GROUP TEST: 35-45 Litre Packs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 05 Dec 2016
packs group test montage, 4 kbFor all-round climbing, mountaineering and hillwalking, 35-45 litres is a versatile size of pack. From alpine and winter-oriented models to simple cragging sacks, we've tested 12 of the best over the past six months.

Read more
 Jim 1003 05 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Surprised to see Decathlon rucksacks not tested. I bought their technical Quecha 55l litre sac in the summer, which cost about £50, and it's been the best sack I've owned so far.
Can't see how these other makes justify more than double the cost.
 barbeg 05 Dec 2016

No Force Ten sac in the review? I know you can't test everything but that's a serious ommission in my opinion....
Barbeg
tri-nitro-tuolumne 05 Dec 2016

Great review, but I would have liked to have seen a pack from Aiguille Alpine (another UK manufacturer)
 Andy Hardy 05 Dec 2016

12 sacks tested, 5 "highly reccomended" 2 "good vlaue" hmmm, I know you can't afford to upset your sponsors but come on, at least have a table rating the different features out of 10 or something, otherwise it's just 12 short adverts one after another.
 zimpara 05 Dec 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:
It is pay to play baby. I think it is a good review.
Post edited at 12:27
 tjin 05 Dec 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

I got a SIMOND JORASSES 40 from decathlon. Suprisingly good. It replaced my much more expensive Lowe Alpine, which had some issues with tearing...

I also find the side zip super usefull and the axe holder is far easier to use.
 hairyRob 05 Dec 2016
In reply to tri-nitro-tuolumne:

Very true - the Aiguille Geant is the best bag i've ever had.
 Rich W Parker 06 Dec 2016

I'd like to see manufacturers make more zip packs. I had a client yesterday grumbling about the number of buckles and drawcords he had to fiddle with to get into his sack. I agreed with him.
 barbeg 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Force 10 Alpine Packs....not reviewed in this article....

Barbeg
 planetmarshall 06 Dec 2016

Why haven't you reviewed ALL THE SACKS!

Rich W Parker 06 Dec 2016
In reply to barbeg:

Exactly, tried one a while back, quite liked it, will probably get one.
 kwoods 06 Dec 2016

Interesting to read the comments about the Berghaus Arete. I've managed to completely rip out the load lifting shoulder strap (it had a rope, rack etc in at the time), the waist buckle was destroyed by general heavy wear (now replaced by my old heavy-duty one), the opening drawcord toggle is half-broken and there are a couple holes developing in the bottom of the bag. I'm still wearing it down to the last! Sure, it's seen use on many/most days of the week for a couple of years, but it's also a fine example of a rucksack built to be light but with a notable lack of resilience. By contrast, my last rucksack lasted ten years...
 Michael Hood 07 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear: As per other comments, I would also like to see value sacks like those from Decathlon tested.

If they've not as good then you can say what the extra expense of the premium sacks provides and if they are as good then we know where the extra money goes

Timmd 07 Dec 2016

> I'd like to see manufacturers make more zip packs. I had a client yesterday grumbling about the number of buckles and drawcords he had to fiddle with to get into his sack. I agreed with him.

I'm always wondering what would happen in the event of a zip developing a fault. You can bodge-together a broken buckle relatively easily if you go prepared.
 BnB 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

> As per other comments, I would also like to see value sacks like those from Decathlon tested.

> If they've not as good then you can say what the extra expense of the premium sacks provides and if they are as good then we know where the extra money goes

Isn't that akin to asking UKC to shoot itself in the (advertising revenue) foot?
 BnB 07 Dec 2016

It's a pity that last year's "hot" pack, the Patagonia Ascensionist, isn't included. It's main rival, the Arcteryx FL gets a going over. I was interested that the reviewer siezed upon the reasons I rejected it in favour of the Ascensionist: carrying comfort and the sweat-inducing fabric. Well spotted and a thorough review.
 galpinos 07 Dec 2016
In reply to BnB:
You're just soooo last year BnB........

I have the old version of the Mutant. The first one I got I destroyed in a weekend* so hopefully the new version is a more burly.......

*having skis down the side I managed to put multiple large holes in it from rubbing and I pulled two of the four compression straps off. The replacement hasn't been used for ski touring........
Post edited at 14:57
 snoop6060 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

They don't review decathlon stuff as they don't pay to advertise here.

In any case , even if decathlon did pay to advertise the 'review' would just tell you the products are really good and you should buy them, so utterly pointless.

wercat 07 Dec 2016
In reply to tri-nitro-tuolumne:

Aguille are fantastic and you get a lot of litre per specified litre as well as durability "out there beyond" the norms.

I now claim my Aiguille dislike! perhaps someone who thinks Lake District made sacs are beneath his contempt
 barbeg 08 Dec 2016

Hi Rich,

I bought the 45l and liked it so much I now have a 25l & 35 that I use for all my professional work. So simple and quick to use the zips.

Barbeg
 Tricadam 20 Dec 2016
In reply to BnB:

> It's a pity that last year's "hot" pack, the Patagonia Ascensionist, isn't included. It's main rival, the Arcteryx FL gets a going over. I was interested that the reviewer siezed upon the reasons I rejected it in favour of the Ascensionist: carrying comfort and the sweat-inducing fabric. Well spotted and a thorough review.

Ditto. I went for the Ascensionist 35 too last winter (for Scottish climbing) and have been so impressed by it that I've bought the 25 and 45 versions too, both of which have also majorly impressed! Remarkable that such a light bag (the 35) is such a comfortable carry, even when loaded for an overnight. Of course, there are things about it that other bags do better, but as the total package I'm not seeing a serious competitor.
 GarethSL 20 Dec 2016
Can anyone offer any good feedback on the the Crux packs?

Looking at the Crux 3G AK37 RT (not in the review) for an all round waterproof sack. I have an Alpha FL 30 that is purely for ice, but looking for something bomber, with good weatherproofing.
Post edited at 17:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...