Solar Impulse - Momentus or a stunt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 12 Jul 2016

The Solar Impulse is nearing the end of its round-the-world trip which began in March last year. Quite an impressive feat for a vehicle that has used no fuel while in flight. What scientific advances, if any, can we expect from this achievement?
Post edited at 09:57
 Baron Weasel 12 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Agreed, very impressive. Unfortunately I expect if there are any scientific advances they will probably have military application.
 GrahamD 12 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Very few scientific ones but quite a few incremental engineering ones.
 jkarran 12 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't suppose we'll be seeing solar powered passenger/freight transport systems. I do suspect we'll see unmanned solar powered, high altitude communication/surveillance aircraft deployed within the decade.

I suspect solar-battery technology will be adopted quite early into self-launching and self-sustaining sailplanes. Power systems are the main focus of commercial competition/development in the sailplane market at the moment and battery-electric power is already on the cusp being performance/price competitive with IC.

The Solar Impulse circumnavigation is an impressive demonstration of renewable energy technology, human ingenuity and the courage/determination it takes to claim these big adventure records.
jk
 Only a hill 12 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

As luck would have it, I'm editing a feature on SI2 today. I think it's an incredible human achievement and probably something of a pathfinder for future developments.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...