sleeping mat puncture

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hi

I have a ME Helium sleeping mat, with a puncture. I have put it in the bath and found the offending leak, but it is in an awkward place.

It is situated where the corner of the hard plastic valve housing meets the fabric (if you know what I mean) therefore prone to creasing. I have put some of the tape that comes in the tube; unsuccessfully. I think this is because when the mat is inflated, it forces the tape to come away.

My Plan B is to use a bike repair kit supported by the tape previously mentioned.

Has anybody got any useful tips/advice?

Ta

Mark
 DP 01 Sep 2016
In reply to stucknortherner: You could try seam sealant like Seam Grip. Built up in a few layers it's worked well on my Exped pad without the need for a patch. Sounds like a tricky place to repair but the stuff seems pretty robust and flexible so might be worth a shot.

Rigid Raider 01 Sep 2016
In reply to stucknortherner:

I've successfully repaired an ice axe pick hole in the middle of a mat (don't ask) with glue and a patch but your sounds to be in an awkward place.
 blurty 01 Sep 2016

I've had success with this stuff before. Sticks to anything.

(No good for rock boot soles though - too slippery)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Performance-Shoe-Goo-Clear/dp/B002L9AL84/...
 TobyA 01 Sep 2016
Difficult place to fix but I've done it on a Decathlon and Alpkit at that spot by slathering on seam grip. Just be aware that a) I only got another few years of relatively irregular use from those mats and b) seam grip is bloody expensive!
Post edited at 12:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...