REVIEW: Sea to Summit Reinforced Nylon Pocket Trowel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Gear 17 May 2016
Sea to Summit toilet trowel montage, 4 kbIt's not glamorous, but a toilet trowel is arguably an essential. Dan Bailey digs this lightweight, compact model from Sea to Summit

Read more
 TobyA 17 May 2016
In reply to UKH Gear:

I've had the metal blade version of this for years and perfectly good it is too, but my greatest regret is that S2S had to change the original name - no doubt after a sternly worded letter from that Californian mega corp with more cash on it books than God - as they were originally and wonderfully called the "iPood".
 malky_c 18 May 2016
In reply to UKH Gear:

Surely a solution looking for a problem? I just use the heel of my boot to kick a bit of a hole in the ground before dumping into it. One less thing to carry.
 Dell 18 May 2016
In reply to malky_c:

Probably not deep enough to keep your poo from coming back to the surface during heavy rain, if an animal digs it up, or to keep the topsoil from squelching into it if someone steps on it.
 malky_c 18 May 2016
In reply to Dell:

To be honest I doubt a lightweight plastic trowel is going to get a great deal deeper than my heel. Doing it somewhere out of the way where it shouldn't get stepped on helps.
 More-On 18 May 2016
In reply to malky_c:

> To be honest I doubt a lightweight plastic trowel is going to get a great deal deeper than my heel.

You'd be (pleasantly) surprised - I've had the equivalent coghlans version for 15 odd years and it is much better than the alternatives, i.e. boots, stones or sticks, and it's quicker.

Or it could be that as an archaeologist, I find digging a hole with a trowel second nature...
 Welsh Kate 18 May 2016
In reply to More-On:

Ooh, maybe there's a new life for my 4" pointing trowel (largely retired since I drifted more into ancient history than archaeology), but I actually use an MSR snow stake as my 'poo trowel'
 winhill 18 May 2016
In reply to UKH Gear:

I got a plastic one from wilkos for about two quid, doesn't fold but does have a cavity for paper. It has a much more pronounced v shape, which I though was better for digging hard ground, this much less so.

Can the boulder brush review be far behind?
 More-On 18 May 2016
In reply to Welsh Kate:

If it's still got enough blade left, then absolutely - or come back to fieldwork

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...