Sleeping bag versus duvet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JEF 20 Jul 2016
My wife is prepared to come camping on occasions but she doesn't like the mummy style sleeping bag.
She likes the idea of having a duvet instead. Does anyone here do this? We were wondering whether it's effective and what tog rating to go for. Wifey feels the cold!
 Dave the Rave 20 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

There are some lightweight fanatics that use down duvets that you just put over yourself. I'll have a look for one.
 Dave the Rave 20 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

Apogee synthetic sleeping quilt £120at backpacking light.
 buzby 20 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

car camping or backpacking?
OP JEF 20 Jul 2016
In reply to buzby:

Car camping, almost glamping
 nastyned 20 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

I've taken the duvet when car camping, it works fine in a tent.
 buzby 20 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

cant see any issue then, ive used one when ive been sleeping in the back of the estate car on weekends away. if you don't have to carry it then go for comfort. might get a few funny looks on the campsite but who cares.
once on a trip to Vegas we visited a dude ranch where you could say overnight in a genuine tepee.
looked inside and it had a carpet and a double bed in it.
 tspoon1981 20 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

I was actually looking at https://www.alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover and happened to glance at your thread and had hoped someone had used it.
 marsbar 20 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

If she feels the cold you need insulation under as well, so if you sleep on one duvet and put the other on top you should be fine.
 damowilk 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:
We have a PHD down duvet, combined with a double sized Exped mat, for luxurious car camping. The problem is the duvet is so light, it doesn't stay put. It needs some way of attaching it down to the corners of the mat. It also feels quite small as we use a King size at home.

There's a nice looking product from a company called Nemo, the Tango duo, which is a fitted down duvet with a foot box and pillow holder, that has a slip that holds two sleeping mats in place: looks like it could be a great system.
Post edited at 08:23
 galpinos 21 Jul 2016
In reply to damowilk:

> We have a PHD down duvet, combined with a double sized Exped mat, for luxurious car camping. The problem is the duvet is so light, it doesn't stay put. It needs some way of attached it down to the corners of the mat.

This was just what I was going to say. I've got an ME down quilt for the van and the only issue is when you move, so oes it, it's so light it kind of floats, so if it's cold you can get a chilly breeze under it when you move.

A normal duvet for car camping is fine, just make sure here's enough insulation under you.

ben b 21 Jul 2016
In reply to damowilk:

You're quite right - down duvets need to be pretty heavy to stay in place.

When the big tent is up at Glenorchy we use two exped down air mats down the back of a Big Agnes double bag. It's a 'top bag' so down underneat in the mats = top can't fall off. Ours is synthetic on top (and cheap in the sale at REI) but they have a very nice down version too. https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Bag/filters/7

The Nemo type ones include a few competitors:
https://www.rei.com/c/double-sleeping-bags?r=c&pagesize=90&ir=categ...

cheers

b
 Phil Anderson 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:
We got a double sleeping bag. Problem solved.
 damowilk 21 Jul 2016
In reply to ben b:

Cheers for that, a few options. It'd be nice to find one that fits our Exped double mat: maybe PHD would make up something custom.
 ben b 21 Jul 2016
In reply to damowilk:

They might well but you could need a second mortgage
Cheers
b
 lithos 21 Jul 2016
In reply to damowilk:

use a synthetic duvet for under you as well, cheap (you can use a single usually), comfy, bulky but who cares.
 youngtom 22 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

For car camping the missus and I have been known to simply grab the duvet and pillows from our bed plus a second duvet for underneath. If you've got the space for it in the car then it doesn't get much better than that.
lostcat 22 Jul 2016
In reply to youngtom:

Definitely, even if I'm on my own I'll usually take my duvet and sleep on top of it in my sleeping bag.
OP JEF 22 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

Thanks everyone. We've treated ourselves to a down duvet each, now planning the next trip.
 wilkie14c 22 Jul 2016
In reply to JEF:

We do it when car camping. Double inflatatable, bottom sheet and duvet straight off the bed.
 alan moore 22 Jul 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

> We do it when car camping. Double inflatatable, bottom sheet and duvet straight off the bed.

Same here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...