Alpkit Katabatic Primaloft Jacket - Thoughts ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DayWalker123 03 Dec 2016
I'm after a new insulated hooded jacket and seen this one from Alpkit:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/katabatic-mens

Anyone have one or have any thoughts about it ? Seems to have great specs for the price.

Ideally after a dark colour so I can wear it for any occasions (work, play etc)

I know ME Fitzroy is renowned as one Of the better jackets but they don't come in dark or black colours anymore, there are few older season blacks around but are £200.

The other alternative is Rab Photon X which comes in black

Thanks.
 neuromancer 03 Dec 2016
In reply to DayWalker123:

It isnt the same type of jacket. The katabatic is a polartec alpha competitor.
 JayPee630 03 Dec 2016

It's not that cheap either!
 TobyA 03 Dec 2016

Like neuromancer said, this seems to be one of the new brand of "breathable" synth insulated jackets which you are meant to be able to wear for "active" use - i.e. walk around in it without getting too hot and sweaty. I'm actually reviewing for UKC currently the Marmot Astrum https://marmot.com/products/details/astrum-jacket which I guess is similar in concept and I think they are all following the success of the Patagonia nano-air, although Polartec Alpha jackets have been around for a big longer than that but without the glowing reviews.

You don't really say what you want it for, but I guess it would be different from a lightish belay style jacket like the Fitzroy if that is what you want.
DayWalker123 03 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks all

I Didn't notice it was primaloft "active".

Jacket will be used for daily wear, walks, watching kids play football etc. I will not be climbing any mountains

The Fitzroy sounds great but it's £200 for the black one where as the brighter colours are little cheaper.

is the rab photon x a good jacket to go for ?
 thlcr1 03 Dec 2016
The Photon X is pretty similar in spec to the Fitzroy and much the same price. You need to try some on and see what fits best. For example I used to love the old rab generators, but the newer xenon seems to be a very tight fit on me so pretty useless as a belay jacket. Ive got a Fitzroy now seems a good fit for me. Works thrown over a t-shirt or over a fleece a Rabi generator and a Shell all at the same time. Think I tried a Photon X on a few years ago and if I recall was similar in fit to the Fitzroy. If you want it just for casual use decide what you be wearing and try it over that.

Lee

ShortLock 04 Dec 2016

Have a look at the Haglofs Barrier III, just got one for winter belaying as a cheaper alternative to the Fitzroy and I'm loving it so far. Light, warm though quite bulky. Sized to go over a fleece tops,so I've gone up a size. The hood's not comfortably helmet compatible unfortunately.

Oh, and available in nice drab colours. To be found for about £110 if you search.
 Billhook 04 Dec 2016

Its not a very macho name is it?
 Mal Grey 04 Dec 2016

I've had one for about a fortnight now, spent much of this weekend in it. So far, properly impressed. As somebody says, not dissimilar in concept to the Nano air.

I bought it because I open canoe a lot and down just doesn't go well with water (I have several down tops), when I'm floating about taking pictures or whatever. The 60g of Primaloft gold seems pretty warm for the weight, but not so warm you can't be fairly active in it without overheating. The fit is good on my medium, its quite long, and the cut means its both snug for warmth and allows good freedom of movement (for reference, I'm a typical medium, 5' 10", 38" chest, average ape index). In common with all synthetic filled tops I've tried, it doesn't feel quite as breathable as a down jacket, there's just a hint of sweatiness if you start to get hot. I think it would make a good belay jacket unless its seriously cold, but that's not what I'll use it for. Zip isn't two way.

Hood is fine, won't get used much. Has no adjustment. Pockets good for handwarming, maybe a little low cut for use with a harness, but its more likely to be chucked over it I guess. Fabric soft and quiet, which is something I like for nature watching, silent paddling etc.

Nice and light, and not much bulkier than a heavy-ish softshell. I intended to use it for activities where I won't be working too hard - photographic wanders, gentle canoe paddles etc, and as a layer for lunch stops etc, but I like the cut and feel so much it may get worn more than that. It won't replace my bigger Alpkit down jacket for sitting around winter campfires, but its likely to make the thinner Filoment obsolete in some ways.

I went for the forest green, which is a good dark green. Feels built to last.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...