Snowdonia Winter Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ruaidh 04 Nov 2016
Forecast looking wintery... Any news from the hill?
 leon 1 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:
f.f.s. !
Post edited at 08:45
 timjones 04 Nov 2016
In reply to leon 1:

> f.f.s. !

Fantastically fluffy snow?

nigel n 04 Nov 2016
In reply to leon 1:

my sentiments exactly
 ianstevens 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

Are you joking?
 WJV0912 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

Give him a break guys, he clearly just wants to be this years author of the Snowdonia Winter Conditions thread.
 ianstevens 04 Nov 2016
In reply to WJV0912:

veto
 jezb1 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

It's raining.
 spartacus 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

Above 500 meters consolidated areas of Brexit.
 Wingnut 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

Is the Idwal Stream in nick yet?

:
 smuffy 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

Congratulations
 richprideaux 04 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

A smattering of snow on Snowdon...
In reply to ruaidh:
Lots and lots of thunder.
And lightning - in all sorts of pretty colours and patterns.
Very localised and low altitude though.
And a strange smell of burnt sulphur.
Post edited at 19:46
OP ruaidh 05 Nov 2016
In reply to richprideaux:

Thanks for the constructive response, rich.

We usually get a cold snap towards the end of November. This year feels a little different and the sub zero forecast has come early.

I understand (and share) people's sensitivity towards swinging tools at mushy turf, but I'm just planning a walk right now and I suspect its going to be crampons above 800m next weekend.
 richprideaux 05 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

It's colder than it has been recently, and the rain last night felt quite wintery at times, but not much to be seen today. Freezing level below the summits and snow forecast for Monday, so you may be right.
 petenebo 06 Nov 2016
In reply to leon 1:

Careful now! I can remember 2 or3 years in the late 80s when Clogwyn Ddu was in great nick in October.
 leon 1 06 Nov 2016
In reply to petenebo: Perhaps the difference is that it was actually cold and snowy then and not just a damp mossy green colour ?

But please can we all stop bumping this thread so that one can be started when it is actually appropriate

timjones 06 Nov 2016
In reply to leon 1:

> Perhaps the difference is that it was actually cold and snowy then and not just a damp mossy green colour ?

> But please can we all stop bumping this thread so that one can be started when it is actually appropriate

It's started and it's not going to stop just because you say so

It has to be acknowledged that the weather has taken a wintery turn over the last 24 hours.
 leon 1 06 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:
When Donald Trump makes me his ambassador to the UKC the Snowdonia Conditions report will do as I say and stop until appropriate, or I will decree that a roof should be built to keep the snow out!!!!
Post edited at 11:14
 timjones 06 Nov 2016
In reply to leon 1:

> When Donald Trump makes me his ambassador to the UKC the Snowdonia Conditions report will do as I say and stop until appropriate, or I will decree that a roof should be built to keep the snow out!!!!

Good luck with that wishful thought
 petenebo 06 Nov 2016
In reply to leon 1:

My abject apologies. i can't see from here.

Bump...ooops!
 ianstevens 06 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:

It's got a bit chilly and it looks like someone spilt a bag of sugar at the summit. That's not winter conditions worthy chat.
 timjones 06 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> It's got a bit chilly and it looks like someone spilt a bag of sugar at the summit. That's not winter conditions worthy chat.

Conditions threads don't work if people only post when conditions are good.
 Pay Attention 06 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:

History suggests - The first rule of Conditions Thread is : you don't talk about Conditions.
 ianstevens 06 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:

But they do need some semblence of conditions. It's a bit damp and snowed for 10 minutes is hardly shocking for November.
 timjones 06 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> But they do need some semblence of conditions. It's a bit damp and snowed for 10 minutes is hardly shocking for November.

We may both know that the chances of good conditions are slim, but where's the harm in simple, non-offensive thread to inform those that haven't had the opportunity to gain enough experience to gauge conditions from afar?
ROSP 06 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:

My thoughts exactly!
 timjones 06 Nov 2016
In reply to Pay Attention:

> History suggests - The first rule of Conditions Thread is : you don't talk about Conditions.

I believe it is acceptable if there is a G in month!
In reply to timjones:

> I believe it is acceptable if there is a G in month!

Which, since this is a Welsh conditions thread, makes it OK in December (Rhagfyr) and July (Gorfennaf)

timjones 07 Nov 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Which, since this is a Welsh conditions thread, makes it OK in December (Rhagfyr) and July (Gorfennaf)

Only if you post in Welsh

ianstevens 07 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:

If you can't gauge that a few millimetres of snow is winter conditions, maybe you should learn more about winter and the point of the techniques used during it rather than reading a UKC post.
 timjones 07 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> If you can't gauge that a few millimetres of snow is winter conditions, maybe you should learn more about winter and the point of the techniques used during it rather than reading a UKC post.

And how do you know that there is a few mm if you live in Essex?
 ianstevens 07 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:
Use your brain and realise that it's early November and we don't get snow dumps then in Snowdonia. When it is worth sharing conditions information then that is what I, and I'm sure many others, shall do. As a side note, I actually think it's a bit rude to be asking for other people's take on conditions. They've gambled on going out and maybe just going for a miserable walk. If they want to pass on what they found (again, I'm happy to do this) then great, if not then so be it. I don't think its ok for people who can't be arsed/don't want to/"don't have the time" (if you have time to go winter climbing, you have time to walk around a slush covered hill) to go out and suffer expect an alert to decamp from the south-east when conditions actually come in.

Or you could always move house to somewhere hillier than Essex.
Post edited at 11:38
 timjones 07 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Use your brain and realise that it's early November and we don't get snow dumps then in Snowdonia.

> Or move house.

Don't we get snow dumps in early November?

You're either young or you have a short memory?
 ianstevens 07 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:
> Don't we get snow dumps in early November?

Yes, I'm under 40 so must be a moron.

But no, I can't remeber a conditons thread worthy amount of snow in November in the last 10 years. And a quick look at the weather forecast would have provided you with an answer this weekend.

(edited for spelling - doh)
Post edited at 11:41
 French Erick 07 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

It was fully winter in the Cairngorms yesterday. Provided you erred on the side of caution and chose non turfy routes, fun could be had in the knowledge you weren't committing some hideous ethical crime.
I have never climbed in winter in Wales. Is it not possible to climb snowed-up rock?
I would happily discuss my ascent yesterday-wintry with frozen eyebrows and all (no I did not stick my head in the freezer).

It should be pointed out that this early and with no build up, obviously NO gullies or ice routes are in. At best you would destroy vegetation, at worse you would endanger yourself (some people are not cognisant of such things yet...give them a break).

Quite happy to have bumped this up Leon
 timjones 07 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Yes, I'm under 40 so must be a moron.

> But no, I can't remeber a conditons thread worthy amount of snow in November in the last 10 years. And a quick look at the weather forecast would have provided you with an answer this weekend.

> (edited for spelling - doh)

Moron? You're being a bit harsh on yourself

My point is that people learn by experience and accumulating knowledge. Why be so dismissive of a thread that allows people to share knowledge?
 timjones 07 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> I don't think its ok for people who can't be arsed/don't want to/"don't have the time" (if you have time to go winter climbing, you have time to walk around a slush covered hill) to go out and suffer expect an alert to decamp from the south-east when conditions actually come in.

I guess that you're entitled to that view, but if everyone was so uncharitable then it would be pointless asking any questions here.

Are questions about gear acceptable or should people just get off their arses and buy it for themselves?
 carnie 09 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

time for this i feel

youtube.com/watch?v=zGq-3TlswZs&
 ianstevens 09 Nov 2016
In reply to timjones:

> I guess that you're entitled to that view, but if everyone was so uncharitable then it would be pointless asking any questions here.

> Are questions about gear acceptable or should people just get off their arses and buy it for themselves?

It's not uncharitable - I'm not saying people shouldn't share information, just that it should be up to those who first garnered the information as to whether they wish to share it - I get the impression many who live away from hilly UK regions expect to receive an alert to sharpen the tools when conditions do arise.
1philjones1 09 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:
Nothing wrong with asking if you live far away- people can still choose to share info or not.
 davegs 09 Nov 2016
Don't forget to keep an eye on Twitter feed @welshwinter and use the hashtag #welshwinter

pasbury 17 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

So, at the risk of being accused of armchair mountaineering, laziness and naivety, is there any snow yet (a cold front just passed through)?
In reply to pasbury:

Light slushy dustings on the summits. Nowhere near cold enough yet.
 elliott92 17 Nov 2016
In reply to leon 1:
Go and drink a cup of horlix and untwist those panties
Post edited at 19:26
 elliott92 17 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

And your nickers are so twisted you'll end up popping a bollock soon.

FactorXXX 17 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

It's got a bit chilly and it looks like someone spilt a bag of sugar at the summit. That's not winter conditions worthy chat.

Maybe there needs to be two reports?
One on UKH for general mountaineering, etc. and one on UKC for the more specific stuff such as which crags are in condition, etc.
pasbury 17 Nov 2016

As a walker this is good news cos we all like walking on snowy mountains. It's a shame that this thread has descended into bickering.
In reply to pasbury:

> As a walker this is good news .....

Not really. When the snow is warm and slushy it doesn't give much grip, and it keeps the ground surface underneath very moist so (1) there is a much higher potential for slipping than either summer or full winter conditions and (2) there is much more potential for damage to the underlying turf leading to eroded paths.

So, for walkers, as well as winter climbers, full on winter conditions are far better than what we have now. Watch for ground temperatures reaching freezing point in the BMC Cwm Idwal project!

The forecast is for quite a heavy dump of snow over North Wales tomorrow (Sat) night, with freezing level somewhere around 5-600m for the following week, so the summits and higher ridges (but prob not the lower routes/gullies) may be in better condition soon?

In reply to pasbury:

Also check out the Snowdonia NP ground conditions report : http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/visiting/walking/ground-conditions?name
 Nigel Modern 18 Nov 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I too like getting into the mountains when the snow arrives...I wait until conditions are right before going into gulleys etc but Snowdonia is especially wonderful with even a thin covering.

I really appreciate people posting recent experiences on this thread and too think it's a shame when people try to put each other down.
In reply to Nigel Modern:

Bit better today - summits still rocky but with 3-6ins of fresh powder/graupel in the gaps between rocks from 800m upwards, some ice on the paths above 950m.

Nice wintry feel walking on the tops but dont need crampons/axes yet, and nowhere near climbing time.

Still forecast to get much more snow and lower temps from tomorrow though.
david000 19 Nov 2016
Not fussed about climbing, but if the wind has filled in some lines I'll head over.
In reply to david000:
Not enough snow or low enough for drift yet.

Deepest pockets I found on the Glyderau yesterday were only a few inches deep.
Post edited at 11:02
david000 19 Nov 2016

Cheers Ron, thanks for the update, Fingers crossed more drops over the next few days.
In reply to david000:
Tonight could be quite a heavy fall as storm Angus passes over, although the forecast at the moment is for it to pass S / E of the main summits. Monday looks like a whiteout though. Temperatures staying colder too, at least till midweek.

Wednesday/Thursday look like good winter walking days at the moment.
Post edited at 16:52
 static266 20 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

Wintry on the Glyderau yesterday, axe & crampons weren't used but probably wise to carry. Temp has been below freezing for 3 days on the tops now and some ice forming on Clogwyn Ddu.
 mrphilipoldham 20 Nov 2016
In reply to static266:

Apparently there was frozen turf in Idwal today, there's a recorded ascent! Despite the BMC temp gauge only just showing the air below zero, let alone the turf.
 ianstevens 20 Nov 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Apparently there was frozen turf in Idwal today, there's a recorded ascent! Despite the BMC temp gauge only just showing the air below zero, let alone the turf.

Good to see turf destruction season has begun. Why does nobody have any patience?
 jezb1 20 Nov 2016

Where about's is the sensor? Golden Girl is a lot higher than Idwal so it could be quite different up there.

I wouldn't know, I was teaching rock climbing today in glorious warm sunshine low down.
 mrphilipoldham 20 Nov 2016
In reply to jezb1:

There's one at 600m and one at 850m

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/idwal
 ianstevens 20 Nov 2016
In reply to jezb1:

I was doing similar (mainly running with an late afternoon's climb) in the sun, but still, but have heard reports of minimal rime, just a spattering of snow. The higher sensor is above 90% of Golden Girl Ali.
 static266 20 Nov 2016

Once out of tower gully it looks to be mostly rock rather than turf?
 mrphilipoldham 21 Nov 2016
In reply to static266:

I don't know the route at all, what gave me cause for thought was their reporting of frozen turf when the stats say otherwise. Doesn't matter if it's a handful of turf placements or an entire route of it..
 philhilo 21 Nov 2016

To be fair I don't think I have ever seen that turf sensor show 0c or below in all the time it has been there. It is an indication at that spot, and may not be representative, the folks on the route would be able to give a more accurate report of actual conditions. I did the route in question last year and I don't remember any turf on it although there was plenty of snow.
 French Erick 21 Nov 2016

> I don't know the route at all, what gave me cause for thought was their reporting of frozen turf when the stats say otherwise. Doesn't matter if it's a handful of turf placements or an entire route of it..

So you are either saying they are liars,
or that they are nor cognisant of the way to use turf medium,
or that routes should never be climbed whether turf is frozen or not.
Which is which?

If they report turf being frozen, my first impulse is to believe them. I am biased as I love winter climbing (in Scotland) and probably a bit naive.

Please, if you have a specific gripe, make your own thread and vent your views there. Something along the lines of "to those who pretended turf was frozen..."

I usually do not like to take things personally to someone but your "my PC says that a machine's readings of temperature being made available on the web shows that what you say is a lie" has irked me some. I would not descend to name calling etc but I would like to have an outline of your rational for making an assumption that it was ethically wrong. BTW do not answer here. I'll make this post the first on another thread. Ta
In reply to French Erick:

I love winter climbing too and I was in the area on Friday, and nothing was anywhere near frozen. From my experience on that day I'd suggest the temperature charts were pretty much bob on. I'm not saying the turf didn't freeze over the next two nights, but I'd be very surprised if it had.. is what I'm saying. If that makes me a bad person on a winter conditions page then so be it.
In reply to philhilo:

That might be due to the fact that in the two years it's been there, Wales has hardly had a sniff of winter?
 static266 21 Nov 2016

I'd say this ascent is more controversial, not sure I've ever seen a tryfan gully in condition!

South Gully (Winter) (III 3)
In reply to static266:

Missed that one! I'd hope they meant to log it in the summer variation which is listed as a Mod, but given the rather obvious (Winter) in the title I'd be doubtful!! It's a shame there's no telltale signs by way of comment.
 French Erick 21 Nov 2016

Anything called gully would be best left alone this early on.

Mind you, I am ready to give them the points as it must have been a terrifying ordeal!
Yikes!
In reply to French Erick:

Indeed. Though if Friday was anything to go by, there'd barely be a couple of inches worth of snow on the summit of Tryfan, let alone lower down in it's gullies.. but as ever, I stand to be corrected haha!
 Misha 21 Nov 2016
philhilo is right, the sensor never seems to drop below zero for turf. It gets pretty close at times, +0.1, that kind of thing. Just depends where it is - if it's in a big blob of turf at the bottom of the crag which gets insulated in lots of snow, that's going to be pretty different to a smaller, more exposed blob on the actual crag. I've climbed mixed routes on Clogwyn Ddu when the turf was bomber and yet the sensor was just above zero.
 NeilGriffiths 21 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

I climbed Golden Girl Ali. The bottom of the gulley had small ice pitches. The turf not fully frozen to the sides. The climb itself - marvellous nick! First-time stick, bomber turf placements , crag fully rimed. Oh ye of little faith. Rather than sit and watch little magic lanterns try going into the hills for walk.
In reply to NeilGriffiths:
That ice must have formed pretty rapid, everything was gushing on Friday afternoon.

I'm quite savvy on the old social media, and every picture I can see taken in and around Ogwen valley over weekend shows nothing but black on the crags, apart from fallen snow. It'd be interesting to see any pictures you took!
Post edited at 23:52
 TobyA 21 Nov 2016

It's a route I want to do Neil, always my favourite grade when I lived in Scotland! Do you have any pics? There is only one of the route in the UKC database at the mo'.
 Adam Long 22 Nov 2016

Funny, the only picture I've seen from this weekend showed Clogwyn Ddu well rimed. It is a lot higher than almost everything else.
In reply to Adam Long:

Last Friday there was a thin layer of time on the most windblown parts of the Glyderau summits, above about 950m. Otherwise it was clean rock with a few inches of powder between.
 ianstevens 22 Nov 2016

> I climbed Golden Girl Ali. The bottom of the gulley had small ice pitches. The turf not fully frozen to the sides. The climb itself - marvellous nick! First-time stick, bomber turf placements , crag fully rimed. Oh ye of little faith. Rather than sit and watch little magic lanterns try going into the hills for walk.

I went for a walk. It did not look "in". Rather than getting grumpy with people's legitiamte concerns, read this: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/north-wales-white-guide
 Dom Whillans 22 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Any pictures from your walk? I've seen one of Neil and his partner up by clogwyn du and it looked "in" to me...
 HTPumlumon 23 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Use your brain and realise that it's early November and we don't get snow dumps then in Snowdonia. When it is worth sharing conditions information then that is what I, and I'm sure many others, shall do. As a side note, I actually think it's a bit rude to be asking for other people's take on conditions. They've gambled on going out and maybe just going for a miserable walk. If they want to pass on what they found (again, I'm happy to do this) then great, if not then so be it. I don't think its ok for people who can't be arsed/don't want to/"don't have the time" (if you have time to go winter climbing, you have time to walk around a slush covered hill) to go out and suffer expect an alert to decamp from the south-east when conditions actually come in.

> Or you could always move house to somewhere hillier than Essex.

What an immature post. Not only totally at odds with the spirit of mountaineering, but factually wrong also. I remember years ago going on my first winter skills course in PyB, in November. Thanks to a dump of snow the previous night, we all had a great course, so these things can happen.

Good to see that most others on here are engaging positively with the thread.
 static266 23 Nov 2016
In reply to HTPumlumon:

Couldn't deal with the weather for too long yesterday (Tuesday) so only went up to around 750-800m on Crob Goch East Ridge to find rain, slush and a fairly bare looking arete when the cloud cleared. Bumped into a trio who turned around from the base of a black and dripping reades route.
 StuLade 24 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:
Went out for a look-see after the storm yesterday. Very wintery looking with everything plastered in white but was quickly receding given the warmth even up high. Pretty soft snow for the most part and turf not frozen. We went up to look at Golden Girl Ali, wandered around past it in the mist and dismissed it as thought we were in the wrong place given the clag! Had a wander around the top and came down the Gribin.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNLEFr5D9lH/
Post edited at 11:59
 A Crook 25 Nov 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

I don't usually reply or get involved with any 'discussions' on UKC anymore as I just don't have the time or the inclination. However, as this thread now directly involves me I thought hey what the heck.

Yes Golden Girl Ali was in along with it partner route to the right probably the only two routes in North Wales in.

It was unexpectedly in though and great little steal.

Some of the post here quote temperature gauges Facebook pictures and peoples report not to mention the white guide! which strangely enough I had a small part in writing, (very small I must add in the fact that I knew the author and he asked me what I thought of it before it went 'live'). But let me lead you along my thought processes which led to the result.

Weather forecasting from numerous sources showed cold (below freezing) temperatures at night and day time for 3 days leading up to Sunday, The wind was a brisk 30 mph gusting at mph also for this time coming from NW to NE. This coupled with snow and hail meant that it rime would be growing and growing quickly, high up

Idwal temp gauge showed air temps at sub zero turf hover in around 2 degrees at 850 (which I must add is below the route)

Eyeball information from friends told me freezing level was at 850, snow was freezing and turf nearly frozen but not quite.

So my winter brain is now saying something 'may' be in. but where? Well from experience (too many years to remember) I know that Colgwyn du / tower, Crib Goch and crag x are all high enough exposed enough and have turf less routes to have possibilities.

We picked Golden Girl Ali as a route, why?

1. it was a nice winter warm up,
2. the above weather forcasting.

Leaving the car a 7ish it didn't look good, but breaks in the cloud showed white and rime on Cloggy so we decided to take the kit for a walk and have a look.

The snow began to freeze at the base of lower cwm and by the time we reached the base of the route well frozen, and tower slabs were covered in an inch or 2 of good ice. The tower was white! absolutely plastered with rime. We had a small discussion on where the route went and headed up the gully. Immediately we knew the route was a in. Turf was frozen, ice was good and rock was rimed.

The route was even better. A great little number, very little turf on it it basically hooking, torquing and smearing from snow covered ledge to ledge. There where a few places where turf was needed but this was solid, it had to be as it was small blobs, ripping them would mean impossible to climb.

So we summited in the sunshine to below -2 temps. A sweet unexpected snatched route.

So in reply to the doomsayers, the soothsayers who quote temp gauges as proof, walkers who haven't even seen the crag. I say this...

The information on the web and anecdotal quotes are invaluable for deciding but, never dismiss the possibility, read the weather forecast, know the terrain, research the routes and possibilities, and never be NOT prepared to take a heavy bag for a really long walk. you never know some thing good may come out of it.
 Pete_Frost 25 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

Bone-hard névé on the Llanberis path up Snowdon today (Friday 25 November). Soloed Laddies Gully on Clogwyn y Garnedd/Trinity Face, and wished I hadn't - breakable crust over poorly frozen turf. Not fun, and a real risk of damaging the rare plants that grow on this face. The lack of sunshine on the face means that the névé hasn't formed like it has on the opposite face. We need warm conditions and then a freeze to consolidate everything, or climbing on this face will just trash the routes and turf.

Short version - go walking on Snowdon this weekend, not climbing.
david000 27 Nov 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

I was Ski Touring on the Carneddau yesterday, photo's on the facebook British Backcountry group. It was good
OP ruaidh 28 Nov 2016
In reply to david000:
Thanks all. Good conditions info. Hope people got out at the weekend. Looks like things may warm up over the next few days.
Post edited at 21:20
 zimpara 15 Dec 2016
In reply to ruaidh:

youtube.com/watch?v=a-srTsxYQaQ&

Oh yes, very wintery up there!
 Steve Woollard 15 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

That's not really wintery, just windy. There's no white stuff
 Nigel Modern 02 Jan 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

What's happened to this thread...too much negativity from some?

Ideal ridge conditions on anything above 800m currently on Thursday? Looks likely.

Can't believe nobody's been up there...what's cookin'?

...and no I won't be swinging axes into fragile turf ecosystems
 spenser 02 Jan 2017

Saw all of the snow on the hills as I was driving back yesterday, massively annoyed that I had to drive back to Derby to finish unpacking stuff in my house! It'd rained a decent amount over the last couple of days so turf may have had a chance to freeze under the snow.
 static266 02 Jan 2017

Well someone has already logged an ascent of left hand trinity, can't have been fun!
 LG-Mark 02 Jan 2017
In reply to spenser:

It was only a light dusting really.... nothing to shout about. My lad was pleased that he managed to try his new crampons within 12hrs of buying them though! (Even though he was being overly optimistic about the said conditions....)
 Nigel Modern 06 Jan 2017
In reply to LG-Mark and others:

Thanks guys. I'm surprised at how little snow fell...and it all melted on Wed, so yesterday's trip was dry apart from frozen surface water on tracks above about 800m. Very little reported on Crib Goch

All the same crampons were needed and I saw many people having an uncomfortable time.

You don't need 10 pointers for the main tracks (or Crib Goch, though full crampons make it much easier in some conditions) and instep crampons or eg Grivel Spiders do a good job. Why risk life and limb for a few quid?

angry pirate 06 Jan 2017
In reply to spenser:

I was out on Monday up Y Garn then over the Glyders and there was enough snow and rimed up rock to make crampons worthwhile (though I was only one of two folk wearing them I could see).
I did plan to schlep up one of the gullies on Y Garn and had a mooch at Banana Gully but the turf was nowhere near frozen so scrambled up the buttress next door instead.
 spenser 06 Jan 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

That makes me feel a little bit better!
 geoff b 14 Jan 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

Cwm Cneifion is holding a surprising amount of snow & ice and the turf is frozen where it's exposed. It'd appear that the snow has been swept in there (bizarre bearing in mind the NW winds) and it was knee deep at the base of the upper cwm today. The easier lines at the back of the upper cwm would have been climbable today. RH Y Gully had a couple of ascents today & Hidden Gully would have been in. Viz was too poor to see up LH Y Gully but the lower section looked thin. The harder routes on the buttress are going to need a bit more time but it only needs a dip in the overnight temperature or a bit of freeze/thaw cycle over the next few days to be in good & proper.
 maxsmith 16 Jan 2017
In reply to ruaidh:
I'm heading up to North Wales on Friday, I'm guessing everything will have melted by then?
Post edited at 13:29
 d_b 16 Jan 2017
In reply to maxsmith:

Hope not, as I'm considering wandering over myself.
 neilwiltshire 18 Jan 2017
In reply to maxsmith:

I was on Snowdon on Saturday. There was a decent amount of snow first thing, though totally unconsolidated. By the time we came down, the hordes and the weather had put paid to most of the snow. It rained heavily overnight and there was a significant reduction in snow coverage.

Looking at the weather this week and webcams, looks like its just wet and warm and black now.
 ianstevens 18 Jan 2017
In reply to maxsmith:

> I'm heading up to North Wales on Friday, I'm guessing everything will have melted by then?

Right in one. Go for a nice walk instead?
 GaborS 19 Jan 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

I always use these peeps:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Snowdon/webcams/latest

Scroll down and you have the main European and Scottish destinations as well.

Updated daily.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Jan 2017
In reply to GaborS:

We were there at the weekend, on the Glyders, and friends did the Snowdon Horseshoe. Pretty much zero snow, and contrary to what the Snowdon Rangers report says on the Met office website, axe and crampons aren't essential. There's snow at the top of the Pyg Track by the monolith, but can be avoided if necessary.
 richprideaux 28 Jan 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

A dusting on the bigger hills today, not enough to bring the tools out but enough to make everything a bit slippery.

Fair play to the guy with the axe still in his hand trudging through the mud near Bochlwyd - he was ready for anything....
 largejason 04 Feb 2017
White stuff on the hills, obvz nothing in , nothing consolidated.. but nice to see we have some light colours, short vid showing views around Cwm Glas, Cwm Uchaf, Crib Coch.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ishDjldY-IY

mmd 06 Feb 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

Amazed. Stunning weather Sat morning and yesterday morning, good frost at 200m and hardly any cars. Where was everybody. Great conditions for the rock/mixed routes as certain crags had a good covering . Nice to have climbs oneself.
 mrphilipoldham 06 Feb 2017
In reply to mmd:

I'd love to know what winter routes you find climbable on Sunday morning.. nothing was anywhere near climbable at 900m on Saturday! No rime, no nothing.
1philjones1 07 Feb 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

Has anyone been on Trinity Face since the snowfall at the weekend? Heading over tomorrow and trying to work out the most likely places for gullies to be in condition. Would appreciate any info from people who've been out.
Many thanks
Phil
 thlcr1 09 Feb 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

Was in Ogwen today. Nipped up Seniors ridge which had a bit of snow near the top and was quite icy in places. Enough to benefit from an axe and crampons. At the top had a look at Clogwyn du. Its starting to hoar up, particularly on the right towards Y gully. Not much snow or ice though so not sure if anything would be climbable over that side. Looking down into Hidden gully, I think it might be doable. Bit thin, and several sparsely covered rock steps, but might go at a slightly higher grade that normal. No sign of steps coming out of Hidden but somebody had obviously been up or down Easy gully. Not sure what the state of the turf would be like. On seniors it was frozen in places and not in others, quite a bit of ice around though. Summit plateau thin snow but pretty iced. Descent to devils kitchen fair build of snow, well stepped out. Hope that helps somebody

Lee
 jim jones 09 Feb 2017
In reply to thlcr1:

Ta for that Lee, think I'll go and have a look around tomorrow.
 MarkDerby 09 Feb 2017
In reply to thlcr1:

Sounds similar to what I saw up in Cwm Lloer today Lee. Gullies bare except upper sections. Headwall snowy and quite firm in parts but overall very thin conditions although very cold and ice forming in seepage lines.
 thlcr1 09 Feb 2017
In reply to jim jones:

Hi Jim, yes its not great but probably worth a look.

Lee
 thlcr1 09 Feb 2017
In reply to MarkDerby:

> Sounds similar to what I saw up in Cwm Lloer today Lee. Gullies bare except upper sections. Headwall snowy and quite firm in parts but overall very thin conditions although very cold and ice forming in seepage lines.

Yes was surprised by how much ice was forming in the drainage lines, even Idwal steam and the devils appendix etc were starting to freeze. Another week or two of constant freezing weather and it might be quite good :-/

Lee
 Fiskavaig 09 Feb 2017
In reply to jim jones:

Could you post if you go for a look please, i will be that way on the weekend, and any info on the run up would be appreciated, Cheers
 mrphilipoldham 10 Feb 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

Just down from an amble up Gribin ridge today on to Glyder Fach. Turf was frozen from quite low down where exposed. Traversed in to Lila's Chocolate Feast from the top of Col Gully but turf under the snow has been well insulated and isn't even close to being bomber.. and that's above 900m so doubt much will be in at all this weekend. Ice forming in some higher streams but not enough to climb.
 jim jones 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Fiskavaig:

Went for a look at the Black Ladders looks to be coming in high up but nothing low down. N facing turf frozen from quite low and plenty of lines forming. I did the scramble up the Llech Ddu Spur and it's pretty good high up, turf was taking a pick and what snow there is, is well frozen.
 geoff b 11 Feb 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

Just been up to Cwm Cneifion again today and although the conditions on the Glyder Fawr plateau above were atrocious the cwm itself wasn't so bad, albeit with diddly squat visibility. The waterfall in the lower cwm (II?) was frozen, the lines on the left side of the upper cwm (e.g Tower Gully & Nameless Face) were probably in but I couldn't see very far up them. On Clogwyn Du, Cleft Gully looked like it would go, Hidden Gully & the descent (Easy Gully) were in fine condition. I couldn't see the crux icefall on Left Hand Y Gully, but there looked like there was enough on Right Hand. Turf was frozen hard where it was exposed, from 600m upwards, but where it was under deeper snow it was still insulated. It would have been interesting to get on to the ramp of Pillar Chimney to see how those routes on the wall above were doing. Lots of folk heading up into the cwm by 11am.

The Cwm Idwal ice falls are beginning to form but still need a couple more cold days, which we may not get. Same story on Craig y Rhaeadr I'm afraid. Couldn't see into upper Cwm Glas from the road but I'm told Parsley Fern Gully was all there yesterday.
 geoff b 28 Feb 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

Was up on Yr Wyddfa/Snowdon last night; beautifully clear & starry with barely a breath of wind, but more importantly heaps of snow. Ice forming on the path from 500m, snow was knee deep in places at 900m. Strong winds forecast for the next couple of days but watching the forecast for Friday & the weekend might prove profitable.
 rockcatch 03 Mar 2017
In reply to ruaidh:

For information, there have been avalanches reported on the Pyg Track and Banana (D) Gully on Y Garn over the last couple of days. Llanberis MRT have posted a couple of photos on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/llanberismrt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...