Route Marking the Cuillin Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dicksterios 14 Aug 2016
Many of the world famous walks and scrambles have small paint flashes every so often to help with route finding. eg, the GR20 in Corsica and the Alta Via 2 in the Dolomites are two examples. To my mind these do not detract from the pleasure of the experience at all.

I have tried to walk/climb the Cuillin Ridge several times and always been unable to complete it due to low cloud and poor visibility which make route finding very difficult. Of course, if I lived locally I could just wait for fine weather before setting off. Then route finding would be easy peasy.

But like so many, I have to fix dates in advance and travel many hundreds of miles and the probability of getting a fine spell of weather is pretty slim.

I would love to see the route marked, or at least some parts of it with small paint flashes, not every 10m but in the key areas where route finding in cloud is difficult and mistakes are made. This would give all of us a better chance of completing a great route, even in the less than perfect weather that we are used to.

I'm happy to volunteer.

Dicksterios

Lusk 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Splodges of paint are easily missed, especially in mist.
A steel cable along the entire route and ladders on the climbing pitches would be better.
Graeme G 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

0/10. Nice try but too obvious.
 d_b 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Lusk:
Don't forget the hut on the inaccessible pinnacle. It could be called "The In Pinn Inn" and have the toilet aimed down the normal scrambling route to encourage people to pay to use the cable and ladder.
Post edited at 18:58
 timjones 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Just ask a local to show you the way, if you ask really nicely they may even carry your lunch and a flagon of wine for you.
 Rich W Parker 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Aye whatever...
Rigid Raider 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

I remember a story from the seventies about a French group who went out and painted a route up a British mountain for the kids to follow the next day. The story said that a bunch of locals went up and wire-brushed the paint off.
 DaveHK 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

>I have tried to walk/climb the Cuillin Ridge several times and always been unable to complete it due to low cloud and poor visibility which make route finding very difficult.

> I'm happy to volunteer.

If you can't find the way how will you mark the route?

Just sayin'.

Barrington 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Someone's beaten you too it. They've started marking the route........with turds!
 PPP 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Wouldn't be it too dangerous to do it in poor weather? Markings would only encourage for less experienced to wander into the danger.
 humptydumpty 14 Aug 2016
Hi Dick Serious,

Seriously good idea, Dick!

One improvement - I think a continuous line would be easier to see. If you use glow in the dark paint then it will also stop people getting stuck if they're benighted without a headtorch.

You'll find people on this forum say that this paint would detract from the "challenge" of the route, but hopefully the increased traffic will also add some polish to key steps, which should mean anyone who might previously have got lost will instead slip off.

Please email me if you want an assistant.
Dicksterios 14 Aug 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Ha ha ha, lots of witty replies but not a single serious objection, or did I miss something?
 humptydumpty 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

> not a single serious objection

So far from sensible that no-one's taking it seriously.

Dr.S at work 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Paint, as others have said will be of limited value in poor weather. Have you considered using 5w lasers angled at 45deg every 20m? Would work well in fog!!
 bouldery bits 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

They should be very careful to mark the sections under the bridges and around the Goats.
 d_b 14 Aug 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

Is that why all the sheep I saw in the lake district last week had paint on them?
 george mc 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

> > I have tried to walk/climb the Cuillin Ridge several times and always been unable to complete it due to low cloud and poor visibility which make route finding very difficult.

> I would love to see the route marked, or at least some parts of it with small paint flashes, not every 10m but in the key areas where route finding in cloud is difficult and mistakes are made. This would give all of us a better chance of completing a great route, even in the less than perfect weather that we are used to.

> I'm happy to volunteer.

> Dicksterios

If you can't find your own way along the ridge how do you propose to mark the 'proper' route yourself?
 JJL 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

> Ha ha ha, lots of witty replies but not a single serious objection, or did I miss something?

I've got a serious objection.

Everyone is laughing at you for a reason you know.
 digby 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Never mind paint. I want it bolted.
 d_b 15 Aug 2016
In reply to digby:

But where are you going to get a 4km single rope?
llechwedd 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Although compass is unreliable on the ridge for route finding, Dowsing always gives the same level of success, without the need for locating painted rocks.

Carbon fibre walking poles, if used on the walk in, make excellent dowsing rods, once on the ridge.
Best held up at an angle of 45 degrees to avoid the water from thunderstorms running down your sleeves, you'll find them very responsive to energy fields.

HTH
 wilkie14c 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

The cuillin ridge is an aspired to and special route because of the very thing you have been troubled with. It is a true mountaineering adventure that tests the climbers navigation and route finding skills like nowhere else. To route mark it would take this away and cheapen the route.
The Scottish mountains (especially those on the isles) tend to reward the climber in terms of sheer effort put in. The more you put in, the more you'll get out.
Liken this to the Alps and on popular routes we can use a similar adage, the more you are prepared to pay, the more you'll get out.
I'm calling troll
 Rob Exile Ward 16 Aug 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

I think you may be a bit late.
 Brass Nipples 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

How about a solid white line that becomes dashed where it is safe to overtake?

drunken monkey 17 Aug 2016
In reply to george mc:

use the in situ VF of course
 Roberttaylor 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Ignoring the ops idea...

What is a beast if a runner were to use coloured chalk to discreetly mark the fastest route in an attempt to beat the record? Would people object to that? It would wash off with the first rain.

Thoughts?
 jonnie3430 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Roberttaylor:

It would not be in the spirit of the challenge and the record would be for a marked run with the original still standing.
KevinD 17 Aug 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> But where are you going to get a 4km single rope?

lots of 50m ropes plus ducttape.
 pavelk 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:
I travelled 1000 miles to do Cuillin Ridge and I did not finish it (because of bad weather). Don£ t smear it with paint please before I am coming back - at least
Post edited at 20:51
 IanMcC 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Roll-Mountains-Graham-Forbes/dp/184018969X

Too late. This guy was advocating a Via Ferrata years ago.
 Fat Bumbly2 18 Aug 2016
Floodlight the thing, lengthen the season into those shorter days,

llechwedd 18 Aug 2016
In reply to pavelk:

> I travelled 1000 miles to do Cuillin Ridge and I did not finish it (because of bad weather). Don£ t smear it with paint please before I am coming back - at least

My walk in to the Cuillin took 3 months, and this only after about 30 years of self imposed restraint, on the basis that merely driving there to 'do' it was profanity, and that I must wait until a suitably fitting trip could do it justice.

In old age, you and I might look back on our adventures, mining the rich seam.
By contrast, someone in need of a paint dauber to make their 'personal challenge' reliably achievable will probably barely register that it was 'done', sitting as it probably does, alongside their other personal challenges like the 3 peaks car-athon , Everest Base Camp, Machu picchu and feckin Kilimanjaro.
 Trangia 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Splodges of paint are easily missed, especially in mist.

> A steel cable along the entire route and ladders on the climbing pitches would be better.

You forgot to mention a chair lift to the start on Gars-bhienn and a zip wire from Sgurr nan Gillean to the Sligachan Hotel....
 Brass Nipples 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

A wire bridge across the TD gap would also speed up single day attempts.

wercat 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:
shorely their must be an app in a way for this?
Post edited at 22:46
 GrahamD 19 Aug 2016
In reply to wercat:

I was just thinking that. Don't these new fangled GPS gizmos give you all the information you might want ?
 Trangia 19 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> I was just thinking that. Don't these new fangled GPS gizmos give you all the information you might want ?

I believe so. I have been advised that there even an app for arranging the sort of weather you require for your trip.
 summo 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

Some quite short sighted ideas here, modest hut at An Doris, viewing platform, meals and take aways of course. Shouldnt be too hard to build a few good via ferratas there to make it more commercially viable. A little like the cosmiques hut, butwith a balcony like the telepherique station where you will have to climb past if doing the ridge, a bit of punter interaction.
KevinD 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> A wire bridge across the TD gap would also speed up single day attempts.

Go for a catapult and landing net instead.
Or maybe several in a row so you can really speed things up.
 d_b 19 Aug 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Just do the entire ridge traverse in one go using a cannon.
 Babika 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Dicksterios:

A few taps along the way? No need to carry all that pesky water
 wercat 19 Aug 2016
In reply to summo:
An Doris - named after Howard Doris?

They did indeed bild platforms
Post edited at 11:16
lostcat 19 Aug 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

Are you really this stuck up and serious? I've a small inkling the OP was taking the piss.
 Barrington 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> You forgot to mention a chair lift to the start on Gars-bhienn and a zip wire from Sgurr nan Gillean to the Sligachan Hotel....

The state I was in when I finished; I would have been sorely tempted by the zip-wire. Straight into the Bar would have done me just perfect!
 Toccata 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

> Floodlight the thing, lengthen the season into those shorter days,

Funnily enough I rather like the idea of abbing into the TD gap on a dark winter's day and finding a Narnia-esque streetlamp there.
 Trangia 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Barrington:

> The state I was in when I finished; I would have been sorely tempted by the zip-wire. Straight into the Bar would have done me just perfect!

I couldn't agree more! The walk down to Sligachan in the dark, with the lights never seeming to get any closer was the hardest part of the traverse, not helped by being eaten alive by midges every time we stopped for a rest or pee. Never in my history of mountaineering was a pint at the bar so welcome....
 d_b 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Toccata:

> Funnily enough I rather like the idea of abbing into the TD gap on a dark winter's day and finding a Narnia-esque streetlamp there.

I could accept that if it came with a Narnia-esque guarantee of perfect winter conditions at all times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...