Midges-how high a camping site to avoid the blighters!!!'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
coaster 09 Jun 2016
What altitude would I expect to avoid these little horrors this summer in the Scottish Highlands? Any info would be appreciated......
 sheelba 09 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

Midges are not altitude shy, I've been attacked on the top of Ben Macdui on a still day before. There is no escape.
coaster 09 Jun 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Thanks sheelba.

I will hope to find a breeze and assume that at a higher altitude I will encounter less of them.
 SimonCRMC 09 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

A breeze is your best friend here. Sadly sheelba is right!
coaster 09 Jun 2016
In reply to SimonCRMC:

Thanks SimonCRMC.

A breeze at say 1000m+ can make for a chilly camp,even in summer,but could be a small price to take my 12yr old son and myself on that long awaited summer camp.

Cheers.
 Trangia 09 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

When I did the Cuillin Ridge Traverse we bivied near King's Chimney at about 3000 ft and had no problems from them. However the next day when we arrived at Sligachan the buggers bit us to bits
coaster 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks Trangia.

It would appear to be a bit of Donald Duck as to whether we encounter them but I will assume that east is best and we plan to head to either Cairngorm or Ben MacDhui.

Cheers.

jonny taylor 09 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

Two weekends ago there were (amazingly) none in the forests of Rothiemurcus on a warm, humid, windless cloudy afternoon.

Last weekend at 1000m on Bynack More the temperature seemed to drop from too-hot-for-midges to too-cold-for-midges over the course of about half an hour, and we were only troubled by a couple of them.

That might be good news for you in the cairngorms, or might be a sign that they have just now hatched and will be out for your blood...
 Chris Murray 09 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

Rumour has it that Tim Peake got midged while passing over Scotland in the ISS.
 timjones 09 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

> What altitude would I expect to avoid these little horrors this summer in the Scottish Highlands? Any info would be appreciated......

Well above the snowline
 graeme jackson 10 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

marijuana - the smoke will keep them away and the campsite will be high.
 GreatApe 10 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

There were some on the summit of Ben Lui on Sunday morning (1130m), but none overnight in the Coire an Lochan at about 900m thanks to the breeze.
 d_b 10 Jun 2016
In reply to graeme jackson:

Tobacco actually works - nicotine is an excellent insecticide. They used to put it in mozzie coils.
 ianstevens 10 Jun 2016
In reply to sheelba:
> Midges are not altitude shy, I've been attacked on the top of Ben Macdui on a still day before. There is no escape.

They are (more so due to lower temps rather than anything else I believe) . The UK just has no substantial altitude.

Best bet is to a) hope for a light breeze or b) buy a repellent coil.
Post edited at 12:05
Removed User 12 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

Had to scarper off the top of Beinn Sgulaird on Thursday,they were biting in greater numbers than down at the campsite at sea level. Usually use Avons "Skin so soft"(makes you smell nice) but I didn't think I'd be bothered by them at altitude so I didn't take it with me. Still scratching multiple bites 3 days later.
 AG 13 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

Just get some smidge and a midge net and you'll be fine (and hope for a breeze). They were out in force at the bottom of ben vorlich at the weekend.
 top cat 13 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

I think you are ok above 20,000 feet. Maybe.
Rigid Raider 13 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

If you burn a couple of mossie coils around the tent entrance they will keep away.
 CurlyStevo 13 Jun 2016
In reply to coaster:

they were present at the top of the etive slabs last weekend. although that's probably only about 500 metres. I suspect on the west coast they are already present at most altitudes with enough (damp) vegetation.
In reply to coaster:

About 1m below sea level and lower is usually ok. Otherwise sorry...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...