NEWS: Proposed Removal of Highland Payphones: Public Consultation Begins

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 12 Oct 2016
Rannoch Moor - a typical Highland view, 3 kbThe Highland Council are appealing to the public to take part in a consultation on the proposed removal of 178 public BT payphones from remote areas across the Highland region.

Individuals and organisations partaking in outdoor activities in the hills have expressed support for the payphones, which are often the only lifeline in case of emergency in areas with poor mobile coverage.

Read more
 Andy Syme 12 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

So is there any way to identify which Mountaineering Scotland think are important? I can guess some but as you have to comment on each phone separately without a defined list then we won't be able to raise a concerted opinion.
 marsbar 12 Oct 2016

Keswick MRT were successful in keeping one earlier this year in an area without signal. I would be interested in the views of locals and those that know the area well, as to which of these boxes should be kept and which are particularly important. Personally I think it would be good to keep some of the ones near the water, as people don't always have mobiles in canoes etc. It appears from the list that some are used by local residents too. List here. http://consult.highland.gov.uk/portal/dp/teleconsult/payphoneconsult?pointI...
 marsbar 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Andy Syme:
Exactly.
I have contacted the Scottish Canoe Association. I will post when I get a reply.
Post edited at 14:55
In reply to Andy Syme:

I have the list, a little awkward to publish though. I've put it in a shareable Google Doc. The ones Mountaineering Scotland have expressed concern about are highlighted in green – although two of those (also highlighted in yellow) have been withdrawn from the closure list by BT.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GJgXFZE_Vhpob4UPaKAYlFrO-wKBORq8Qr_...

The phones that, since Monday, BT have confirmed that they are no longer planning to close are:
01478640220 Highland Pco Pco Glenbrittle Isle Of Skye IV47 8TA
01470562206 Highland Pco Tighean-Na-Glibe Staffin Portree IV51 9JX
01855811223 Highland No.6a Kiosk Main Street 1pco Glencoe Ballachulish PH49 4HW

If anyone wants to simply object to the same ones on this list, Mountaineering Scotland reckon that you can email policy6@highland.gov.uk saying that you support Mountaineering Scotland’s position. Otherwise, of course, you can go through the online map and decide which you personally want to object to.
 Wicamoi 12 Oct 2016

Sorry to be the smart arse pedant for today, but "a typical highland view" of Rannoch Moor very rarely includes Loch Torridon and Liathach.
 marsbar 12 Oct 2016
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Thanks. I have sent that to SCA, assume that's ok.

I have also asked Scottish Canals for their opinion regarding the Caledonian Canal.
 vscott 13 Oct 2016

Note, the interactive map http://highland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d0378d4b8d9... Allows comments to be entered directly by clckng on the red phone marker which is maybe easier than identifying via the location descriptions in the lists.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...