My Kingdom for a proper Open Street Maps app...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 17 Jun 2016
Because European Data Roaming still is not really a Thing (nearly all networks charge for it unless you're already on a top-dollar contract), the need for a real offline map app is still very real. I am planning a multi-country tour for about a month from now and I am looking for a proper Open Street Maps app for Android - one that works.

I used to use OsmAnd. It has excellent voice navigation that actually tells you to turn BEFORE you're half-way through an intersection. If you tell it to speak German, you can even drive through the Alps without the risk of crashing due to laughter - a reaction that is often prompted by Google's English voice pronunciation of German town and road names. Unfortunately, recent updates to OsmAnd have made it more or less unusable. Most of the time, searching for a road name now returns no results and I often find myself staring at a blank screen.

I need a replacement. Primarily for car and bike directions, on roads, but the ability to see walking paths (which are present on OSM tile-sets) would be useful, sometimes.

I know the OSM data is actually pretty good. I have contributed to the project in the past and integrated OSM into several web applications, professionally. All I want is a real app that uses the data.

Please tell me that such a thing exists. What do you use? (Alternatively, suggestions for premium apps (with OSM maps or proprietary ones) are also welcome but, if it has a price ticket, it better be the dog's proverbials.)
(Posted in the Gear forum because maps are gear.)
 wbo 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie: isn't roaming a flat price across Europe?

BigBrother 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Disappointing to hear that Osmand has gone downhill. I used it a bit some time ago for bike path navigation although it was always annoying that the much better opencyclemap wasn't available to download for offline use.

I have been trying to get Here maps to work. I had heard good reports of it and it has downloadable maps for offline use and is free. However, so far I have hit 2 major problems. Firstly it doesn't seem to pick up my location reliably. The only way to get a good fix is to open google maps first which defeats the point. Secondly the screen keeps turning off even when plugged into a power source. I haven't tried the actual driving dirrections so perhaps it works then.
 Only a hill 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

All-in-one Offline Maps + or AlpineQuest fit the bill very well. I use both.
 climbwhenready 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Don't know about OSM but you might want to know that Tesco mobile are treating all EU usage (including data) as if it was the UK until the end of the summer.
 k_os 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Navmii (formerly NavFree) for in-car nav, OSMAnd for everything else. Navmii has been good for me and have used it for a few Euro trips
 Jack B 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

I have tried a few and settled back on OsmAnd. Mapfactor Navigator was OK, and might be worth a try.

With OsmAnd, think the internal data model for addresses is ... unusual. And not helped by the slightly odd data model OSM has. I've added Code Point Open postcode centroids on my phone, which helps a lot when searching for addresses. I look up the postcode, then zoom in enough to see street names and house numbers. Then pan around looking for probable parking places. The process is rather awkward though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...