New themes for film blocks at Kendal Mountain Festival

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 17 Nov 2016
Am I the only one unconvinced by these new themes for the film blocks: Chance, Change, Courage, Curiosity, Fear, Fight, Flow, Frontier, Joy, Space, Truth and Vision. We are told:

"We beleive that the best adventure films shout way beyond their genre and grab the hearts of anyone from any tribe. Watching films just about rocks, just about snow or just about the sky misses the way adventures from different planes share the same values challenges and emotions.

So this year we have tied films together by their sentiment and perspective and the questions they ask or answer, rather than the genre they are based in. In each session one film links to the next, so your experience should build rather than repeat we are really excited about this new approach. It's an adventure in itself"

Which is all well and good if the themes are strong enough to transcend the tribal loyalties (I'll judge when Ive seen a few sets but from the films I have seen on Reel Rock or elsewhere some of these themes already looks a bit forced) and its all a 'bit' patronising and simplistic (tastes and experiences differ and the best films at Kendal work on many of these themes) and frankly just that bit more tricky to find the things we might like most.

Moff and I normally prefer to watch climbing, mountaining and mountain environment films in our festival viewing yet have enjoyed films from across genres, but crucially ones that we chose to watch. We will be struggling to schedule under this new shuffled programming. Ironically one of the reasons we enjoy watching films at Kendal is our freedom to choose and move, one main motivator for seeing most of our films on the Friday (moving around at the weekend has never been easy at Kendal given the distance between some venues and how busy things can get at peak times for our tribal films)
 beh 17 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Have to agree, made worse by the descriptions for each "theme" being fairly meaningless. I've not been for a few years but the way they used to categorise films worked fine.
 TobyA 17 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
Over the years I've come to presume Moff is your wife or partner, but as she(?) is something of an off stage character - oft referred to but never seen - I'm not really sure. The fact that Moff now appears to be your film watching partner, along with your climbing partner makes me think my presumption is likely, but who am I to presume what anyone's film-going habits might be? It could be a cuddly toy, a pet dog etc - although I'm sure you've mentioned being belayed by Moff so in retrospect, those options seem unlikely.

Anyway, have fun in Kendal. I look forward to reading about what people thought next week.
OP Offwidth 18 Nov 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Yes she is my wife and main climbing partner. Its quite cute you are a little naive with who's who in UK climbing ... she is a good deal more influential than me. The opinions I express here are mine even if we have similar film tastes.

Back on subject, films are a staple of the festival and I think having talked to a few festival goers, I need to be clearer that I do think a bit of experimentation and change is a good thing. We will have to wait and see what others think of things overall but if there is a perceived problem, as I see it, it will be the festival as a whole won't have sensibly managed the good intentions.

On the plus side, for those on a budget, the wider range of venues has been retained so people should be able to get in somewhere and see what block they want and the free talks stuff has never looked better in the Basecamp (from Bonnington to Megos). Just a shame the camping is a bit damp.

On a personal taste issue Thornbridge beer is here again.
 tingle 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

i agree although i have never been before. I sat down to plan what films i want to watch by looking at some trailers just to find pretty much nothing information wise. Also im sure there is a reason for this but the premiers for blockheads and mirrorwall are at extra cost and only available Friday? The inflated Saturday ticket seems now a bad choice.
In reply to Offwidth: Oh dear. It sounds like utter bollocks to me and another good reason for staying away, alongside the Himalayan clothing, the overcrowding that will probably be worse than ever this year, ubiquitous high fiving and the sheer difficulty of shoplifting from the stands. It used to be so easy to come away with armfuls of stolen goods and a belly full of whisky.

Exile 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Good to try something new though and if it doesn't work they can go for something else next year.
 TobyA 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Yes she is my wife and main climbing partner. Its quite cute you are a little naive with who's who in UK climbing ... she is a good deal more influential than me.

So you're the power behind the power behind the throne? I must say I've never really thought that much about "who is who in UK climbing", perhaps I should put my old political science hat back on and start investigating!

Have fun at Kendal.
In reply to TobyA:

> So you're the power behind the power behind the throne? I must say I've never really thought that much about "who is who in UK climbing", perhaps I should put my old political science hat back on and start investigating!

> Have fun at Kendal.

Fawcett and Livesey, Ben and Jerry, Moff and Offwidth, Joe and Don.
It's a litany of climbing royalty
OP Offwidth 19 Nov 2016
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

I guess she is more important to me than any of those lovely folk even if, with all this hubris we are guilty of, we can't get close enough to kiss anymore.

Back to reality.. two of the festival stars, Pete and Cedar, have just finished a plank challenge with one leg and one arm in the air for several minutes whilst inadvertantly getting covered in coconut milk.... unexpected, impressive, hilarious and free.
In reply to Offwidth:

> I guess she is more important to me than any of those lovely folk even if, with all this hubris we are guilty of, we can't get close enough to kiss anymore.

Take a second *like*
 Mick Ward 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

And take a third *like*, err... or should that be a second second *like*?

Mick (cerebrally challenged, as ever)
 Dauphin 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Chance, Change, Courage, Curiosity, Fear, Fight, Flow, Frontier, Joy, Space, Truth and Vision

Artfully contrived Brand P.R. would of covered most of it. Twee prententious art project in search of a story the rest.

Blocheads and the MTB film were standouts. Did five sessions on Saturday, none of the quality of 2015.

D
 James_Kendal 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
I liked the fact this year's film packages were shorter, which in theory gives you more choice and more breaks without reducing the amount of film.

The new categories however seemed as good as random to me, and made it very hard to see all the films I wanted. I would like to see the old categories back next year. They weren't all specific to one sport anyway, all sorts of things made it into the adventure / expeditions / adrenaline type categories.

I also think Thursday evening should have shown the main packages instead of the "early bird" ones.

I thought the standard of films was as high as usual, but there seemed to be more films which weren't to do with mountains than usual.

The highlight for me was Pete Whittaker's talk, what a legend!
Post edited at 00:18
 planetmarshall 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

> Twee prententious art project in search of a story the rest.

Can something be both twee and pretentious? I think you're just being mean for the sake of it.
 Dauphin 21 Nov 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

Sentimental and made up. Unknown phenomenon across the creative world I would imagine. Or almost every Hollywood production ever?

D

OP Offwidth 21 Nov 2016
In reply to James_Kendal:

I agree the shorter packages worked well and I'd like them continued but it made scheduling tight... we had the end of a session clipped after a session was delayed. Early Bird D was probably the theme that matched my experience of a set the best... it was a bit too early for me (I missed a recommeded Kendal skateboard film) and there was plenty of breathtakingly dizzying bird's eye footage and The Studio seats remain D rated for comfort. Some voices strongly defended the new themes but they mainly seemed like adventure tourists... rich middle class middle aged types. Making life harder for the dedicated tribes to see the films they will like most I'm guessing will also hit the filmmakers... building a vibe from the festival is important for film success and the ability to fund future projects.

I really enjoyed the crop of BMC films this year, all presumably will be on BMC TV in some form at some point (except my brain foolishly overruled my stomach in the subject of cocktails on a Sunday morning). Niall showing Caff how to find the end of a rope is pure class. Finally a big up for the exhibitors and festival workers for all their hard work (its about time a single slide of Kendal volunteer names was put up to give a sense of the scale .. Hollywood manages to get a grip and mention those gaffers and best boys and not just the directors and producers)...
 Mick Ward 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Niall showing Caff how to find the end of a rope is pure class.

We believe you! God bless the Irish.

> Finally a big up for the exhibitors and festival workers for all their hard work (its about time a single slide of Kendal volunteer names was put up to give a sense of the scale .. Hollywood manages to get a grip and mention those gaffers and best boys and not just the directors and producers)...

A lovely idea - would help to thank people and also give a sense of the scale of things.

Mick

Pete Atkinson 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
I was there on Saturday and found the way things were arranged a little odd. I managed to spot a few films I wanted to see but ended up spending 4 hrs to watch 1/2 hr of films I was interested in. In the end I gave up and left. I have been going to the Kendal festival for quite a few years and this year was very disappointing. I will have to try to catch the best of films when they come round to see what I wanted.

Not sure I will bother again if they continue this format
Post edited at 11:49
 LGraham 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Atkinson:

I've not been to KMF before, and having seen how the films were grouped, I decided to go to the 'Best of' evening at Rheged instead. It really wasn't what I was expecting.

There were two surfing films (one was probably my second favourite), a film about photographing base jumping (probably the best of the lot), a film of time-lapses of tornadoes, a short poem about mountaineering, a film about cycling in Rwanda, and a film about wild swimming. After the intermission there was a very depressing 90 minute documentary about life in Nepal and a last-minute addition of a fell running film to lighten the mood. Looking at the programme (which wasn't available until on the day) of 144 minutes of film, only 12 minutes were related to mountains and only the 4 minute poem was about climbing.

I know it isn't meant to be all about climbing, but the balance seemed very off to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...