Local shop premium

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 08 Dec 2016
After reading a few comments under a news story about a 100 ish year old bike shop closing I'm wondering what, if anything, people are willing to pay as a premium for their bike/climbing gear to keep the local shops open. Acknowledging that it costs more to run a small shop compared to something like Wiggle.

Personally if it's something that is size/fit dependent eg clothing I'm ok paying a 10-15% on items up to £100 in a good local shop. But then in some cases the differences are 30+%

I guess I'm saying; how much in £££ do you value your local bike/climbing shop?
 timjones 08 Dec 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> After reading a few comments under a news story about a 100 ish year old bike shop closing I'm wondering what, if anything, people are willing to pay as a premium for their bike/climbing gear to keep the local shops open. Acknowledging that it costs more to run a small shop compared to something like Wiggle.

> Personally if it's something that is size/fit dependent eg clothing I'm ok paying a 10-15% on items up to £100 in a good local shop. But then in some cases the differences are 30+%

> I guess I'm saying; how much in £££ do you value your local bike/climbing shop?

It's at least a 40 minute drive for a limited product range at the closest shop. The sad fact is that almost all of my climbing gear is purchased online for the convenience as much as any cost saving
 Dave 88 08 Dec 2016

I try as much as possible to disregard cost to support independant shops for all goods.

I see it as a saving for the future. How cheap do you think these big chains are going to remain once they become the only option?

My brother tried to go a full year without shopping at supermarkets or chains, and one thing he did note is that in general, independant shops opening hours were simply not compatible with customers that work 9-5.

Having said all that, when Go Outdoors are offering 50% off all climbing stuff....well I'm only human.

As Tim says it's as much about convenience as price. I normally know exactly what I want and I order online in two minutes and have it at my desk next day rather than the hour it'll take in driving, parking looking for what I want etc etc.

I ride alot and own 4 different road bikes and I buy way too much kit and I reckon I've physically been in a bike shop about 5 times in the past 8 years!

As for climbing gear most of the good independents also have good websites and evolved a bit quicker than a lot of independent bike shops when the internet started to properly affect retail sales.
 mp3ferret 08 Dec 2016

I value my local shops a lot - but I don't want to have to pay for it - even though I understand the reasons behind the price differences.
In reply to timjones:

> The sad fact is that almost all of my climbing gear is purchased online for the convenience as much as any cost saving

I think that perhaps for a lot of small businesses, the internet is the key. Let's face it, it is perhaps the biggest change for mankind since electricity and it's only going to become more prevalent.

Adapt or die (harsh but true I'm afraid).
 johncook 08 Dec 2016

When you 'local' climbing shop charges 20% more for an item, and when it fails, tells you they sent it to the manufacturer, when it stayed in the shop, and the manf reputedly said 'normal wear and tear, internet trading starts to be more interesting. In the case mentioned, a 'replacement' item was offered at a 'massive' discount which made it the same price as on-line! Said retailer has a reputation for this!
 Indy 08 Dec 2016
> Acknowledging that it costs more to run a small shop compared to something like Wiggle.

> Personally if it's something that is size/fit dependent eg clothing I'm ok paying a 10-15% on items up to £100 in a good local shop. But then in some cases the differences are 30+%

Does it cost more to run a Wiggle than a small shop? Also I think your being too simplistic regarding paying a premium.
 Dax H 08 Dec 2016

Wherever possible I shop local. I like to build a relationship with the shop and invariably when things go wrong they look after you.
I am the guy who knows the names of all the shop staff and they know mine, we have a bit of banter and being a regular customer and a known face I usually get a small discount applied without having to ask for it. Not as cheap as buying online but a nice token.

A case in point is my motorbike jacket, £600 worth of gortex warmness that split a zip. Shop sent it back and got a replacement and when I went to pick it up the shop manager commented on how much weight I have lost and asked me if I wanted to swap the new replacement for a smaller size that would fit better.

A kayak shop sent photos of my broken kayak to the manufacturer who agreed it was a fault and replaced it, I tried to blag the new model but they wouldn't have it so the shop ordered in the new model and gave me that and kept my new old model to sell off.

I have similar stories with bike shops and climbing shops and computer shops.

Most of my mates think I am mad when they buy cheaper online then they curse all the hassle when things go wrong.
OP gethin_allen 09 Dec 2016
In reply to Indy:

> Does it cost more to run a Wiggle than a small shop? Also I think your being too simplistic regarding paying a premium.

Other way around, wiggle have massive buying power etc.

Go on, where have I over simplified the situation of being willing to pay a premium in in attempt to keep a local shop viable?
 IMA 09 Dec 2016

Like anything it depends on the saving and hassle. Most people have limited disposable income and so have to watch how and where they spend.

I try to use both. So my LBS gets my custom for small items, bar tape etc. However medium size purchases they often can't compete. Take a cassette £40 on wiggle but from the LBS including my mate/local club discount it is still £60, as I don't need them to fit it I buy it online.

However I use them for my maintenance, cash rich time poor (I have other stuff I'd prefer to do with my time) and they charge me fairly even if I could do it myself. Sometimes it is free, sometimes it is not. But the relationship I have built with them and the bag of donuts or small crate of beer I give them every so often helps. Further to that I'll pop in just to say hi and have an idle chat.

They get why I don't buy everything from them but appreciate that I'll ask and use them when I see it as affordable.

Regarding local shops such as butchers, love to use them when possible, however given the 9-5 hours I can't get there.

In summary, there is a price point where online discount wins because it is enough money in one lump sum to spend on something else.
 icnoble 09 Dec 2016

Most climbing shops these days have an internet site so I tend to buy online
 Neil Williams 09 Dec 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

> I think that perhaps for a lot of small businesses, the internet is the key. Let's face it, it is perhaps the biggest change for mankind since electricity and it's only going to become more prevalent.
>
> Adapt or die (harsh but true I'm afraid).

Well, quite - a small shop can have global reach via the Internet if it does things right. It's the biggest opportunity that small business has ever seen - but also the biggest threat if they don't play it right.
 Neil Williams 09 Dec 2016
In reply to IMA:
> Regarding local shops such as butchers, love to use them when possible, however given the 9-5 hours I can't get there.

At the moment I could, as I'm working from home (if there were any - being a newish place MK doesn't have many, so I'd have to negate the point by driving further for them), but when I'm not there's no chance. I have wondered why some traditional British local shops don't open something like 1pm-9pm a couple of days a week to allow for that kind of business. Asian-owned businesses seem to be happy to do this, but British-owned ones not. It does seem they are stuck in the past when the wife was at home and able to spend the daytime shopping. Those days have gone - and business has to adapt.

I've also sometimes wondered if there'd be any business in the idea of a local shop version of Deliveroo or similar - form agreements with local butchers, bakers etc and allow online ordering and delivery.
Post edited at 16:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...