GROUP TEST: Softshell Trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 04 Jul 2016
trouser group test montage, 3 kbOver spring and into summer we've tested eight pairs of light-to-medium weight softshell trousers on valley and mountain crags, overnight hill walks and even the odd snowy day. So which is the best all-rounder?

Read more
 Fiona Reid 04 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Any chance of doing a similar feature for ladies trousers?

Super. Now which manufacturer has realised that a 33" inside leg still ain't long enough for us tall people?

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

and I need more manufactures to do a 29" leg
 galpinos 04 Jul 2016
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

ME do I think?
In reply to galpinos:

They do on one or two pairs but not the whole range unfortunately
 Shone 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

its incredible how in general clothing manufacturers don't offer longer leg lengths, just look at jeans: 34" inside leg seems to be the max. I like it when trousers are offered unfinished, shows some thought
 C Witter 04 Jul 2016

Recognised Trowbarrow's "Coral Sea" in there... which made me think, why bother with softsell softshell when you can have Jean Jeanie?

:O

Someone had to make that joke, sorry...
 GarethSL 05 Jul 2016

> For genuine 2-3 season use, big mountain routes, Alpine summer and chilly weather UK hillwalking, it would have been better if this Burly stuff had been used throughout.

Perhaps you should have reviewed the Gamma AR then instead... Or does the fact it has 'all round' in its name spoil the fun?!
 galpinos 05 Jul 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

It does seem a bit of a mis-matched review in terms of the trousers picked. The main point missed is that has no-one noticed that the Rab Torque and Montane Alpine Stretch look hideous? I'm not going to shell out near £100 for something that'd make me look even more of a tit.
 Jubjab 05 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Too bad the Patagonia Guide Pants were not included. Those are quite popular so would have been nice to have them in the comparison.
 alasdair19 05 Jul 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

I really like my gamma rock as with a thermal underneath I can happily potter about at 4000m then de layer them and not die of heat walking down. the tapered leg is excellent for not catching on your crampons too.
In reply to galpinos:

> It does seem a bit of a mis-matched review in terms of the trousers picked.

I think it's just a selection of some soft shell trousers. I don't think it's really intended to be a direct comparison of near-identical offerings.

I don't know how UKC do it, but other 'class reviews' ask manufacturers to send a particular product (e.g. 'soft shell trousers') and they get whatever the manufacturers chooses to send.

Shame the review is only for 'high end' products, but I guess they're all likely advertisers. UKC has to be paid for somehow.
 simes303 06 Jul 2016

Trousers?
£160?
WHAT?
In reply to simes303:

Ah, but these aren't mere trousers; these are pants, or, in some cases, a pant...

More sanely priced items can be found: search the gear forum for suggestions.
 simes303 06 Jul 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

My clothing all comes from charity shops, apart from my socks and "pants".
 Andy Cloquet 15 Jul 2016

I have been using Simond's braces-style Alpine softshell for the last three Summer Alpine trips and they'll be with me this year, too. Not saying that they are any better than the well-reviewed products here but if you can get to Decathlon, their well worth the look.
I am not linked to either company so have nothing to gain from this Post, so if I am permitted to keep this linbk on my Post you might be able to look-see online first.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-700-pants-id_8100490.html

...and I notice that the 700 model is now the same price as the lighter model which I currently use.
In reply to Andy Cloquet:

Your link is to the Alpinism 700 trousers, which are full waterproofs. Good price, though; well spotted...

Damn. Out of stock in my size...
Post edited at 12:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...