COMPETITION: WINNERS - Win a Sea to Summit Sleeping Mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sea to Summit Sleeping Mat, 4 kbA good night's sleep whilst camping is essential to having a good day in the outdoors. The range of Sea To Summit sleeping mats ensure you have a comfortable night's sleep whether you're on a multi-day hike where weight is at a premium, or if you're car camping on a weekend away.

Read more
 olddirtydoggy 26 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Is the R-value of that mat really only 0.7?
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

That's a good question.

Having looked into the range a little further, it would seem that the Ultralight is very much focussed on keeping weight to an absolute minimum (i.e. at the cost of greater insulation + warmth). As such, it'd be ideal for summer camping + trekking, but less fine if you're spending months on a glacier - it's most certainly not designed for that!

If that's what you're looking for, the Ultralight Insulated, Comfort Light Insulated or even beefier Comfort Plus Insulated would be the ones to go for (R3.5, 4.2 and R5 respectively).

Hope that's of help.
 zimpara 26 Sep 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

And where would one purchase one of these from? In the market and sure as hell can't forsee winning anything as usual.
In reply to zimpara:

There's three stockists listed on the product news page here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=8600

That said, the moment you buy one you know it's inevitable that you'll win...

TobyA 26 Sep 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Is the R-value of that mat really only 0.7?

Non insulated air mats are surprisingly poor at insulating - I've noticed even at temps around 5 or 6 degrees it can get unpleasantly cool on them. They are though ridiculously light and small.

The one I reviewed is a bit heavier and bulkier, but fine to sleep on snow on http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8458

I'd love one of the the uninsulated ones for summer bikepacking and the like when cold wouldn't be an issue - they are just so small, but from this time of the year onwards the insulated one is probably a better bet.
 galpinos 26 Sep 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> Non insulated air mats are surprisingly poor at insulating......

But the Neo-Air manages an R value of 3,.2 without insulation.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair...

Hmmmm.....
 TobyA 26 Sep 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Yep, clever design of interlocking channels I think - but then there is more material in all the side walls so you don't save hugely on weight I guess?
 gethin_allen 26 Sep 2016
In reply to TobyA:
Angling this one at you as you seem to have a lot of experience in this area.
I'm toying with the idea of spray gluing some 3mm closed cell foam to a cheap thermarest to increase comfort, insulation and puncture resistance for bivying use. Have you ever tried such a thing?
 TobyA 26 Sep 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:
Nope, but why glue them? I have in Nordic winter conditions used a thermarest on a foam mat lots. Probably easier to pack as two items besides anything else.

IF you glue them then did get a puncture through the foam, I imagine it would be unfixable?
Post edited at 23:24
 gethin_allen 26 Sep 2016
In reply to TobyA:

I was thinking about the glue to minimise the midnight chasing of mats when I inevitably roll over in the night. I hadn't considered fixing possible punctures.
 Wsdconst 03 Oct 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> I was thinking about the glue to minimise the midnight chasing of mats when I inevitably roll over in the night. I hadn't considered fixing possible punctures.

What about a few self adhesive Velcro squares to hold them together, then they can be separated for packing, repairing etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...