out on a limb here and say nimbyism.

I am given to understand that the organisation involved allow consumption of "substances" and alcohol. This and the possibility of increased crime and misbehaviour and the inappropriate location(as I outlined earlier) is why I will be objecting. If this constitutes "NIMBYISM" then I am proud to be so.

We are ALL guilty of "NIMBYISM" at some time or other.

A few years ago a similar establishment was set up in the area in which I then lived. We were told that all the "residents" would be monitored so on and so forth and the scheme went ahead in the face of many objections.
There was an eerie silence from the scheme's proponents when some of the "residents" absconded and local the crime rate increased.
Post edited at 08:54
 Trangia 11 Dec 2016

> We are ALL guilty of "NIMBYISM" at some time or other.

Yes, I don't think I've ever heard of local residents writing to their planning department in support of an application for a travellers site in the field behind them............
 markAut 11 Dec 2016

We had an application for a permanent traveller camp near my house. There were many many objections, but it was passed anyway. The objection must be based on valid planning grounds. Anything else may even dilute your case.
Best bet, if you really don't want it to go ahead, find some bats or newts. Planners are scared of them.
 john spence 11 Dec 2016
I objected last year to a proposal for nine "executive homes," £1,000,000 upwards, on a nearby golf course. A quick search on property websites showed 124 homes over £800,000 but only 3 under £280,000 ( which is classed as affordable in this area of Essex ) The application was refused but has now gone to appeal, the developer will continue to appeal until permission is granted, he has a track record for this. If you register and appeal online you will get regular updates. You must research grounds for appeal.
 JJL 11 Dec 2016

I'm calling troll

200 yards away for flats for ex-offenders?

Your NIMBY is showing badly
 Pbob 11 Dec 2016

Had you thought about requesting conditions rather than a blanket objection? You could request limits on the types of ex-offenders based on the local concerns? Or request improvements to street lighting? You might find more sucess if you are seen to be tackling the issues in a constructive way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...