Dog Harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nbrain 22 Nov 2016
I know there is lots of people on here who take their dogs scrambling. Do most of you use a harness for your dog? If so which one?
I have tried the Ruffwear webmaster harness but our Pointer is quite long and thin and it doesn't seem to support her back end very well. Anyone know of any good alternatives?
 Tall Clare 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Nbrain:

Our pointer wears a Ruffwear webmaster and it seems to work pretty well - we only ever use the handle on it to get her over stiles and she's usually helping (or not!) We like it because it keeps her chest up - her back end is less of an issue as the chest end is the business end. I'd be thinking about a sling arrangement in conjunction with the Webmaster if we wanted to haul her any distance. She'd have her own opinions about that...

Where are you based? If you find yourself in Keswick, go into Podgy Paws (next to Booths supermarket) - they have loads of harnesses and are really helpful about trying different ones on your dog. We have a Finnish brand of very lightweight harness (Hurtta) as her running harness, and some Ezydog gear too (I think their range is pretty good).
 Tall Clare 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Nbrain:

Also, on reflection, if I needed to haul my dog more than a Webmaster could cope with, I'd be thinking it might not be the most suitable terrain - especially knowing how generally springy and versatile pointers tend to be... (that's not intended as a judgement, btw, more my thoughts about my own dog).
OP Nbrain 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thanks Clare. might just have to give the webmaster a go and see! as you say then tend to look after themselves pretty well its just good to have the option if push came to shove!
 Tall Clare 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Nbrain:

Lotta hates being hauled and we've only had to do it a few times - she usually finds her own way round (I think she's part mountain goat). We tried a few different sizes on her and she ended up with one that was smaller than we'd originally thought she needed - it's snug round her chest but doesn't rub on her armpits. I think they're a great product - and I always like seeing tiny dogs in the scaled-down versions, complete with the same haul-handle!
 GazW84 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Nbrain:

Have a look at www.julius-k9.co.uk They do a range of robust harnesses of various designs and sizes. My German Shepherd has had one for 7 years and it's still going strong, they are very well made and have a few decent features too.
OP Nbrain 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Nbrain:

This seems to be another good option...

http://www.sar-products.com/product/dog-harness/

cant see any reviews online though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...