Packable mountain first aid guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Anderson 18 Aug 2016
Looking around to buy a small mountain first aid guide that I can stick in my pack along with the first aid kit. I've heard the Wilderness Medical Associates Field Guide is very good but can't seem to find it available for sale anywhere in the UK.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other books, or of where I might be able to get hold of that one?

nb. I know carrying a book is no substitute for training.
 Lucy Wallace 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Phil Anderson:
Is this just for day stuff, or expeditions? For day stuff, really, training is the bomb. Its the ideal way to be pretty good at dealing with the full range of likely 1st aid scenarios- giving exactly that, first aid. A book is really not that much use and a good first aider is able to handle the basics from stopping bleeding to cpr- practice makes perfect (and weighs nothing).

However, in an expedition setting the cicerone wilderness medicine book is good for the lay person: http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/715/title/pocket-first-ai...

Covers most things from altitude to travellers tummy to wound care.
Post edited at 16:03
OP Phil Anderson 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Snoweider:
Thanks Snoweider, I'll take a look. It's mostly day stuff btw.
Post edited at 16:25
 marsbar 18 Aug 2016

I have casualty cards in mine, not so much instructions as a reminder and tick list. Shown here http://www.highpeakfirstaid.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Mountain-Leade...
 Lucy Wallace 18 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

I second the Cas card. Useful for monitoring and handover to emergency services and a good prompt. Sorry to be boring though, but for 1st aid, if you don't know it already, getting it out of a book while your cas is breathing their last is not ideal- the training needs to be in place and then you just follow ABCs.
 humptydumpty 18 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Nice kit. Where can I get some of that bumSoothe?
 marsbar 18 Aug 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Harrasment

marsbar 18 Aug 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

That's not my kit, it's from the people I do my first aid course with.
 Brass Nipples 18 Aug 2016
I have a first aid app by the Red Cross on my phone that useful to have on you. It has an emergency tab that quickly brings up the essentials.
Post edited at 18:16
In reply to Lion Bakes:

St. John's have one, too.

Both are, sadly, very much 'books', and miss the opportunity to provide computer-guided emergency triage. You have to have had some training in the first place to make use of both apps.

My experience in first aid training is that the exercises are very revealing, and probably the most valuable part of the course. I knew most of the theory in advance, but actually trying to apply it, even in simulated scenarios, was pretty hard. The actual techniques were fine, but the incident management was the thing I found hardest, trying not to get tunnel vision on the casualty in hand.
 Bobling 18 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks for that, I'll get one of them in my kit. I've done a bunch of first aid courses over the years and am amazed this is the first time I've heard of these, such a useful thing and so helpful for prompting you about what you should be doing and recording vital info. In case anyone else is thinking the same thing here's a link: http://www.will4adventure.com/PDFs/OFA_Cas_Mon_Sheet.pdf

I think the hardest thing about first aid is you get a few days training every few years and then have to pull it out of the bag with no notice in a stressful situation.

Greasy Prusiks 18 Aug 2016

Not exactly what you're after but the red cross first aid app is good.
OP Phil Anderson 19 Aug 2016

Thanks for all the help and advice all - very useful.

I should've mentioned that I've had training - used to be a registered first-aider - but that was years ago and I'm rusty so a book (and/or app) with reminders and current best practices is what I'm after.
 marsbar 19 Aug 2016
Sorry to bang on but a refresher course is a good idea. Stuff gets updated, kit improves and changes, and humans forget. Also most first aid courses are aimed at what to do in a nice indoor environment in the 10 mins maximum before a paramedic arrives. Anyone who spends time in the outdoors would be wise to do a relevant course, which won't waste time on workplace regulations and will show you what to do if help is an hour away, or even more.

I always use HPFA, every 3 years for the last decade. Proper practical scenarios, on a muddy hillside, with trainers who have travelled the world and know what they are talking about.

http://www.highpeakfirstaid.co.uk/product/high-peak-wilderness-first-aid-mo...
Post edited at 14:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...