REVIEW: Exped SynMat HyperLite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 01 Nov 2016
It's pretty baltic, but I'm well insulated from the cold ground, 3 kbIt's well made and comfortably thick, but what really sets the SynMat HyperLite apart is its impressive warmth for its minimal weight. You'll find warmer inflatable mats and you'll find lighter... but both at once? Unlikely, reckons Dan Bailey.

Read more
 Pedro50 01 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I agree with the reviewer that the option of a shorter version would make sense. I have two 3/4 length Thermarests, one of which is about the same weight as this. When I bought a Thermarest Z Lite sol I chopped 5/14 off. The weight savings are considerable and I am quite happy to put my feet on my emptyish sack.
Removed User 01 Nov 2016
Good review Dan. I've had one of these for about a year and would concur with much of what you write.

Mine replaced two UL7s, both of which had failed (internal baffles split, one replaced under warranty, one was 3 years old). I bought the Hyperlight because of the lack of weight but I find it nowhere near as comfortable as the rectangular mats and tend not to get such a good night's sleep on it. The rectangular Synmats rate up there with the comfiest beds I've ever slept on, never mind other camping mattresses. I'm going to buy a regular Synmat7 for any camping where weight isn't so much of an issue and keep the Hyperlight for weight weenie trips. In the context of superlight mats it is very comfortable, but if I could only have one mat it would be another yellow UL7.

One thing is to be very wary of overinflation which is very easy to do and is what did for my first two mats. At first I'd always think that I'd under-inflated it, but when I lay on it I'd end up letting a bit of air out. Optimum pressure is surprisingly low. However, despite the durability issues, I won't consider anything else now.

Re shorter versions, they do a short version of the UL mats and my better half has one.
Post edited at 21:37
 TobyA 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> However, despite the durability issues, I won't consider anything else now.

I've had similar durability issues with Alpkit Numos and oddly it would make me consider other options despite Numos probably still being the most you can get for your money in terms of minimal weight and plentiful comfort. Nevetheless, I've used this more since the review http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8458 and still think it is great - maybe a future option to consider!

Good review Dan. I've also found your feet can come off tapered mats and you tend to only notice when they get cold!

MonkeyPuzzle 04 Nov 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> The rectangular Synmats rate up there with the comfiest beds I've ever slept on, never mind other camping mattresses.

My first weekend on my Synmat made me buy a new double mattress because it didn't feel right being comfier camping than in bed at home.
 Lightweight 05 Nov 2016

Didn't read the review because I don't need one BUT did love the photos. Looks wonderful. Could you include locations in the photo captions? Say this as a compliment!
In reply to Lightweight:

Thanks! the shots with obvious background scenery are Loch Quoich. There's a teensy bit of Newlands valley in there too, but not so you'd notice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...